Why buy a Macbook?
Jun 17, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #241 of 431

Quote:
Why is it so hard to find an i7-QM 17", with a 280M or 5870?  Seriously, only the ASUS seems to be in the running here.

The HP DV8T looked promising, until you see that it's locked in with a 230M.  Half the power of a 5870?  No thanks.

For your consideration:
1) http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=271∏_no=2073
2) http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodnbspec&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=271&cat3_no=∏_no=1999

Most laptops can be customized so if you want better specs you can upgrade them at purchase or upgrade later on down the road, just check to make sure the GPU is MXM if you want better graphics later.

I believe the gtx 480 is also available for pre-order if you are interested. If you want a gaming laptop with higher end specs you can check out: sager, alienware, falcon northwest, clevo, asus, msi among others. I recommend these not for the flash but because gaming laptops have nicer components.

I have had several HP's, usually they are good for word processing and day to day tasks and some light gaming but nothing serious.

I've seen several ASUS and MSI laptops around and I've heard good things about their customer service if you want to check them out.

As far as Turion based CPU's go. There is nothing wrong with them. I have a Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 @ 2.2 GHz and it hasn't held me back. I also have a 7200 rpm hard drive and slot loading drive (pioneer) along with a 12 cell battery, just a few personal touches.

If you really want a Mac go for it. I honestly have no grudge against them. They do what they are designed to do but for a premium. A premium which I do not believe is warranted.

If you want a custom build I can suggest a few components or a few nice laptops if you want to go the laptop route. Either way I wish you the best of luck in your purchase.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #242 of 431
I thought, with MXM cards, you can't EASILY upgrade the video card, doing so will void most warranties, and they're mostly backwards compatible, not forwards.  (IE: If I bought a laptop with a 230M, and wanted to replace it with a 480M later, it wouldn't be compatible.)

It is definitely something to look forward to.  I wish someone would start making TOTALLY customizable 17" laptops.  Barebones with two empty drive bays, MXM, TurboCache compatibility, PM55/HM55 chipset (Mobile i-series compatibility), 1900x1200 LED screen, 12 cell battery...  Only things included being the screen, battery, AC adapter, chassis, and motherboard.

Also, thanks for the MSI links, I forgot that they've been competing for top-end gaming notebooks.  It also looks like the 285M in single config edges out the 5870 in single config.  Definitely interesting...  I just really don't like the emphasis on sound quality...  They're laptop-embedded speakers; any mediocre setup would destroy them.  I don't want to pay for something I'm not going to use.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #243 of 431
I think the GT660 looks a bit goofy (I don't get why gaming=LEDs), but that's a lot of power under the hood. I wouldn't necessarily discount the audio, if it means it can play loud, undistorted audio, even if it's not high fidelity. It can be handy if you ever need to share audio or a presentation to a group of people who just need to be able to hear it. 

Do I spy 6 channel analog outputs on the right side? If so, that's really nifty. I'd be curious if the USB 3.0 is implemented to maximize throughput without negatively impacting graphics performance. That may not be a deal breaker in real world use. 

You'll have to let use know what you get, with pictures, of course. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #244 of 431

Quote:
I thought, with MXM cards, you can't EASILY upgrade the video card, doing so will void most warranties, and they're mostly backwards compatible, not forwards.  (IE: If I bought a laptop with a 230M, and wanted to replace it with a 480M later, it wouldn't be compatible.)

It is definitely something to look forward to.  I wish someone would start making TOTALLY customizable 17" laptops.  Barebones with two empty drive bays, MXM, TurboCache compatibility, PM55/HM55 chipset (Mobile i-series compatibility), 1900x1200 LED screen, 12 cell battery...  Only things included being the screen, battery, AC adapter, chassis, and motherboard.

Also, thanks for the MSI links, I forgot that they've been competing for top-end gaming notebooks.  It also looks like the 285M in single config edges out the 5870 in single config.  Definitely interesting...  I just really don't like the emphasis on sound quality...  They're laptop-embedded speakers; any mediocre setup would destroy them.  I don't want to pay for something I'm not going to use.

The problem with MXM's is not the cards but the laptop's motherboards which are designed for very specific components. It doesn't help that AMD/Intel/ATI/NVIDIA release a new card or socket every other month. You couldn't upgrade from a gt 230 to a gtx 480 because of heat and size constraints, but I get the point.

There are DIY Laptops (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/diy_notebooks/), but they are generally more expensive than buying online.

No problem. I love MSI's between MSI and ASUS I have the laptop market covered. Although, I have an odd and inexplicable attraction to HP's tablets (tx2000, tx2500, tx2z,...etc). I guess it must be because I favor small PC's and prefer laptops over desktops. I don't really see myself purchasing a touchscreen based convertible tablet until all my textbooks are digital which won't be any time to soon thanks to pirates.

Although the gtx 285 might edge out the 5870 slightly I believe the 5870's drivers might not be as mature, but they are both fairly new cards; for laptops at least. I would be interested to see the SLI vs. Crossfire performance. Usually SLI runs better than Crossfire for the most part.

By the way i saw this article today on fudzilla and couldn't resist posting it here. Don't hate me. I realize it's biased and won't strengthen the argument for either side, but you got to admit its funny. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/19224/1/

Anyway I'm going to go chill online. I'll probably be either catching up on E3, playing some bf2142, or researching my case mod.

Anyone heard any cool tracks lately? I'm a little behind on my trance. Just heard: Luke Terry feat. Kerry Leva - Arpora (John O'Callaghan Remix) on ASOT 461. Something about it just makes me want to move.

I'm still trying to find Philippe EL Sisi's - The Last Hope, at a music download store but haven't had that much luck. Anyway, I'll try to check here from time to time.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #245 of 431

Quote:
I realize it's biased and won't strengthen the argument for either side, but you got to admit its funny. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/19224/1/

Anyway I'm going to go chill online. I'll probably be either catching up on E3, playing some bf2142, or researching my case mod.

Between that and GameCrush.com, geeks are not getting a good name. Whenever news like that gets published, I die a little inside. If I found out someone I know used either of those services, there would be an intervention. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #246 of 431
I've been looking around at some of the cool tech on the market and noticed a few concepts:

1) streammygame.com; haven't seen it first hand but according to what I can read you can play games on a low-end laptop (pc/mac/linux) etc. and stream your gameplay over the internet from your own gaming PC. Kind of like Onlive but you run the hardware. Obviously if you're interested in work and productivity this won't affect you, but maybe you could get a nice desktop back at home. And have a laptop on the go using no machine/VM ware or some other 3rd party software to access your resources on the go. Of course you would need broadband or wireless to keep going if you are on the go.

2) I was also looking at linux. The whole idea of booting Linux on an eSATA HDD (or eSATA flashdrive) seems awesome, I've installed Linux on an eSATA HDD, the plan is to install WINE/Cedega and bf2142/halo PC (I have 2 copies of each; hey, I support games that I like) on the drive; in theory I good bring my laptop and an eSATA storage unit and play against my friends just by lending them my eSATA flashdrive/HDD for the duration of the game and since I'm not transferring any files it should all be completely legal (referring to the warnings on many PC games regarding copying); (Here's an example of a eSATA flash drive, you can also get SSD's and eSATA enclosures fairly cheap; and then there's usb 3.0: e.g.: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=eSATA+flash+drive&x=0&y=0).

Does anyone think its odd we don't have terminals yet. Standardized PC's where everyone carries their OS and data on a pen drive and just plugs it in when they need access. I think it would be cool. If someone could develop a universal computer designed for all around tasks and have them widely distributed; we wouldn't be fighting over why to buy a mac or a pc. But i'm a dreamer, most of the tech I had in mind 10 years ago is only becoming possible now.

Post back here when you decide what to get. I'm interested to see what you end up doing regardless of what platform or hardware.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #247 of 431
My god I read the first page then notices there was/is 17 pages!
I have often wondered the same thing as the OP... Why do I see so many people who make videos and do graphics design using Macs? Furthermore how have they created a stereotype of being either an artist or in a band to own one?
Anyhow... why am I planning to buy a Macbook Pro? For the complete package it offers, at a premium of course.
I have build my own gaming pc's ever since I can remember and this MBP will be my first ever Apple product outside of the iPod I bought when I was 14. Point is I'm not some avid fan-boy.

Here are some of the reason why I'm buying one;
  1. They look beautiful
  2. The touch-pad is exceptional
  3. OS X
  4. Curiosity
  5. Build quality (You may disagree, so be it)
  6. Battery life (Yet again, if you disagree so be it)

I once heard my friend saying that Mac's are going to be one of those products remembered through time... I have to agree with her.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #248 of 431

Quote:

1. They look beautiful
  3. OS X
  4. Curiosity

I once heard my friend saying that Mac's are going to be one of those products remembered through time... I have to agree with her.

Most Mac's are rather sturdy, but they aren't designed for heat flow (therefore underclocked) and we all know they copied the keyboard from Sony. I find the touch pad irritating. It doesn't have a separated left and right click button (or any right click button at all) and multi-touch, please. I can get a full fledged multi-touch screen on a PC. Pushing two buttons for a right click doesn't count. OS X works fine. It's just not a universal platform. It runs on very specific requirements and has horrible 3rd party driver support. I wouldn't say they are beautiful by any means. The whole apple on the back ruins the look. And I don't like curvy, I like angular and jagged. And a lot of laptops now a days can get just as many if not more hours than a macbook on battery and much nicer chassis (wood, leather, aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber, industrial grade paint, etc.). Plus you get better hardware and software (yeah here the flames come....) for cheaper.

Yes the macbook will be remembered throughout time along with other great inventions such as the pet rock, the battery powered battery charger, the helicopter ejection seat (below the rotor), solar powered flash light, sound activated alarms (hard to turn off), and the inflatable dart board. Yes these are all real inventions.

All sarcasm aside Apple will be remember for inventing the GUI. The rest not so much, depends on how the next decade or so goes. They will need better support/drivers. Jobs should bend to the user not the other way around.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #250 of 431

Quote:
I'm still not sure.  As negative towards them as I'm being, I want to borrow one, or spend an afternoon on one at the very least, before I make a decision.  Tinkering in the OS on hardware it's meant to be on would be nice.

That said, I'm leaning towards a Quadro or 5870-based PC.  Just so much more power for the price.

Yeah, having first hand experience over time sure would help.
As you can make a decision on your own, and not "just" based on the impressions of other members. Especially since there are strong MacBook believers and non-believers around here...

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #251 of 431

Quote:

The whole apple on the back ruins the look. And I don't like curvy, I like angular and jagged. And a lot of laptops now a days can get just as many if not more hours than a macbook on battery and much nicer chassis (wood, leather, aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber, industrial grade paint, etc.).

That's what I want, an angular, jagged, industrially painted POS with a wooden chassis 
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, the Apple on the back rocks, wouldn't have it any other way!

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #252 of 431

Quote:
My god I read the first page then notices there was/is 17 pages!
I have often wondered the same thing as the OP... Why do I see so many people who make videos and do graphics design using Macs? Furthermore how have they created a stereotype of being either an artist or in a band to own one?
Anyhow... why am I planning to buy a Macbook Pro? For the complete package it offers, at a premium of course.
I have build my own gaming pc's ever since I can remember and this MBP will be my first ever Apple product outside of the iPod I bought when I was 14. Point is I'm not some avid fan-boy.

1. They look beautiful
  3. OS X
  4. Curiosity

The original reason a lot of graphic design was done on Macs was that the colour management was better.  I have to say though, the reason people buy Macs is because of Mac OS X (and iLife) at the very least. 

For me, I have an XBox for gaming.  In the end I chose it over building a PC for gaming, as it "just works" and I don't have to keep worrying about upgrades so I can play the latest games.

What quite a few PC users I know have done is, bought a Mac Mini and moved all their email and web browsing on to it, while using their PC for gaming or whatever pro apps they've already invested in.  If we add iLife into that mix, it's quite a neat way to do the above and manage photos and video as well.  You just need an external HD for Time Machine and you're set.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #253 of 431

Quote:
The original reason a lot of graphic design was done on Macs was that the colour management was better.  I have to say though, the reason people buy Macs is because of Mac OS X (and iLife) at the very least. 

For me, I have an XBox for gaming.  In the end I chose it over building a PC for gaming, as it "just works" and I don't have to keep worrying about upgrades so I can play the latest games.

What quite a few PC users I know have done is, bought a Mac Mini and moved all their email and web browsing on to it, while using their PC for gaming or whatever pro apps they've already invested in.  If we add iLife into that mix, it's quite a neat way to do the above and manage photos and video as well.  You just need an external HD for Time Machine and you're set.

I agree with the fact that mac's generally have very nice screen's but a screen can always be purchases separately for desktops and there are laptops with nice screen's out there. PC's get a bad rep because of the average consumer who spends $600 or less, or users who just buy hp or dell/retail even if they spend $1000. Hardcore PC users know what they are doing and either build or know where to look when buying.

I have a Xbox 360/PSP/PS1/Gamecube/GBA in addition to my PC, but in my opinion consoles are killing the gaming industry. They were essential to getting gaming on it's feet and keeping it there, but consoles are holding PC's back. Now that everyone has one it's more about releasing games as fast as possible for maximum profit. I've even lost faith in Nintendo. The whole motion controller and touchscreen interfaces are innovative, but not ideal for gaming.

If your worried about not being able to run a game on PC or upgrading; as long as your PC has a decent GPU you should be fine and I'm not talking a million dollars here either. You could get by with a $50 GPU for low/medium settings but you can spend as little as $100 (ATI 4850) and max most games for the next few years since the current gen of consoles will be around at least till 2012. I Imagine in 2012, games will experience a massive leap in scale and graphical appearance. Not any better just shinier so I imagine the average Mac/PC user will think it's better and the Linux guys will just laugh at them both as they boot linux on the consoles for use as a decently spec'd cheap computer. All the console gamers will be bragging it looks better than PC. No; a console will never look better than a high end gaming rig since consoles basically use modified versions of older GPU's (sony/nintendo/microsoft are probably designing their cards right now so when it comes out it will be old tech and ancient by the time the following generation comes out).

I think the Xbox and PS3 shouldn't be trying to go for motion capture like Nintendo. I believe that even though the gaming industry is booming that gaming is dying. I consider myself among the last few true PC gamers. I still play DOS games from time to time and lot of modern games (last decade to today), but COD6 is bad and BFBC2 has nothing on BF2142. Yes I own both, own most games on the market actually. Some on multiple platforms.

Anyone who buys a Mac Mini is making a mistake. The hardware is laughable. Honestly you'd be better off getting a macbook than a mac mini. The new model costs a $1000 and has laughable specs even by mac standards.

Just for laughs I spent a few hours and ran a few quick render of a potential PC Mini Mod (btw there are PC's such as this in existence that already destroy the new mac mini; this is just a more specialized design): See below for internal and external design.

This build would be $550 for the hardware and $150 for the chassis (carbon fiber layered on steel (or other metal with better heat properties)). This render is 8.25 x 6.95 x 3.04 in. The power supply is external but small (laptop charger). This was designed with a NVIDIA 9600 gt. I could use MXM and a riser to decrease thickness and make it the same height as the mac mini but that's not the point. There's still room to spare, but I'd rather not get into MXM's unless I decide to go with this build. Right now a linux laptop cloud gaming from my own gaming rig seems cooler. Furthermore I could mount a quad core with a 5670, but I used an i3 530, 2 gb ddr3 1333, and a 250 gb 7200 rpm hdd with a slot loading drive to keep power consumption down.

Let me know what you think. Right now my latest fascination is too put Linux on an eSATA flash drive and boot games from it using WINE or Cedega. That and rebuilding a chassis for my Pioneer HDJ-1000's.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #254 of 431

Quote:

I agree with the fact that mac's generally have very nice screen's but a screen can always be purchases separately for desktops and there are laptops with nice screen's out there. PC's get a bad rep because of the average consumer who spends $600 or less, or users who just buy hp or dell/retail even if they spend $1000. Hardcore PC users know what they are doing and either build or know where to look when buying.

I have a Xbox 360/PSP/PS1/Gamecube/GBA in addition to my PC, but in my opinion consoles are killing the gaming industry. They were essential to getting gaming on it's feet and keeping it there, but consoles are holding PC's back. Now that everyone has one it's more about releasing games as fast as possible for maximum profit. I've even lost faith in Nintendo. The whole motion controller and touchscreen interfaces are innovative, but not ideal for gaming.

If your worried about not being able to run a game on PC or upgrading; as long as your PC has a decent GPU you should be fine and I'm not talking a million dollars here either. You could get by with a $50 GPU for low/medium settings but you can spend as little as $100 (ATI 4850) and max most games for the next few years since the current gen of consoles will be around at least till 2012. I Imagine in 2012, games will experience a massive leap in scale and graphical appearance. Not any better just shinier so I imagine the average Mac/PC user will think it's better and the Linux guys will just laugh at them both as they boot linux on the consoles for use as a decently spec'd cheap computer. All the console gamers will be bragging it looks better than PC. No; a console will never look better than a high end gaming rig since consoles basically use modified versions of older GPU's (sony/nintendo/microsoft are probably designing their cards right now so when it comes out it will be old tech and ancient by the time the following generation comes out).

I definitely agree that Windows PCs get a bad rap because of the cheap, bad examples out there. They generally don't lead to user satisfaction. I really wish the garbage, loss-leader mentality to product design needs to die. I'm not singling out computers either. That applies to nearly everything. You get what you pay for. 

When talking to many enthusiast PC users (where enthusiast means someone who enjoys being up on the latest gear, enjoys building and upgrading computers, and gets satisfaction out of maxing performance) I often get the sense that their way is the "right" way. It obviously doesn't fit everyone. I definitely understand their frustration with Apple's product line, because it leaves several markets underserved. Apple can't do everything, nor should they. As far as I can tell, the enthusiast market is being served very well by so many other companies. 

I find the iPad fascinating because it's so divisive. The device is very Apple. A lot of enthusiasts flat out hate it. It deviates so far from traditional computers, and it has severe technical limitations. But it does offer a very compelling user experience that a lot of everyday people enjoy using, and find easy to use. I personally get excited when technology gets "regular" people excited, and Apple has been doing a lot of that lately. I feel we should embrace that. And that leads me nicely into gaming.

I've played computer games longer than console games. (This is the time I'll share my dark secret: When other families got an Apple II or a Commodore 64, we got an Atari 800. When others got an Amiga, we got an Atari ST. We did get Macs though.)  And I had some great times. My first official console was an NES. I'm still a gamer to this day. My wife was never really a gamer, but she appreciates what they can offer. She is blown away by some of the games I've played (Metal Gear Solid, Half Life 2, the Mass Effects, GTA IV, and lately Red Dead Redemption), but she's frustrated because the barriers to entry are so high for her. The controls, even in console games, can be quite complex. She hasn't developed the habits or learned the gaming vernacular we take for granted. Traditional games frustrate her. What does she keep going back to? Rock Band. Wii Sports Resort. She can play those. She has a blast. More importantly, she's psyched she can engage in one of my favorite pastimes with me. 

I know a lot of traditional gamers scoff at motion control. "It's a fad." Maybe it will be, but my hope is that it does get new people to get into gaming. We got my in-laws a Wii for Christmas and they love it. Years ago, I could not imagine ever gaming with them. I don't want gaming to be so insular. I want new people to enjoy what I've enjoyed for so long, and hopefully get why gaming has shaped my perception and tastes. Forget motion. Consoles in general have brought tons of people into gaming, and there's a wide variety of software for almost any taste. I don't think consoles are killing PC gaming, and I don't think they will. Gaming is changing and evolving though; there's no doubt about that. (As an aside, one point you made is that consoles helped establish gaming, sort of implying a possible shift back to general use computers. I could sort of see that as a possibility, with the Xbox 360 and especially the PS3 showing a sort of blending of the two sides. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with my PS3 for that reason, but that's because the frosted side of me prefers a console that behaves more like a console, not less.)

I think you said earlier something along the lines of 'Jobs should bend to the will of the users.' There are two perspectives to that. First, there's the enthusiast perspective, in which case Apple's proprietary, integrated systems are frustrating and limiting (I'd again argue that Apple can choose to ignore this market for longer still, as enthusiasts are pretty well covered). Then there's the "average Joe" perspective, who don't want to change to be better computer users. They'd prefer to have more intuitive human/computer interactions from technology that has been designed to adapt to them. 

Quote:
Anyone who buys a Mac Mini is making a mistake. The hardware is laughable. Honestly you'd be better off getting a macbook than a mac mini. The new model costs a $1000 and has laughable specs even by mac standards.

This build would be $550 for the hardware and $150 for the chassis (carbon fiber layered on steel (or other metal with better heat properties)). This render is 8.25 x 6.95 x 3.04 in. The power supply is external but small (laptop charger). This was designed with a NVIDIA 9600 gt. I could use MXM and a riser to decrease thickness and make it the same height as the mac mini but that's not the point. There's still room to spare, but I'd rather not get into MXM's unless I decide to go with this build. Right now a linux laptop cloud gaming from my own gaming rig seems cooler. Furthermore I could mount a quad core with a 5670, but I used an i3 530, 2 gb ddr3 1333, and a 250 gb 7200 rpm hdd with a slot loading drive to keep power consumption down.

Let me know what you think. Right now my latest fascination is too put Linux on an eSATA flash drive and boot games from it using WINE or Cedega. That and rebuilding a chassis for my Pioneer HDJ-1000's.

Just a quick correction that the Mac mini is not $1000. The $1000 gets you a small workgroup server with dual hard drives and a full version of Snow Leopard Server. The standard mini did go up in price to $700, which I feel is too much. I still want a low end model at $500. I'll be keeping my current mini, thanks. 

Is your SFF build a definite go? You'll have to start a new thread detailing the project. It will be fun to follow. Or if you're in one of the case mod forums, send us a link. 

Quote:

I think the Xbox and PS3 shouldn't be trying to go for motion capture like Nintendo. I believe that even though the gaming industry is booming that gaming is dying. I consider myself among the last few true PC gamers. I still play DOS games from time to time and lot of modern games (last decade to today), but COD6 is bad and BFBC2 has nothing on BF2142. Yes I own both, own most games on the market actually. Some on multiple platforms.

Quote:

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #255 of 431
I'm replying to a few people, so I'm just going to bold within quotes.

Quote:

This is true and untrue.  They had better colour management, BUT that was only because most people didn't know how to change the standard Windows colour management.  People do buy Macs for OSX, and I'd think a Hackintosh can fill that role.

It just works, but, my current gaming machine does too, and it was cheaper.  (Technically, it's a $2500 XPS.  But, if you were to buy the tech today, it would run about $75 for the mobo/processor, $50 for the GPU, and $50 for the RAM.  Everything else was scraps.  It runs a P4D, GT 220, and 1GB of RAM.)

I would love something like the Mac Mini, but again the Apple premium comes into play.  I've built several micro-ATX PCs/nettops for people, and they run about $220 before harddrives, and fit a very similar size category.

I personally do my browsing, email, and music on my netbook, which I paid very little for, much less than the $700 Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7H3L457H0P3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Give me some money, imo.  >_>

That's some expensive hardware.  Personally, I'd go with an Atom or C2D, and 1GB ram for a 'nettop'.  Plus, going with a 9600 GT is terrible, unless you already have the card.  A low profile GT 220 would be WAY better, and cheaper.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53898&vpn=H55N-USB3%20%26%20Core%20i3%20530&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals

Check that out if you insist on the i3.  Just remember, if you're only doing music/browsing/email, you don't need much.  It has HDMI-out level graphics onboard, and an SPDIF output.

Meh.  I worked with that for a while, but it's mostly a diagnostic thing.  It's neat that you do it, I just wouldn't for a permanent thing.  Flash drives wear down faster than SSD drives, and I'd imagine that kind of OS interaction and write/read/rewrite would take a major toll on the drive quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back