Why are Pioneer headphones popular with DJ's ?
Jun 3, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have had the dj1's and the hd215
ths dj1's are awesome
the hd215 suck, pretty harsh sound

Thanks for telling me...i was gonna upgrade to HD215 from HD205.

Hmmmm now i am confused which Closed + Circumaural DJ headphones to buy.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd-25. it is quick so it picks things up pretty good. decent response throughout, can come in handy if you mixing is not limited to the beat.

They are Supra-aural again like my current HD205...want Circumaural.

Hd250 Linear??

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #19 of 25
I used to DJ some time ago... have Denon gear and used sony cans. As someone mentioned earlier, they need to be loud, with swivel cans so you can pick one of the phones up put it against your ear and hear the beat FAST. Sound quality does NOT matter for DJ headphones. They also need to be rugged... stuffed in cases, beat up all night, dropped, knocked on the floor...etc.

Many clubs get sponsored by various companies. Pioneer does in fact sponsor famous clubs. The most probable reason you see some of the famous DJs with Pioneer cans is in fact due to club sponsorship. Most of the top echelon clubs employ their DJ's full-time and supply them with cans.

Denon, Pioneer and Rane are the three current pro gear club type dj gear companies that you see being installed in new clubs today. Older clubs still have some technics gear installed (older house music clubs). Denon DJ cans the HP1000 and 700 are relatively new to the DJ scene... gaining in popularity, but not widely adopted yet. Some of the portable guys used Numark gear as well. Every piece of Numark gear I've ever owned has broke or failed.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #20 of 25
Lot of mixers out there are pioneer and they do a pretty huge range of the things.
My mate ha one and to be honest compared to the set up i had years ago it just seems like cheating.....i digress lol
Is it maybe a case of the 'phones matching the equipment??

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #21 of 25
I used to DJ...and they ARE the best for dj'ing. They will not bust...as in you can throw the HARDEST and heaviest and most un-unified bass at them and they'll just throw it back at you. They sound like crap for everything except for bass though.

You don't want to DJ with senns, akgs...etc because honestly the drivers aren't made to handle that type of abuse- when the subs kick up, so does the monitors. Overall, they serve their purpose, and only their purpose to me... and they're unequaled at what they do best.

As for the actual brand Pioneer...idk why, if you walk into a DJ shop you'll see Pioneer, Gemeni, Techniques, and Denon stuff from top to bottom, and Pioneer has always made the best (build-quality) as far as dj headphones, and as far as Denon, techniques, american audios etc... the over-all SQ is about the same, so I think that a lot of people either choose the Pioneers for either build-quality or popularity.

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #22 of 25
I tried the Sony, Technics, and Pioneer DJ headphones and each one of them collapsed or sprung apart after a short period of time. If the cable gave way, it was a nightmare getting a new one and then to fit it with no hassle.
Then I ran into the Denon D1000. Now THAT is what I call a DJ headphone. With its 3500mW and 55mm drivers I can hear it even in the loudest of dance hall, and bass surpasses that of any of the others I just mentioned. It is also still in one piece after more than a year of abuse, and the cable is easy to replace should it ever give way.
Now, if Pioneer and Technics could make a headphone as good and reliable as the Denon D1000 I would try those brands again. But at this moment in time the D1000 is the strongest of the lot and also the loudest.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Sony, Technics, and Pioneer DJ headphones and each one of them collapsed or sprung apart after a short period of time. If the cable gave way, it was a nightmare getting a new one and then to fit it with no hassle.
Then I ran into the Denon D1000. Now THAT is what I call a DJ headphone. With its 3500mW and 55mm drivers I can hear it even in the loudest of dance hall, and bass surpasses that of any of the others I just mentioned. It is also still in one piece after more than a year of abuse, and the cable is easy to replace should it ever give way.
Now, if Pioneer and Technics could make a headphone as good and reliable as the Denon D1000 I would try those brands again. But at this moment in time the D1000 is the strongest of the lot and also the loudest.

I second this...I have a pair of the Denon Dh1000's and those are a beast of a set of can's....The only thing I have to say is that they are super heavy...After about 3 - 4 hours of use I get a little bit of neck strain...but I'll deal with it for the superior bass response...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back