Why buy a Macbook?
Jun 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #16 of 431
TBH I have no idea how everyone keeps on breaking laptops...my OLD Thinkpad X30 has lasted me for a long time...getting dropped and banged up. Not once has it refused to boot up or break down. XP is still more reliable than Vista or 7 IMO.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 431
sorry off topic but .......^^^ your avatar rocks ...  
smile.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 431
Quote:
Why? Because I previously owned a PowerBook G4 for 3 years. I totally fell in love with the machine and not to mention Mac OS X. So when time to buy a new machine the choice was easy -> MacBook (Pro).

The logical choice.  =P

Quote:
-excellent customer service. 
-the body is a feature you SHOULD take into account, as its build quality is far superior to other laptops and it will hold up much better than others. 
- obviously OSX

I always hear 'Excellent Customer Service', but I want stories to back that up.  For example, after the 2010 Macbook Pros were released, there was a kernel panic problem with switching graphics cards live.  Apple knew about it, but no Apple Store/phone technician was told about it.  Thousands of MBPs were returned for no reason, only a flaw in the Apple programming.

Second negative story I have is about my sisters Macbook.  It was a 2007 Macbook, and almost exactly a year after she got it, it started having massive problems.  The permissions bug hit her TWICE, the SuperDrive failed, and stopped reading DVDs, and the HDD went.  It would've cost her $500+ to fix everything.  Instead, I ordered an external DVD burner, and HDD online for $150, and had them fix it from there.  The price was much lower.  They did nothing to compete with online pricing, and helped VERY little to fix the machine.

Quote:
I went through 3 laptops in 3 years, from different makers. The constant breaking down of the laptops after 6 months was getting to be a big hassle for me. Before going to med school, i decided i needed a laptop that would not break down on me at anytime and wouldnt need that much maintenance. Bought a MBP in sept and have not looked back.

What are you doing to those laptops? o.O  I keep laptops for 2-4 years, not 6 months at a time.  I just sold a perfect condition laptop that I used for one year. and I actually have a 7 year old laptop lying around here somewhere that STILL WORKS.  (Used to be a mobile text edittor, until I got my netbook.)

Maybe it's not the laptop, maybe it's you?

Quote:
cyberspyder said:

TBH I have no idea how everyone keeps on breaking laptops...my OLD Thinkpad X30 has lasted me for a long time...getting dropped and banged up. Not once has it refused to boot up or break down. XP is still more reliable than Vista or 7 IMO.

This.  Also, Win7 is the new king.  XP was way better than Vista, but Win7 rocks.

Quote:
wmf said:

sorry off topic but .......^^^ your avatar rocks ...  
smile.gif

Mustache Cactuar!

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 431
Eventually, I'll switch over to the Mac side as well because it is currently the thinnest 'regular' laptop on the market that packs like a thin book (crucial). But, like my G5 purchase, I'll be buying it used because I'm asian and therefore, very cheap. I refuse to pay full list price on anything.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #20 of 431
Quote:
Eventually, I'll switch over to the Mac side as well because it is currently the thinnest 'regular' laptop on the market that packs like a thin book (crucial). But, like my G5 purchase, I'll be buying it used because I'm asian and therefore, very cheap. I refuse to pay full list price on anything.

Then why not get a refurb/used Dell Mini v10 and run Hackintosh?  (It's one of the only laptops that can run Hackintosh with ZERO modding)  It's also nearly as thin, and a little lighter than the MBP 13".

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #21 of 431
I have to admit that i was running multiple programs a lot on my first laptop for extended periods.  But my last two pc's just bogged down after 6 months. I was specially careful with my last pc so i didnt run it haggard. I was able to get all three fixed after they had their initial problems. I got rid of the first two while the third is still with me with a battery problem. Havent had the time to get it fixed.I worked with both xp and vista (have only tried 7 on other laptops). I worked with xp and downgraded from vista. I think 7 is now better than xp and vista and is worth it if you have to get a pc. But i like what os X has done for me so far and havnt had any problems.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 431
Quote:
I have to admit that i was running multiple programs a lot on my first laptop for extended periods.

Uhhh... So?  I use my netbook to remote serve a movie, listen to music, browse, chat on MSN, and usually a little flash game, without getting bogged down at all.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 431
That's the only thing i could see that i did that made it kaput. i never dropped it or banged it. Unless i inadvertently did something, i cant explain it

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #25 of 431

Quote:
...  I need top performance for 3D design, ...  

Then you need to not have a laptop? You especially don't need to have crippled 3d performance in the form of laptop video cards and power sensitive processors. You need a proper video card to handle on screen polygons/nurbs/subs/parasolids/whatever-it-is-you-do, and you probably need a bank of processors to back it up when you go rendering/simulating things.

If you're tied to being laptop crippled in your work for some reason, then apple makes acceptable hardware. So does everyone else, but everyone else tends to have tiered pricing/quality levels, so you have to do some research to get the right thing. If you don't go apple you will save some money and have a lot more choice on 3d software (whether you're doing cinematics or engineering or probably whatever it is you do).

I prefer linux, but I'm tied to windows for choices and compatibility. I managed an all mac computer lab at a college for a couple years (until it became a split lab). I don't really have anything against any of them, except that I prefer the modularity of linux software (it's just a better idea, but it's something that can only happen in open source). I work in a variety of 3d creation tools, switching depending on for engineering or pure visuals.

As for longevity of hardware, I never understood the apple=lasting thing. I have a mid 90's toshiba portege (486) that still runs like a champ on the rare occasion that I find a use for it, and likewise have a roommate who refuses to believe that the wifi card in his MBP is dying. Spot check: There are probably a dozen vendor's hardware inside a mac, and they make the same stuff for asus, hp, lenovo, etc. Just pick one that isn't a total budget workover and you'll be fine.

I do some video editing, and windows is fine for this. Nothing really dramatic between the two as far as I can tell, but macs do have an edge depending on your preferred software. If I were doing audio editing I think I'd record with a dedicated linux machine, and once in digital edit/mix in windows.

Why do so many of certain fields use apple products? I suspect it's because it's what they used in college. Apple was very successful at marketing their products to graphic design schools, art schools, and film schools. I know in my own school's graphic design lab, it seemed a surprise to many students to discover that our labs had both windows boxes and macs in them, and that everyone could do the same work, in the same software, in the same time on either machine. These days the type of work usually doesn't dictate the OS, with a couple of exceptions (engineering for one; solidworks, pro-e, etc are not osx friendly).

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #27 of 431

Quote:

I'm still curious to this, because everyone in Sound Design/Engineering seems to use one, and that's my path. 

[size=12pt]Bottom line is, if all of your peers are on a Mac and you are not, you will be at a disadvantage.
File sharing, working on your co-workers files, etc.
You should be using what everyone in your profession is using.
[/size]

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 431
Just to address some of the Customer Service comments:

I've seen a number of surveys that poll people for how companies fair with their tech support, and Apple is almost always at the top. I have no idea how that's true.

My family [minus myself] is obsessed with Apple laptops, and we've had a relentless stream of problems: broken hinges, $800 repairs to an initially $1200 computer (WITH AppleCare), broken power cables x3 (pre-MagSafe), extremely grumpy tech people, long waits over the phone, circular advice through phone support (usually doesn't help either), all sorts of issues after getting back a "repaired" laptop, slow down over time... urg. I've had to do 24/7 tech support around my house for a while.

A lot of those problems are offset by when Apple acknowledged that their attempts to repair a Macbook that crashed during my brother's finals week were futile, and they just gave him a new one for free. That was definitely a redeeming moment for them in my eyes. My fam has probably been particularly unlucky, but in my experience I can't call any Apple laptop we've owned as reliable, and their service [until the replacement] was atrocious. Needless to say, I'm skeptical of any claim of quality Customer Service given my first-hand experience.

As for the prevalence of Apple computers everywhere: I think the popularity of Apple products in media is, as DrSpiv mentioned, just a matter of comfort. College campuses, and especially liberal arts / media bent schools are completely covered in Apple laptops, and if you're acclimated to the OS and design, why change later? A lot of people get sick of the crappy $500 15" laptops they buy, spend 3x more on a MB/MBP and realize that a lot of their problems went away (even if those problems would have gone away with an equivalent PC). Not necessarily the superior product, but it gets work done, and for many people, gets work done in an elegant, easy manner.

Hope I didn't ramble too much

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #29 of 431
I'm on my second Mac and I can give you 3 reasons:

1) Build quality. It's a lot of things that are more than cosmetic, from the case to the screen to the way the hard drive locks the second the computer detects motion to....it's lots of things. A Windows laptop of comparable hardware quality will cost nearly as much. Apple's reputation for being expensive isn't based on over-charging for what they sell it is because they don't sell anything cheap.

2) The operating system. OSX is always a generation or two ahead of Windows, and when a new release comes out it always works and is usually faster, more powerful and more compact. Windows? It seems like only every other major release if fully functional and they always eat more hard drive. Besides, I just like it better. It is much more intuitive, much easier to use, particularly on complex functions.

3) It is a closed system. Yep. The biggest complaint is Apple's greatest strength. They don't let every Tom, Dick and Harry who thinks he can write code run stuff on the OS, and the result is that everything just seems to work together seamlessly. Maybe Windows has gotten better, but a couple of laptops ago, it was pretty bad. Seems like every hardware add-on required phone calls and downloads, and every piece of software worked completely differently, and didn't always play well with others. You simply don't have to deal with any of this on a Mac. Hate the closed system if you must, but it works. It doesn't feel closed. It feels empowered.

With all of that said, I'm not married to them. If Google or Microsoft came up with a system that worked as well, I'd give it a shot.

p

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #30 of 431
Quote:
[size=12pt]Bottom line is, if all of your peers are on a Mac and you are not, you will be at a disadvantage.
File sharing, working on your co-workers files, etc.
You should be using what everyone in your profession is using.[/size]

This isn't true at all.  All formats have Windows equivs/converters.  Especially for the eventual goal of sound design.

It should also be noted to the post I didn't quote, I'm not doing anything too heavy.  Just stage/light simulations, nothing dynamic at all.  I don't need a powerhouse, or I'd get a desktop and be done with it.  I need a mobile workstation.

Quote:
Just to address some of the Customer Service comments:

I've seen a number of surveys that poll people for how companies fair with their tech support, and Apple is almost always at the top. I have no idea how that's true.

My family [minus myself] is obsessed with Apple laptops, and we've had a relentless stream of problems: broken hinges, $800 repairs to an initially $1200 computer (WITH AppleCare), broken power cables x3 (pre-MagSafe), extremely grumpy tech people, long waits over the phone, circular advice through phone support (usually doesn't help either), all sorts of issues after getting back a "repaired" laptop, slow down over time... urg. I've had to do 24/7 tech support around my house for a while.

A lot of those problems are offset by when Apple acknowledged that their attempts to repair a Macbook that crashed during my brother's finals week were futile, and they just gave him a new one for free. That was definitely a redeeming moment for them in my eyes. My fam has probably been particularly unlucky, but in my experience I can't call any Apple laptop we've owned as reliable, and their service [until the replacement] was atrocious. Needless to say, I'm skeptical of any claim of quality Customer Service given my first-hand experience.

As for the prevalence of Apple computers everywhere: I think the popularity of Apple products in media is, as DrSpiv mentioned, just a matter of comfort. College campuses, and especially liberal arts / media bent schools are completely covered in Apple laptops, and if you're acclimated to the OS and design, why change later? A lot of people get sick of the crappy $500 15" laptops they buy, spend 3x more on a MB/MBP and realize that a lot of their problems went away (even if those problems would have gone away with an equivalent PC). Not necessarily the superior product, but it gets work done, and for many people, gets work done in an elegant, easy manner.

Hope I didn't ramble too much

That's good that they corrected the error.  Mind you, that was pretty much after you paid them nearly enough for a new one in support.  (AppleCare ($300) + repairs ($800) + chargers/parts ($100-300))

I really do think this is the problem.  People see the lowest end laptop, and compare it to the lowest end Mac.  Hugely different prices, but still 'lowest end'.

Also, colleges/schools using Macs exclusively (like mine) really makes me mad.  Windows/Linux have a lot to offer, and they lock everyone into that one system.

Quote:
I'm on my second Mac and I can give you 3 reasons:

1) Build quality. It's a lot of things that are more than cosmetic, from the case to the screen to the way the hard drive locks the second the computer detects motion to....it's lots of things. A Windows laptop of comparable hardware quality will cost nearly as much. Apple's reputation for being expensive isn't based on over-charging for what they sell it is because they don't sell anything cheap.

2) The operating system. OSX is always a generation or two ahead of Windows, and when a new release comes out it always works and is usually faster, more powerful and more compact. Windows? It seems like only every other major release if fully functional and they always eat more hard drive. Besides, I just like it better. It is much more intuitive, much easier to use, particularly on complex functions.

3) It is a closed system. Yep. The biggest complaint is Apple's greatest strength. They don't let every Tom, Dick and Harry who thinks he can write code run stuff on the OS, and the result is that everything just seems to work together seamlessly. Maybe Windows has gotten better, but a couple of laptops ago, it was pretty bad. Seems like every hardware add-on required phone calls and downloads, and every piece of software worked completely differently, and didn't always play well with others. You simply don't have to deal with any of this on a Mac. Hate the closed system if you must, but it works. It doesn't feel closed. It feels empowered.

With all of that said, I'm not married to them. If Google or Microsoft came up with a system that worked as well, I'd give it a shot.

p

1) Actually, the ASUS I linked much earlier was of superior quality in hardware.  Quad core over dual core, 2 HDD bays vs one, overclocking abilities/CMOS access, nicer keyboard, better ventilation...  I could go on.  The hardware in the ASUS is equal to or superior than the hardware in the Mac.  This includes mobo (of which they use a similar one), chip quality (top bin i7s, similar clocking ratio, same wattage), video card (both use reference-line boards/chips from their own supporting companies), and most low-level technology (the only one I can't think of a Windows machine having is the switching video card.  Which means very little to me.)  Go look up a teardown of the 2010 MBP if you don't believe me.  You'll see some pretty common names.

2) They're actually fairly similar.  OSX takes up about 5gbs, and my Win7 Ult 32bit takes up 6.2gbs.  Honestly, though.  In this day and age we have the space.  We aren't going to miss an extra 1.2gbs.  Infact, you can get a 2gb harddrive for pennies.  Also, I HATE that OSX dumbs down the interface.  My Windows install is super easy to use and work on, so I really don't know what else you tell you on that.

3) The closed system is a negative for so many reasons.  One, anyone can develop on OSX, that's a false fact.  There is no approval process or anything like that for OSX.  Hardware not being universally supported is negative because it demotes competition.  They create a monopoly on their own products, and maximize profits doing so.  Infact, they had a chance to make OSX work on any machine with the IA32-64 OS update.  But they didn't, because they enjoy their legal monopoly on their systems.

Competition should be something promoted, not punished.  It makes better products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back