Why are flagship headphones so expensive now?
Jan 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #211 of 423
In case anyone has missed it, apparently $6000 is where the community decided they've had enough with the price inflation. Manufacturers beware?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831355/hifiman-edition-6-headphones/270#post_13170870

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #212 of 423
In case anyone has missed it, apparently $6000 is where the community decided they've had enough with the price inflation. Manufacturers beware?

lol.thanks for sharing

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #213 of 423

Honestly, all I see is people wanting to have the latest and greatest for nothing.

What is the big deal that there is a new $6000 headphone? Hifiman still has cheaper offerings like the HE-1000 or the HEX (very underrated headphone by the way).

By the way, I have no interest in the Hifiman Edition 6 at $6000. But I will give it some listening sessions when I get the chance :p

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #214 of 423
From skimming the thread, it seems a lot of customers have experienced issues with QC, build quality and service. It's definitely a test of their customers' good will by increasing pricing so much! I assume the Edition 6 is different than the Shangri-La, which is supposedly going to be $50K with amp?

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #215 of 423
Let me insert this side tracked posting please.

I just bought a $499.99 MSRP headphone for $239.00 from an authorized dealer. I can only compare this to a $70.00 headphone that I own. The more expensive headphone does sound better but not by much. At $499.99, this is a complete ripoff. At $239.00 this is way over priced. $150.00 would be a comfortable price for me. I may add that their is an active thread on this website about these headphones. You would think these headphones are a "sacred cow". I am not mentioning any brands or models because I do not want a "flaming war".

Has any of manufacturers posted here to defend their pricing? Maybe we could understand what goes into expensive headphones.

When buying expensive "stuff " >>> Buyer Beware !!!

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #216 of 423
I feel like post 2007 economic crash especially, far more companies have started to abuse pricing trends, essentially realising they can extract more and more out of the 1%, since unfortunately so many do have more money than sense. Not suggesting I'm any different mind lol.

You look at the pricing with headphones, cars, properties, fashion items, sunglasses, watches, everything. Things have moved way beyond typical inflation, to absurd, ever further removed from the average masses pricing. Look at the old watch price lists for Rolex's, Audemers Piguet etc, and there was sensible graduation between pricing, nothing too absurd unless it was filled with gold and diamonds. Now? Lol. You have tourbillions that cost hundred's of thousands, and standard watches like the Sky-Sweller for £25k. An ordinary Rolex, no gold, platinum, diamonds etc, for £25k....There was also a time where the £800k Porsche wanted to charge for the 918 Spyder seemed absurd. Likewise with the £1m+ for the P1. But now its become fashionable for super and hyper cars to cost over a million, often even millions, even ones that are basically just rehashes of past releases, only slightly tweaked, mostly in the chassis' *cough* Lamborghini *cough*. Come to think of it, Audeze is sort of like the Lamborghini of headphones lol. 

As consumers, we really need to fight back against these absurd price hikes, and by fight back I mean protest....with our wallets! It's supply and demand at the end of the day. If people are happy to continuously spend more and more money, for less and less value proposition or fewer technological advancements, manufacturers will happily oblige. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #217 of 423
I don't agree with "fighting back". If anything, cheaper gear of all kinds has improved vastly as a result of the "1%" buying the super-over-engineered products. As I've pointed out, you can get $50 IEMs now that sound fantastic. To add to that, If you want a pair of excellent headphones for a few hundred dollars, I'd pick, maybe surprisingly, a pair of Sony 1000X Bluetooth, noise-cancelling headphones, as you don't need anything beyond your smart phone to get excellent sound, if not a Sony Walkman with high-res transmission.

Anyhow, if people with a lot of money want to spend, who are we to argue? The most useful course of action is to appreciate what we have and are able to get.

The real question of this thread should be: Why are there more multi-thousand-dollar high-end headphones being made recently? And the answer is because people with money want to buy the best a manufacturer can make. Why is anyone offended by this?

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #218 of 423
  Let me insert this side tracked posting please.

I just bought a $499.99 MSRP headphone for $239.00 from an authorized dealer. I can only compare this to a $70.00 headphone that I own. The more expensive headphone does sound better but not by much. At $499.99, this is a complete ripoff. At $239.00 this is way over priced. $150.00 would be a comfortable price for me. I may add that their is an active thread on this website about these headphones. You would think these headphones are a "sacred cow". I am not mentioning any brands or models because I do not want a "flaming war".

Has any of manufacturers posted here to defend their pricing? Maybe we could understand what goes into expensive headphones.

When buying expensive "stuff " >>> Buyer Beware !!!

there is probably a reason why authorized dealer cut the price less than half. it must of not been a good headphone in the first place that $500 msrp one. I would go and say a sennheiser HD600/650 would be the better buy.

The source is also very important headphones are the cheapest part of the high end chain. having plugged my thousand dollar headphones into less favorable amp/dac my headphones arent worth their price, then again that kind of magic is expensive.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #219 of 423
Currawong:

Your posting does make sense. I am not offended if someone wants to spend their money on Top Of The Line ... Anything. All I am saying is what I said above "Buyer Beware"

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #220 of 423
  I don't agree with "fighting back". If anything, cheaper gear of all kinds has improved vastly as a result of the "1%" buying the super-over-engineered products. As I've pointed out, you can get $50 IEMs now that sound fantastic. To add to that, If you want a pair of excellent headphones for a few hundred dollars, I'd pick, maybe surprisingly, a pair of Sony 1000X Bluetooth, noise-cancelling headphones, as you don't need anything beyond your smart phone to get excellent sound, if not a Sony Walkman with high-res transmission.

Anyhow, if people with a lot of money want to spend, who are we to argue? The most useful course of action is to appreciate what we have and are able to get.

The real question of this thread should be: Why are there more multi-thousand-dollar high-end headphones being made recently? And the answer is because people with money want to buy the best a manufacturer can make. Why is anyone offended by this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be holier than thou, since I regard myself as part of the problem. I too spend way too much money on technology. Though I'm certainly more cynical about it today than I was a few years ago, just out of experience.

Also, I semi agree with you about cheaper gear being improved as a direct result of the 1%, though to a limited context. I think the popularity of extreme priced premium audio-fi gear is a mostly separate phenomenon, and that the increase in better lower priced audio equipment correlates more to trends and developments in manufacturing.

As someone who delves in overseas manufacturing for parts of my business, I think the improvements in affordable audio products are more to do with cheaper, easier, more advanced, and more globalised mass manufacturing options (eg Chinese, South Asian low cost manufacture), as well as the increased competitiveness it has brought with it.

You have these huge factories that are essentially already manufacturing low, mid and hi-fi equipment for big brand names from around the world, and often times they absorb the know how, R&D, processes, functions etc, themselves improving, advancing or developing methods, technologies etc, and then applying that to other often far cheaper, less prominent brands, products etc, with far more limited marketing, market share etc, and as a result, much less mark-up.

In that sense it is much easier today, for a person with some decent audio engineering knowledge, to start a new company producing new headphones/earphones, because low cost manufacturing options are far more accessible and prevalent.  

Then you also have modders, companies etc who are able to take capable but cheap mass produced drivers, and mod or manufacture housing at lower costs to essentially extract more from them (see Mad Dog, TX00, E-MU etc).

Regarding the point about why there are more multi thousand dollar headphones, I think you're on the money (pun intnded), because there's that tiny minority of super wealthy hobbyists who are willing to keep forking out for it. Not necessarily because they want the best that a particular manufacturer can offer, rather because they simply want the best full stop, and as a result of marketing, hype etc, have been convinced that spending more and more money, is necessary to achieve that.

The irony is, I'm not really sure that high end headphone technology really has advanced that much in the last few decades, at least not in terms of the resulting audio performance. Are the super expensive headphones of today really that much, if any better than the golden oldies like the Sony MDR-R10's or the Stax SR-009's (which were themselves exorbitently priced at the time)?

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #221 of 423

I agree and some people are only taking parts into consideration as if that is all there is to business when manufacturing,warranties,R&D and employee's cost quite a bit.

Beats when they started spent a couple million before even getting to manufacturing.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #222 of 423

The irony is, I'm not really sure that high end headphone technology really has advanced that much in the last few decades, at least not in terms of the resulting audio performance. Are the super expensive headphones of today really that much, if any better than the golden oldies like the Sony MDR-R10's or the Stax SR-009's (which were themselves exorbitently priced at the time)?

While I did have some pretty good sounding headphones 20 years ago. I do think they sound even better nowdays and they wouldn't have been able to make IEM's back then

Speakers tend to have better coils and bigger magnets than they used to 

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #224 of 423
One can only hope that it backfires and make certain companies get back to planet earth! 
Lets face it, its not night & day differences between lets say a 1k headphone and a 3k. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #225 of 423
No reason not to stay at the sane end.. 

Been serious about headphone set ups for around 12 year. I'm currently rocking Qdac - LD mkii - HD700. Happy as a pink farm animal in excrement :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back