Why buy a CD player?
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 86
I like pulling out a cd and putting in on, the same like I do with records.

Plus my Sony CDP-203 was $25,it sounds amazing, and my gaming PC is all the way across my apt.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 86
Let me think, 20 euros for an old top of the line CD-player which justifies having an AKG K240 DF because it powers headphones from 8 to 1000 ohms. Oh yes, the laptop doesn't sound as good. My Philips CD690 is simply awesome.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have honestly kind of wondered the same thing. I will say that there is definitely one down side to the computer method though; noise. My computer is a gaming inspired rig so its fans are full bore (even though I have it fully water cooled). I am hoping to, down the road, get a nettop computer and just use a large external for everything but gaming.

I'm just so fidgety when it comes to my music that I would go nuts having to change CDs all the time, then having to put the CD away properly and all that.

For those claiming noise, and other downsides of having a PC in there listening area you really should take the time to check out devices like the Squeezebox. The PC becomes just a server and you can put your transport(squeezebox) anywhere within either Wifi or ethernet range.

I personally use a Squeezebox and love it, much better the messing with CDs. Other neat feature is you can sync multiple squeezeboxes for whole house audio!

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 86
My CD player too has a built in D/AC and it sounds way better than the .flac files that I ripped and encoded from Exact Audio Copy playing through Foobar2000 with ASIO4ALL.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa!! We have the same players!! Wait 'til you hook up a DAC with the Pioneer 414.

I am planning to get a new CD player and maybe an additional/new amp. Do I really need a DAC (other than that built into the CD), or will a quality CD player do as well with RCA cables into a good headphone amp?
Thanks

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I really need a DAC (other than that built into the CD), or will a quality CD player do as well with RCA cables into a good headphone amp?

You don't really need an external DAC if the CD player, by itself, sounds good to you. An external DAC has the potential to improve the sound quality, but that's not always a guarantee.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 86
Currently I am using my NAD T585 which does sound better than using my laptops cd drive and my silverstone DAC. I might be a generational thing with younger people moving towards a computer based system. I have seen several high-end CD players for sale on Audiogon because the owner was moving to a music server. Personally I enjoy the ritual that comes with physical media, a record player being my favorite to use.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 15, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just wondering why someone would choose buying a CD player rather than buying a good DAC and using their computer as a transport. It seems cheaper than buying a dedicated audio disc player.

Cause computers are for surfing the web, not to become a dedicated music player.. That's how I view it.. I don't like listening to songs on my PC.. Call me old fashioned.. I don't want my computer to become a multi media center. I like CD players..

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #25 of 86
I just cracked open my brand new stax 404 LE & SRM 600 limited amp and connected it to my resolution audio opus 21...... Fogedaboutit wicked.
smily_headphones1.gif
now I have to find a dac this good for my mackbook

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #26 of 86
Computers waste power and create noise (could be minimized, but can be a mess to do). There should be more devices like my iriver H120, hard drive based transports with minimal power usage but unlike H120, use high quality parts like in expensive cd transports.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #27 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computers waste power and create noise (could be minimized, but can be a mess to do). There should be more devices like my iriver H120, hard drive based transports with minimal power usage but unlike H120, use high quality parts like in expensive cd transports.

iPod with ND-S1 comes close. Not really transportable, but should be low power.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #28 of 86
DAC and computer servers are the best thing since hot bread. IMHO.
It has taken me months to rip all my cd's but it is worth it.
I would use a CD player only to rip music into my computer.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 86
Through my amplifier the laptop sounds much better, I still prefer my CD-player by a large margin. The whole act of choosing the CD(s), holding it in your hand etcetera does add to it somehow.

I like that. You can even read the linear notes if you are interested. I prefer that to software.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like that. You can even read the linear notes if you are interested. I prefer that to software.

I can read the Bio and Album Review and find other interesting tidbits on the Artist all from the remote to my Squeezebox
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back