Why did YOU buy an Ultrasone?
Nov 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 33
h2o free copper??????

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
Don't feed the troll guys, this is from his other post...
Looks to me that the impressions of others is the key feature.
popcorn.gif

And then to come here and call Ultrasones Trash...
mad.gif

And this is coming from "TrollDragon"
I originally never wanted the impression of others.
Most of my colleagues are so-called "beats freaks"
I just wanted to show them what headphones SHOULD sound like.
It's funny that you would mention that post I made, cause I bought the ultrasones whilst following those exact guidelines.
Frankly, I wish I hadn't.
Just curious why others still do.

EDIT: I bought the pro 900's. Auditioned some other models but the supposed "good" sound was still absent. I would MUCH rather prefer my junky m50's.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
It's funny that you would mention that post I made, cause I bought the ultrasones whilst following those exact guidelines.

Do you like coffee or tea?

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 33
why?   because I wanted to hear them for myself.  I found a good sale price on Amazon.  That said, I like different sound signatures.  I would get bored with just one set of headphones.  I like them as a part of my rotation. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #21 of 33
I bought the Ultrasone Pro 900 as my first audiophile headphone.
I disliked them a lot.

The first pair i got had a bad left driver. After many hours over the phone, Ultrasone sent me a brand new pair of Pro 900's. It took 5-6 weeks to receive the new pair of Pro 900's.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:
Depends on which type of coffee and which kind of tea. 
wink_face.gif

Ew how could you like anything other than water?

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

EDIT: I bought the pro 900's. Auditioned some other models but the supposed "good" sound was still absent. I would MUCH rather prefer my junky m50's.

All this goes to show is preference towards a signature. Judging an entire production of headphones based on your limited, short time period, exposure to a single headphone from Ultrasone only goes to show that you don't like that particular headphone. I think the PRO900 is rather awful myself. But there are good Ultrasone headphones, and I found that out by actually listening to most of them and not just basing all of Ultrasone off their one very, very wonky headphone, the PRO900.

Broaden your horizons. And don't scream the sky is falling when you only look at a single section of it.

Very best,

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

As was explained in another thread...
Troll is a nickname I had before residential internet was even around...
I managed a warehouse nicknamed "The Keep" for an Atari / Commodore dealer in Toronto. Since I was the only one at said "Keep", the sales slime's would call up looking for stock from the "Troll" of The Keep (as we all played D&D back in those days) and the handle stuck... The Dragon part comes from joining the usenet group Ultima Dragons...

If you chose to open this thread with a logical "I really don't understand why people buy Ultrasones.... listened to this one and that one... didn't like them so I want your reasoning as to why..." You probably would have got a better reception. Once the attack starts the other haters appear out of the woodwork and it all goes down hill for what purpose?

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

All this goes to show is preference towards a signature. Judging an entire production of headphones based on your limited, short time period, exposure to a single headphone from Ultrasone only goes to show that you don't like that particular headphone. I think the PRO900 is rather awful myself. But there are good Ultrasone headphones, and I found that out by actually listening to most of them and not just basing all of Ultrasone off their one very, very wonky headphone, the PRO900.

Broaden your horizons. And don't scream the sky is falling when you only look at a single section of it.

Very best,

One day MalVeauX I hope to be as diplomatic as yourself good sir.

Instead of just dropping the boot into the face the first hater that pokes their head up. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Very best,

I have auditioned a lot of the edition series, but none were of any improvement compared to their lower tier headphones. I have yet to try the hfi series, but I hardly think that ultrasone's lowest tier headphones would sound any better. If you could dig deeper into this sound signature you're talking about, that'd be great. 

Pretty sure I explained that I've auditioned some other models though. 
rolleyes.gif

Auditioned some other models but the supposed "good" sound was still absent.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 33
I've heard the ED8, ED9, 2900, pro900 and 750 at least... They all sucked. I came to that conclusion by listening to them. Later on came graphs and developed a trend. They too show that they suck. Preference of signature? Sure, but it's a signature that sucks. When you get to a certain price point you want much more than just signature. You want a fast, clean headphone. As little distortion as possible and for most as linear FR as possible. If these parameters are met, it's most often a headphone that resolves. 

Any of the aforementioned Ultrasones do not meet any of the aforementioned criteria. 

To take a less steep stance. If you like mainly or only listen to hip hop, electronic or monotonic pop music, the headphone doesn't necessarily need to follow any ideals or be accurate in any sense. When we strip the listener/potential buyer of any other requirements, "preference of signature" is enough. In most cases however, I don't think it's that simple.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #28 of 33
I've never seen anyone describe Ultrasones as "extremely fast, clean and transparent, great for lament arias and Vieuxtemps".

They're almost universally described as being aggressive, exaggerated, synthetic, "hi fi" sounding.
Simply reading about them should have prevented you from being shocked by their sound.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #30 of 33
Well, my HFI-780s arrived today, and I am very happy with them. They are the only Ultrasones I have heard, so I couldn't speak to any brand-wide sound signature though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back