Why did you do this to Speed Racer? WHHHYYY???
Dec 11, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Dec 11, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 36
What's wrong with updating a cartoon that had crappy animation? Would you have gone to see a new Speed Racer today if the animation was the same.

Didn't have speed racer growing up where I was. Will go see this for the technical aspect of it. It's being shot with one of the new High def cameras.

holy crap what's up with the novella sig there?

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 36
That looked way better than I would have expected. At least from the trailer it could a great combo of wacky animation spirit (bouncing off mountains and jumping lakes) and live action. And of course it's (as it should be) aimed at kids.

May be a Dicky Tracy that doesn't suck.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with updating a cartoon that had crappy animation? Would you have gone to see a new Speed Racer today if the animation was the same.

Modern computer aided, rotoscoped animation isn't much like the crappy animation of an old TV series and can have fantastic results at reasonably affordable production cost. There's no need to use the antiquated, and now rather expensive, animation style that was in use when the Speed Racer TV show was animated.

Then again, the market for traditional animation is quite a bit smaller than the CG animation market and that's probably what drove the decision to use live actors and CG. Transformers did the same thing and made a killing, as opposed to the huge losses incurred with the animated Transformers: The Movie. Trailer does make it look like it'll be a more successful adaptation than Transformers.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 36
I gotta go with Jahn on this one. It just didn't feel like Speed Racer anymore. I may see it, but it would have to be because a group of friends are feeling bored and nostalgic at the same time.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 36
Next............Johnny Quest! :wink:

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 36
Ah, I knew I'd heard about the remake before. Christina Ricci plays Trixie.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 36
I dunno actually, I was apprehensive about the movie once it was announced but the trailer looks better than what I expected. To be honest though, as a fan of the cartoon, it just doesn't feel like the Speed Racer I spend hours watching when I was a kid.

As a movie, well, we've gotta wait and see for that
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by torpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest though, as a fan of the cartoon, it just doesn't feel like the Speed Racer I spend hours watching when I was a kid.

They'd have to have quite a long script to maintain the original show's pace of dialogue.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They'd have to have quite a long script to maintain the original show's pace of dialogue.
biggrin.gif

Hahaha
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 36
Ugh. I'd rather see it animated like the original. That was a big part of the charm. You don't need modern gee-whiz computer stuff to tell a story. Even the original Godzilla holds up well with just a guy in a rubber suit.

And this looks like another example of people taking cartoons and comics far too seriously. They're lightweight entertainment, not a dissertation.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #15 of 36
Rain (jung ji hoon) is in this movie. Thats the only reason I will watch this movie...the dude hardly speaks english I want to see how far he has progressed. There were reports that the chimp bit some of the actors on set lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back