Why aren't there any 60mm drivers?
Jan 5, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #31 of 38
Did you miss out on the new planar magnetic / orthodynamic headphone series by the very small companies Hifiman and Audeze? The technology was around in the 70s, but it's been gone long enough to feel new....

Quote:
Actually, it seems to me that only Sony and Sennheiser is putting in the effort to develop new technologies, probably coz they're much larger companies than the others and actually have the resource to do so?

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Well, if Wikipedia is to be trusted:

Beyerdynamic:  300 employees
Sennheiser:  2,100 employees
Sony:  167,900 employees

Now, if we wanted to be all apples-to-apples about it, we'd have to compare the headphone divisions exclusively. 
That said, Sennheiser and Sony are not remotely in the same league of "large."
Which also explains how Sony can create high quality headphones,
but only charge $80 due to huge economies of scale.

Of course, the irony is that Sony has shut down its Qualia division while Sennheiser seems to put out new product in a timely manner. 
Though, I suspect that has more to do with the strong Yen, deflation and Japan's aging population than mere technical capability.

Ain't that always the way? This same thing happened back in the late 70s/early 80s, which led to the infamous black plastic crap (BPC) era of consumer electronics from Japan.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #33 of 38
Actually I think Sony as a larger company needs a larger profit margin as well. Qualia was just not bringing them enough profits as the cheaper but still quite high end models

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #35 of 38
I'm sure the'll find a way to do it on a commercial level sometime but there are very high quality headphones with massive drivers for studio use. It mostly has to do with the power it takes to move drivers that big and the quality of the engineering involved. If you have large drivers and no way to move them, the bass will be muffled. Just the same as if you have 40mm drivers together with the power to engineered quality, the'll deliver great quality bass. It's mostly summed up to the quality of the engineering, design and manufaturing. Larger drivers don't always add up to a better sound.  M.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #37 of 38
Hello, I was just looking around for anything on 60mm headset drivers when I found this, and I did find a headset that has those. The Turtle Beach Z60 Gaming Headset (click to go to turtle beach website for this headset) does come with 60mm speakers, i have not found anything larger yet, just these. If you are looking for high-end headphones designed for professionals or audiophiles, i cant help, but for gaming, these are your answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back