Why did George Lucas wait forever to release the original SW trilogy on DVD?
Oct 18, 2004 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
It's just an incredibly bizarre decision to wait soooo long after DVDs came out to release them. Was there some bizarre equation of profits with a variable that took years to be satisfied? Anyone have any wild guesses?
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 20
He had stated that he did not want to even start thinking about them until he finished the prequels and then would release all 6 in one set.

But I guess greed and pressure finally set in.

So look at it this way. You could still be waiting.

-Ed

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 20
I did hear a rumor a long time ago that Lucas wanted to wait until the prequels were finished, so he can unleash the entire Star Wars movie line on DVD. That, it seems, is no longer the case. Maybe it's now to drum up excitment for the last Star Wars movie?

Probably it is all $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Indiana Jones took awhile as well.

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 20
Well, now he gets to release another DVD set with all 6... about 1 year after episode 3 comes out. Then another 6 months will pass before the collectors edition will come out. Finally, he'll finish it off with a platinum collectors edition with additional behind the scenes stuff. After that comes episode 7+
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 20
According to HDDVD.org, or someother hd dvd site, Lucas was committed to releasing the original star wars trilogy on dvd when the hd standard was finally agreed on. I think the "technical" adoption by the dvd forum of the AOD (toshiba/nec) technology may be the guiding principle. But, with microsoft pushing its technology and sony (columbia-tristar) pushing blue ray, (not to mention JVC's hd vhs) the release of hd dvds has been delayed again. I guess Lucas finally became impatient with all the delays caused by the inability of the studios to come to an agreement. I wouldn't be surprised if when we finally see the original trilogy on dvd, it comes in some sort of hybrid disc that can be read on conventional machines and hd machines. AOD can also be read by conventional machines, but I don't know whether this is the technology that Lucas has finally agreed to use.

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 20
He didn't release the originals. He released the abominations that he calls the originals. Luca$ has gone on record as stating the original edit no longer exists in his mind. Reminds me of the South Park episode...

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 20
Besides... it doesn't really matter as far as the format is concerned. He already has them on HD broadcast tapes. All you have to do is recapture and compress in whatever hd dvd format comes out.

Oct 19, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

It's just an incredibly bizarre decision to wait soooo long after DVDs came out to release them. Was there some bizarre equation of profits with a variable that took years to be satisfied? Anyone have any wild guesses?

Yeah.So idiots like me would buy the VHS boxed set three years ago !!!!
rolleyes.gif

all about the money.anyone remember the first E.T. VHS videocassette ? The one with the partial green casing so you knew it was a an authorized copy ?

got suckered into that one also man....

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I am STILL waiting for the original SW trilogy on DVD
rolleyes.gif

agreed. i bought the DVDs that came out, and there is just too much extra crap in them. I don't even mind changing a few little details to make is sync up with the prequels, but those "special edition" sequences have to go.

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
According to HDDVD.org, or someother hd dvd site, Lucas was committed to releasing the original star wars trilogy on dvd when the hd standard was finally agreed on. I think the "technical" adoption by the dvd forum of the AOD (toshiba/nec) technology may be the guiding principle. But, with microsoft pushing its technology and sony (columbia-tristar) pushing blue ray, (not to mention JVC's hd vhs) the release of hd dvds has been delayed again. I guess Lucas finally became impatient with all the delays caused by the inability of the studios to come to an agreement.

I think this is spot on Bunnyears.

Oct 19, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 20
RROOKKKAAASSS BAAADDDDDD!!!! MRRAAHHHRRRRR!!!!

I finally got my girlfriend to watch star wars for the first time.(yah star wars, not Star Wars IV: A New Hope) I kind of wish I hadn't. Nothing puts in to perspective how bad the new movies are as watching the old greats, and seeing new garbage spliced in.(i.e. jabba's palace's extended dance scene from Return of the Jedi)

The problem is that Lucas is like an abusive boyfriend, and we are all his b*tches. No matter how much we piss and moan, we are going to line up for whatever b.s. he puts out next, and he knows it.

Oct 19, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
The problem is that Lucas is like an abusive boyfriend, and we are all his b*tches. No matter how much we piss and moan, we are going to line up for whatever b.s. he puts out next, and he knows it.

Lol, funny way to put it, however I was so annoyed with episode 1 that I refused to see the next movie in theaters, and I was so annoyed with the strange handling of the DVD releases that I refuse to buy those too. I'm sure I'm not alone either.

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I think this is spot on Bunnyears.

I'm not so sure. I picture Lucas as someone who would love to sell us the same movie 3-4 times on every new format available. It's just obviously going to be up to him what we get and when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back