Why are Grados So Popular on Head Fi
May 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

likemusic

New Head-Fier
They are ancient headphones. Maybe try the new modern and 21st century companies? Denon, AT, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser, Shure. I mean, even the name "grado" sounds weird. Also, the two cans on a grado headphone look like buttercups. And it's just a little family company.

May 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 57
Sound quality > aesthetic. Nobody really gives a horse crap on how headphones look here on Head-Fi.

Plus, Grado have this "retro" look that only tickles some Head-Fier's pickles, just like how Stax and Jenklin Floats do.

I love the look of Grados, simple and elegant. Sennheisers are the ugliest headphone in my opinion.

May 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by likemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are ancient headphones. Maybe try the new modern 21st century companies? Denon, AT, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser, Shure. I mean, even the name "grado" sounds weird. Also, the two cans on a grado headphone look like buttercups. And it's just a little family company.

An epic troll post if I've ever seen one. Nothing but attention whore wannabe been there down that instigative crap and ban worthy IMO.

I love how ancient in bold italicized makes absolutely no sense, considering Grado has only been making headphones since the mid 90s.

May 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 57
he's got his five posts so he can bu a pair of 21st technology in the new HF2's!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An epic troll post if I've ever seen one. Nothing but attention whore wannabe been there down that instigative crap and ban worthy IMO.

I love how ancient in bold italicized makes absolutely no sense, considering Grado has only been making headphones since the mid 90s.

Are you brain dead? Grado has been making headphones since the 60s.

May 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 57
Obviously the OP does not understand that we like Grados because it upsets him (or her). It is, in fact, a conspiracy.

May 30, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Uhh Wrong. Phono cartridges yes, headphones no.

May 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

I'm not sure about the accuracy of that statement (pretty sure it's wrong), but even if it's true, most of the models loved here are from the 90s or later.

And even if they were from the 60s, old headphones aren't necessarily bad. The DT48 has a following here and they were developed in 1937 (released in the 50s). The technology isn't advancing as quickly as you'd think.

It's entirely possible that he's trolling, but I think it's best to treat it as if he's not. A lot of the time people are making genuine criticism and being ignored for being a "troll" will not give them any answers they were looking for.

May 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Yes, and how long has Sennheiser been making headphones? How about AKG? I believe they released their first headphone in 1949.

May 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

They made PHONO CARTRIDGES in the 60s when it was under Joseph Grado. John took over in the 90s.

Stupid troll.

May 30, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and how long has Sennheiser been making headphones? How about AKG? I believe they released their first headphone in 1949.

Well at least Sennheiser and AKG models look more modern, and their names are pretty tight. And AKG and Sennheiser are proper big companies, unlike the family run grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back