Why do HD800 headphones sounded weak when hook up to an iPod
Mar 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #16 of 76
Quote:
Nah.. he just handed me the headphone with 3.5 mm jack connector and that's it. He didn't warn me or anything. Later listening to a couple of minutes, I turn to him and ask why, he then told me that an iPod is not strong enough to amplify the cans. He say I should pair up with a PC or the iMac from the store. But sadly, all the stations were preoccupied, so no luck with trying them out. I might go back there for a another try, because I'm curious to hear them in its full glory....

You should go on a meet more often, or go to a "real" headphones store that will provide you with the proper setup and the proper knowledge if you want to hear a flagship headphones in its full glory sound. It is not your fault that you drive the HD800 with your ipod, because i'm assuming that you haven't got proper knowledge about the HD800 so you make this thread, right?

One day you might end up getting a Dacmini > W6SE/BCL > HD800.. who knows right?
redface.gif

Hearing is believing
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:
Nah.. he just handed me the headphone with 3.5 mm jack connector and that's it. He didn't warn me or anything. Later listening to a couple of minutes, I turn to him and ask why, he then told me that an iPod is not strong enough to amplify the cans. He say I should pair up with a PC or the iMac from the store. But sadly, all the stations were preoccupied, so no luck with trying them out. I might go back there for a another try, because I'm curious to hear them in its full glory....

What kind of store was that? Don't remember Best Buy stocking HD800.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #21 of 76
'Picky' doesn't mean they need loads of power. It means they need a sonically synergistic amp/dac. Much like the K70x imo.

-Daniel

Such a shame that it always boils down to opinion rather than fact. Seems an awful lot of money to have to spend to get the latest flavour of the month without a shred of evidence that it improves the sound quality in any audibly measurable way.
In my opinion we're just as lacking knowledge as the original poster of this thread. When the time comes that I can tell one dac or one amp apart from another under blind listening conditions with 80% accuracy I'm going to out on a limb and say keep your money in your pocket and your feet firmly on the ground

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #22 of 76

Such a shame that it always boils down to opinion rather than fact. Seems an awful lot of money to have to spend to get the latest flavour of the month without a shred of evidence that it improves the sound quality in any audibly measurable way.
In my opinion we're just as lacking knowledge as the original poster of this thread. When the time comes that I can tell one dac or one amp apart from another under blind listening conditions with 80% accuracy I'm going to out on a limb and say keep your money in your pocket and your feet firmly on the ground

and you're full of opinions as well, the only one here lacking knowledge is yourself. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #23 of 76
And what knowledge can you impart that I and the rest of the unenlightened could benefit from? That I should **** and keep my dumbass opinions to myself?
I think you had the common sense to edit that initial reply.
I thought this was supposed to be a fun forum where people can exchange their opinions and hopefully learn somethin along the way. Although I can take all the criticism going and admittedly do sometimes get ahead of myself I fail to see what your comment lends to the discussion.
I have nothing to gain with my opinion I just put it out there as a voice amongst many others. There is no need to take offence from it. Please feel free to ignore it , report it for rudeness or inappropriateness or simply ignore it.
I still enjoy music just as much as anyone else on this forum, I have a pair of hd800s too , so I reckon that gives me as much reason to be here as you. I am the skeptic you are the believer so convince me that I'm barking up the wrong tree.
:)

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 76
Am I the voice of madness or the voice of reason. I'm saying don't spend a cent don't spend a penny that you cannot prove to yourself makes a difference to your enjoyment of the music. Buy a cd instead and put it on your ipod shuffle as a 320 kbps knowing that's as good as your ears can hear it. And smile , you're most certifiably insane. And you've saved a packet in the meantime.
:)

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #29 of 76
Actually I went through 4 different amps-all that had plenty of power for the HD800-before I found one that made them acceptable to me. So yes, a matter of subjective synergy trumped objective measurements to convince me to keep the Senns. So I put my $$ where my mouth is-have you?

I've also heard an HD 800 out of an iPod lol and yes, sounds do come out. :/

-Daniel

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #30 of 76
What kind of "store" tosses around an hd800 as a demo unit terminated to miniplug and then provides an iPod to listen from?  The result straight out of a PC likely won't be that much different either btw.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back