Why are the cheapest and most expencive headphones low impendence?
Nov 20, 2003 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

master83

Head-Fier
Is it just me? I have a feeling that all the cheap headsets and headphones and the expencive ones have a low impendence.. is this true? thinking of CD-3000 and RS-1 in the expencive part.

Nov 20, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by master83
Is it just me? I have a feeling that all the cheap headsets and headphones and the expencive ones have a low impendence.. is this true? thinking of CD-3000 and RS-1 in the expencive part.

It's Expensive...

Nov 20, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 22
Beyer dt 880/ 250 ohm. The impedence of a headphone is no indication of quality or lack of quality. But a low impedence headphone can be easily driven allowing them to be used with low power portables etc.
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 22
I can't believe amazon is actually selling the Sony R10.

Anyone got a 10% off coupon lying around somewhere?
biggrin.gif

Wait a minute, is this supposed to be limited quantity? How did amazon pick this up?

Nov 21, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Isn't the Sony R10 a low impedance 'phone? At $3800 from Amazon, it could be a contender.

Yep, i tried them with my Sharp DR7 minidisc recorder...actually drove them pretty well.

Nov 21, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Beyer dt 880/ 250 ohm. The impedence of a headphone is no indication of quality or lack of quality. But a low impedence headphone can be easily driven allowing them to be used with low power portables etc.
wink.gif

if it has no affect on quality. then why dont all headphones have low impendence? i mean, wouldnt it be more convenient in essentially every way? i personally dont mind high or low impendence, but itd make it a lot easier if all headphones were easy to drive. heh.

Nov 21, 2003 at 9:36 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DsLFoolisH
if it has no affect on quality. then why dont all headphones have low impendence? i mean, wouldnt it be more convenient in essentially every way? i personally dont mind high or low impendence, but itd make it a lot easier if all headphones were easy to drive. heh.

'Easy to drive' is a very vague term. What does it mean? Are low impedance phones more efficient, i.e. can I get the same output with less power? No, impedance doesn't play a role. Losses within the amplifier will even be larger into lower impedance loads. Does the amp have 'more control' over the drivers? No, damping factor will go down into low impedances. Current demand? Is higher into a low impedance load. Lowering the impedance allows you to extort more power from an amplifier if you're limited by a low voltage, i.e. with portable devices. You get more maximum volume, and usually pay the price through higher distortion at the same volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back