Why are your complaints on the SE535 memory wire?
May 2, 2011 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
For the few people that know, i am having a cable maker (maybe with Jude's approval) make a custom SE535 cable for a group buy. I just got my pair of SE535, and i dont understand what your guys fuss is on the memory wire. Coming from a pair of customs, my Vienna cable had a pre-shaped form that was made to put around the ear. The memory wire is the same idea, just a bit more of a personal form. With the custom SE535 cable, i would like to know why you guys dont like the memory wire, and any idea's you may have for it.

May 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 9
I think the biggest problem is the size (length) of the cable terminations at the IEM end.  If they weren't detachable and just had strain relief I don't think there would be as many complaints. The combination of the length of the terminations plus the unwieldiness of the cable makes for a difficult fit, especially for people with smaller ears.

May 2, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 9
I like the memory wire the way it is but I'd like to have a shorter cable. When I'm at the gym I use my Shures with an A2DP bluetooth adapter clipped to my collar and the standard cable is way too long for that purpose.

May 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 9
The memory wire on the SE535 for me was really a joke.

Main problem making them uncomfortable is the thickness and diameter.
The factory cable material is already thick enough and the memory wire + cover adds even more thickness.
I'd say the memory wire is too stiff too.  Connectors are loose so the cable spins too freely.

The total thickness of the cable + memory wire + cover makes them annoying for a start, and the total size is too much compared to the size of the SE535 housing and weight.  This and the stiff memory wire causes unnecessary stress in your ears (and to the MMCX connector too) when you just wind it around your ears.  Also depending on your inner ear shape, if the SE535 housing relaxes rather deep, the thick cable may cause fitting issues too (it did in my case, pain on the ear entrance).

Over time, the thick cable + memory wire + cover + free spinning cable can cause bad connection on the MMCX connector too.  I also noticed bad connection on the end of the memory wire (opposite end from the connector) for a sec hand cable, probably caused by the stiffness.

It's a really good IEM if Shure didn't go too far with making the cable chunky and war-ready.
Removable is good but I didn't mind a thin cable and strain relief too.
I'm happy with the Pearl V2 cable on ebay.  It's so stress free in every aspect.

May 3, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:

The factory cable material is already thick enough and the memory wire + cover adds even more thickness.
I'd say the memory wire is too stiff too.  Connectors are loose so the cable spins too freely.

The total thickness of the cable + memory wire + cover makes them annoying for a start, and the total size is too much compared to the size of the SE535 housing and weight.  This and the stiff memory wire causes unnecessary stress in your ears (and to the MMCX connector too) when you just wind it around your ears.  Also depending on your inner ear shape, if the SE535 housing relaxes rather deep, the thick cable may cause fitting issues too (it did in my case, pain on the ear entrance).

Over time, the thick cable + memory wire + cover + free spinning cable can cause bad connection on the MMCX connector too.  I also noticed bad connection on the end of the memory wire (opposite end from the connector) for a sec hand cable, probably caused by the stiffness.

It's a really good IEM if Shure didn't go too far with making the cable chunky and war-ready.
Removable is good but I didn't mind a thin cable and strain relief too.
I'm happy with the Pearl V2 cable on ebay.  It's so stress free in every aspect.

For a custom cable, that i may offer in a group buy (with Jude's approval), what is different on the Pearl that i can suggest on the custom cable?

May 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
For a custom cable, that i may offer in a group buy (with Jude's approval), what is different on the Pearl that i can suggest on the custom cable?

Other good points from the Pearl will be the MMCX connector, it fits quite tightly at first.  This stops the cable to spin too easily and makes it easier to wind around your ears.

Other than that, just using OFC cables in decent quality should be fine.  Or maybe just start off with a good 4-core cable and lead 2 cables to each MMCX connector.

1.6m on the factory SE535 cable is rather too long it seems for many users, how about making the custom cable around 1.2m to 1.35m default, or give a choice to the people who order?  Also maybe give choice for a straight plug or right angle Neutrik plug, like the Pearl and Punk on ebay offers.

Good luck with the group buy..

May 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 9

Good Words! I agree.

Quote:

The total thickness of the cable + memory wire + cover makes them annoying for a start, and the total size is too much compared to the size of the SE535 housing and weight.  This and the stiff memory wire causes unnecessary stress in your ears (and to the MMCX connector too) when you just wind it around your ears. 

May 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 9
If I remove the cables, I can insert the ear pieces with medium-sized olive foamies with no problem and feel that I have a great seal.  Once I reattach the cables and try to reinsert the ear pieces...no dice.  I simply cannot get a seal.  Those blasted cables are keeping me from properly inserting the ear pieces because the cabling is blocking them from being inserted properly.  With the white flanges, I can get them in, but damnit are they painful. Apparently, I have small ear canals.  Hence my thread about getting custom molds done to get around this issue based on what others have said about custom molds fitting in perfectly.

Would I be down for a group buy on thinner cables that may resolve this issue?  It they work, hell yeah.

May 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
If I remove the cables, I can insert the ear pieces with medium-sized olive foamies with no problem and feel that I have a great seal.  Once I reattach the cables and try to reinsert the ear pieces...no dice.  I simply cannot get a seal.  Those blasted cables are keeping me from properly inserting the ear pieces because the cabling is blocking them from being inserted properly.  With the white flanges, I can get them in, but damnit are they painful. Apparently, I have small ear canals.  Hence my thread about getting custom molds done to get around this issue based on what others have said about custom molds fitting in perfectly.

Would I be down for a group buy on thinner cables that may resolve this issue?  It they work, hell yeah.

fwiw I have the same problem with the se215 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back