Why can't you have battery powered electrostatic amps?
Jul 23, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #62 of 83
For stax pro phones you need more then 500 volts! Think it was 550 or something. Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
more like a voltage multiplier,an couple of example of which can be seen over at Steve Bench's web page.

Take any 12 volt battery,connect it to a "backwards" 12VAC transformer and you will get 120 volts out (instead of the normal use where 120 VAC in=12 VAC out).Use diode voltage multiplier network on this and you are in the 300VDC range and the only question becomes how much current you need to go with that voltage "upper"
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
A bit of a bump, eh? Well, this is an interesting subject, so it's worthy of it. Why not a single manufacturer makes a portible ESH amp is beyond me. If I can find some time (big if) I'm planning on whipping together a little class D jobbie and seeing how well it works.

Well, IMHO one of the biggest things about a portable amp is that...it must be pretty. I know this "shouldn't" be a bit deal but when someone is going to cart around some big-bum electrostats outside they won't be wanting the amp to look like a brick outhouse. They will want bragging rights and for SURE I think that means pretty, pretty, pretty! The larger it ends up being in the end, the prettier it will have to be to keep those "bragging rights". I guess it's the theory of why so many people wanted to continue using the iPod buds - "white", and therefore "bragging rights".

I could also see some form of combined carry case for the E-amp and the iPod together, to make something (again) really classy. I wonder if the E-amp can end up the same total dimensions as the ubiquitous iPod, just thicker if need be, then bundled together in a classy case. Marketing, folks.
lambda.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #64 of 83
I've always been tempted to stuff a t-amp into a SRD-7...

Now would that actually sound good.. I dunno. But probably better than that SRD-X.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #65 of 83
This is a battery powered amp for low and high bias Stax phones. It runs off 6 c cells. I usually use mine with a transformer for the SR003 but have recently been using them very nicely with the 404 on Dolby Headphone. It's a little underpowered for the 404, but after the unit warms up it seems to have adequate power.

It is no longer made but you can find them on e-bay and Audiogon.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

Now would that actually sound good.. I dunno. But probably better than that SRD-X.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Wrong tripath amp perhaps? =P

Has anyone on this forum tried out the Charlize from diyparadise? From what I've heard its warmer than the t-amp (at the very least), but how much warmer?

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #67 of 83
If anyone stumbles across one of these, give me a buzz.
Srmxpro.jpg

Got to love those external power supplies.

Anyone been in contact with Kevin recently? I'm curious to know how his portable amp is coming along.

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Yes the thing will have a standard 5 pin stax plug. Will run any headphone.

Nice. I've really been eyeing the MKII lately because I love my 005A system so much. How long would the battery possibly last inside your amp driving a 003, and can it be recharged inside the amp?

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Black Gates do not a fundamentally mediocre amp improve.
(exhibit a. PPA)

Anyway, Black Gates or not I'd like to see something actually portable.

I disagree on the PPA as a fundamentally mediocre amp bit. For what it costs it does quite well for itself, Black Gates or no.

Aug 28, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #70 of 83
Any news? I really hope this isn't dead
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #71 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

biggrin.gif

Never having heard the SRD-X, I can't comment on it. I can say that the T-amp through an SRD-7 Pro drives the HE90 pretty well, and the sound is surprisingly good.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #72 of 83
Sorry if I missed some info on this elsewhere -but did something more happen with this!?

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #74 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more like a voltage multiplier,an couple of example of which can be seen over at Steve Bench's web page.

Take any 12 volt battery,connect it to a "backwards" 12VAC transformer and you will get 120 volts out (instead of the normal use where 120 VAC in=12 VAC out).Use diode voltage multiplier network on this and you are in the 300VDC range and the only question becomes how much current you need to go with that voltage "upper"
wink.gif

Connecting a 12VDC battery backwards to a 12AC trasformer will not work! A transformer needs varying current so you need to pulse the 12VDC such as an inverter circuit to work. Maybe you intended this in your post. As it was written, it appears as though you were saying just connect the battery to the transformer and you get 120V out. A simple inverter circuit can be made with a couple of transistors and capacitors working as a multivibrator.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #75 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by sango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im bringing this thread back to life by asking, where did kevin gilmores portable electrostatic amp go??

I believe he never received the custom transformers he had in order. Last time the topic came up he had waited ~6 months, and still not received any.

Justin (HeadAmp) are thinking about building a portable electrostatic amplifier, with a built in DAC.
Who knows when it will happen though!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back