Why buy a Macbook?
Jun 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #421 of 431

Quote:
A drive image would (debatably) be effective after a clean install and getting a few applications you want setup

However, applications can get outdated too so without updating the image the things also found within the image can become obsolete.

That's why regular maintenance + imaging for backups makes the most sense to me.

Yes, that is what I meant.

I guess if you really want to be technical and have the absolute latest/updated applications running. Updating a few apps don't take that much time. Unless all of the apps you happen to use update frequently.

I somewhat agree. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #422 of 431
What I would do is, each time you install the image, update it, and overwrite that save image AFTER the updates.  Then you have the 'latest' gen each time.  Also helpful to replace other programs as you see fit.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #423 of 431
Quote:
What I would do is, each time you install the image, update it, and overwrite that save image AFTER the updates.  Then you have the 'latest' gen each time.  Also helpful to replace other programs as you see fit.

Yes, but then the question is whether the image was worthwhile in the first place if all you're going to do is install updates on top of the original apps anyway when you could have just installed the latest updated apps.

This is why I just do regular maintenance 
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #424 of 431
Quote:
Yes, but then the question is whether the image was worthwhile in the first place if all you're going to do is install updates on top of the original apps anyway when you could have just installed the latest updated apps.

This is why I just do regular maintenance 
tongue.gif

Isn't there an application to update all of your others?  Theoretically, you could have that on the original image, install all the updates with it, then uninstall it.

Also, redoing the image still has its benefits, via Windows Updates.  Those come one at a time, unless there's a very recent Service Pack.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #425 of 431
I usually keep a base copy of the image that would be a clean install with all drivers. Then I'd append that image with several updated installments along the way (say after I have all my applications, updates,  and AV installed). On the base copy, I'd usually install applications manually since I don't use that much anyway and that would ensure I get the latest running, then install windows updates. A base image is usually under 4GB while the image updates average about 1.5GB. And only takes about 12 mins to load. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #426 of 431
and your argument would be valid if apple made the most reliable computers, which they don't as asus, sony and toshiba consistently place above them in reliability statistics.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #427 of 431
Quote:
and your argument would be valid if apple made the most reliable computers, which they don't as asus, sony and toshiba consistently place above them in reliability statistics.

Source for those interested:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

It's a three year failure rate, which could include hard-drive failures (which are mostly manufacturer independent.)  It does not, however, include accidental failures.  Which is good.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #428 of 431
Jul 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #429 of 431
Quote:
The SquareTrade (who sell extended warranties!) survey has been shown to be grossly distorted.

Good link.  I didn't have an issue with the 3yr projection, as I simply ignored it, and just looked at the 2yr, but it's still a sketchy chart.

As far as Macs go, most techie people are aware of the area they are in.  Companies are least reliable when they are very small, or very big.  Apple is selling just enough computers right now to maintain that QA/Quality Control that is as close to optimal as is realistic (although the graphics switching problem is laughable)  I would expect a Mac laptop to be more DURABLE, and that lending itself to reliability, plus their size as a company lending to better tested units, but I wouldn't put the entirety of my faith in it being great or being terrible.  With care, any laptop would probably be just as reliable.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #430 of 431
the graphics switching problem is easily fixed with:

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

if you want longer battery life just force it to the intel card

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #431 of 431
Quote:
the graphics switching problem is easily fixed with:

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

if you want longer battery life just force it to the intel card

It still should've worked out of the box.  The fact that no Apple staff caught the freezing issue before they went out is huge, seeing as it was a highlighted feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back