Why buy a CD player?
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 86
It depends where you get the cd player.

I got a great sacd player (Sony dvp-ns500v) from a friend for $60, and found a very decent Pioneer player (dv-414) for $40. Both sound fantastic. You'd have to spend many times that for pc hardware/dac.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 86
Sunk cost....
I don't even know when can I finish ripping & scanning of my couple thousands CD collection...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just wondering why someone would choose buying a CD player rather than buying a good DAC and using their computer as a transport. It seems cheaper than buying a dedicated audio disc player.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends where you get the cd player.

I got a great sacd player (Sony dvp-ns500v) from a friend for $60, and found a very decent Pioneer player (dv-414) for $40. Both sound fantastic. You'd have to spend many times that for pc hardware/dac.

I agree. There's tons of deals out there. I got my Marantz CD63MKII for 30 bucks online and it sounds way better listening to music compared to my old PC/DAC setup.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 86
Not everyone use computer as their source (or at least their primary source).

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

some audiophiles don't even know how to use computer.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 86
I have honestly kind of wondered the same thing. I will say that there is definitely one down side to the computer method though; noise. My computer is a gaming inspired rig so its fans are full bore (even though I have it fully water cooled). I am hoping to, down the road, get a nettop computer and just use a large external for everything but gaming.

I'm just so fidgety when it comes to my music that I would go nuts having to change CDs all the time, then having to put the CD away properly and all that.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 86
Because my CD player can also act as a DAC and it's better than all the DACs that I've previously used.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa!! We have the same players!! Wait 'til you hook up a DAC with the Pioneer 414.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just CDs here....no downloads.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 86
Once I went over to the squeezebox +DAC I realised how great it is to listen by playlist, artist or genre rather then by (CD)album, and since then I haven't touched (except for ripping) nor missed CDs and I'll never go back.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 86
Noise and convenience are my reasons. My PC is quite loud. It's easier to put the CD in the player and press play than it is to put the CD in the PC, wait for it to load, open it in foobar and then pressing play.

Besides when listening music on the computer I usually end up doing something else at the same time and not listening properly. With computer closed and the CD in the CD player there are no distractions.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 86
Lifestyle. Yes, there are audiophiles who don't want to mess up kernel streaming and finding the best USB inputs... But in the grey area, if you do most of your listening in the den or living room, maybe with speakers, and you already have a CD collection you're used to, then I suppose you might go with CD's rather than Squeezeboxes, iPod transports or HTPC's. I suppose that's the market for all those music servers as well.

That's my guess, I suppose.

I also fell in love with CD players / transports showing the disk - Aura Neo, Beosound 9000. Such tasteful furniture - beautiful and expressive of your love of music.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 86
I perfere CDs to computer input. I enjoy the physical aspects of CDs, art work, liner notes and just being able to "see" my music collection. I have a Pacific Valve CDM-12 transport that is optically connected to a Cambridge DacMagic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back