Why are the cheapest and most expencive headphones low impendence?
Nov 21, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 22
Studio cans are typically high-impedance (600 Ohm). This is because they are often run in parallel. 8 pairs of 600-ohm headphones in parallel present a load of 75 ohm (if I remember correctly Physics 101). Now, if you were to put 8 pairs of 32-ohm headphones in parallel, the load becomes 4 ohms! Imagine a headphone amplifier trying to drive a tough pair of speakers...

Now, that still doesn't explain why headphones targeted for home consumers are using 300 ohm. Maybe a speaker builder could enlighten us.

Nov 21, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Stax SR-007, $4030 and 170,000 Ohms!

$4030? hmm.... You can buy them for $2999 with the SRS-717t or solid-state amp at audiocubes
confused.gif

Quote:

Is it just me? Yes

Yes, its you
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 22
DesBen, and others,

do a search for impedance. there are a LOT of really good threads on the subject. (yes, even in the amp section).

another search critereia might even be synergy.

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 22
I was simply stating the MSRP (that I found on Stereophile's site)... I know the actual retail is much lower, but then, it doesn't look as impressive.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mindless
$4030? hmm.... You can buy them for $2999 with the SRS-717t or solid-state amp at audiocubes
confused.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Mindless
confused.gif

Many products are sold at different prices in different countries. Generally, the lowest price is in the country of origin. The Omega II is built in Japan, so it is priced lower there. Simply fewer people to pay between the factory and the dealer. In the US, there's an additional layer of costs, including customs fees, and the US distributor. So list price in the US is higher to cover those costs. Audiocubes ships directly from Japan, and can offer a lower price. However, you are going to be responsible if customs tags it with fees coming into the US. You're also going to be responsible for repair costs, with no US warranty in effect.

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Generally, the lowest price is in the country of origin.

But also often false. For example CDs made in Europe are much cheaper in the US (where CDs are far cheaper than in Europe.) And it is only recently that Japanese mass electronics equipment was cheaper in Japan -- until about 3 or 4 years ago, it was sometimes cheaper in the US for some mass-distributred products (high end Japanese products often have only infrequent distribution in the US, and thus fall into the insane world of high end pricing, where logic seems to fall out the window.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back