Why 24 bit audio and anything over 48k is not only worthless, but bad for music.
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,341 of 3,525
So please, enough with the "we do not know"!
I see this old thread has blown up again. But I think the real problem, as ever, is not that the subjectivists "do not know", but that they don't want to know. What they do want is to believe. I think we need to accept that there's little chance of converting a devoted adherent of faith-based audiophilia - they have too much invested in their never-ending search for audio nirvana. The best we can hope for is to raise the spectre of doubt in the minds of those who have not yet fully bought into the subjectivist dogma and can, perhaps, still be saved from the quagmire of perpetual dissatisfaction that fuels the 'high-end' industry.

There are a small number who have attempted to demonstrate real perceptual effects for ultrasonic/super DR audio, and I've covered their efforts in previous posts here. They have failed, but there's no shame in that and one should respect anyone seeking to perform genuine and honest experiments. Such things are, at least, interesting and worth arguing over. But arguing over someone's faith is a different matter, and faith-based audiophiles are just going to continue to entrench themselves further as a bulwark against apostasy. Some cancers can't be cut out, but there are still things you can do to stop them spreading.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #2,342 of 3,525
@gregorio in post: 13809060

You need to quote me properly, as not to falsify what you claim to be said. As in this post.

If you do not comprehend what is being said, you need to be careful at rephrasing quotes.

I struggled through your rant, but when you claim that recording individual instruments in mono to be "nonsense", there is not much reason left. Apart from a very few select instruments, like perk, this is done every day, all around the world. As it has, for ages.

Also, if you did not misquote me, you will clearly see, that I actually do not claim any opposition to Fourier at all. I actually accepted at face value, the claim that you made. I just happened to use a secondary paradigm, and more than one philosophy at a time. Which I am known for. It might not be known to you, but what might appear as evident from one angle, might be evidently false, from another. If that drives you nuts, then so be it. I cannot help it, but I am not that narrow minded.

R...The very fact that you "miss the point" of "dragging Fourier into this" indicates a massive hole in your personal knowledge/understanding of the "complexity of sound" and therefore all sorts of resulting nonsense theories, but it is just a case of you personally not knowing/understanding, NOT a case that "we don't know"! ...

If you read my statement closely, I actually pointed to a very well known theory of astronomy, which actually does exactly the same as Fourier, which is making a math expression, simulate another piece of math. As for how humans break down sound inside the brain, well, that is not known at all. Which was my main point. Thus it also belongs, for now, firmly in the interpretive paradigm. It is the only one that makes any sense. You might have proof, for all I know, as to how the brain actually calculates the sensation of sounds. If you do, that would simply be a sensation, and a huge breakthrough of epic proportions. That is why, I believe you got no such proof, or anything even remotely close to it.

If somebody suddenly can convert the brain into a computer, which you claim to do, then that is the one of the biggest milestones in human history. After all, you are bashing me in a rant, for claiming that this milestone simply is no being reached. Maybe you rather should quit the ranting?

If proof is what is being reflected over the last few pages, then the epistemology of this place is lacking. Not my cup of tea. Good to know. Bye for now.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,343 of 3,525
What do you record that hits 136 dB SPL? of course you need be in room with noise floor less than 16 dB SPL. For something like a violin you will not be able to exceed 16 bit with a SM81.
What do you record that hits 136 dB SPL?
Close mic'ed drum hits.
of course you need be in room with noise floor less than 16 dB SPL.
Room noise isn't specified as SPL, but there are 10dB studios in the world. The one I last worked in was NC15 (we don't use NC anymore).
For something like a violin you will not be able to exceed 16 bit with a SM81.
Yup, and it's not even a challenge.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,345 of 3,525
If you read my statement closely, I actually pointed to a very well known theory of astronomy, which actually does exactly the same as Fourier, which is making a math expression, simulate another piece of math. As for how humans break down sound inside the brain, well, that is not known at all. Which was my main point. Thus it also belongs, for now, firmly in the interpretive paradigm. It is the only one that makes any sense. You might have proof, for all I know, as to how the brain actually calculates the sensation of sounds. If you do, that would simply be a sensation, and a huge breakthrough of epic proportions. That is why, I believe you got no such proof, or anything even remotely close to it.

If somebody suddenly can convert the brain into a computer, which you claim to do, then that is the one of the biggest milestones in human history. After all, you are bashing me in a rant, for claiming that this milestone simply is no being reached. Maybe you rather should quit the ranting?

If proof is what is being reflected over the last few pages, then the epistemology of this place is lacking. Not my cup of tea. Good to know. Bye for now.

There have been decades of research on how humans perceive sound, and it's the reason why we've been able to get the necessary transparency bandwidth for audio data down to 128-256k! All that leans heavily on Fourier theory. Fine if you want to say "human hearing is complex", but that isn't proof that you need more bits or samples/second, which is of course the kind of thing people want to assume rather than prove.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #2,346 of 3,525
[1] You need to quote me properly, as not to falsify what you claim to be said.
[1a] If you do not comprehend what is being said, you need to be careful at rephrasing quotes.
[2] ... when you claim that recording individual instruments in mono to be "nonsense", there is not much reason left.
[3] .. you will clearly see, that I actually do not claim any opposition to Fourier at all. I actually accepted at face value, the claim that you made. I just happened to use a secondary paradigm, and more than one philosophy at a time ...
[4] As for how humans break down sound inside the brain, well, that is not known at all. Which was my main point.

1. Pot, kettle, black. 1a. POT, KETTLE, BLACK!!
2. You're right, I have no reason and we should do as you say: We should indeed spend a year recording each symphony orchestra piece, recording each of the 100 or musicians one at a time in mono, in an anechoic chamber. It would cost a prohibitive fortune AND sound like utter crap but hey, you're the one with reason and I'm the one talking nonsense.
3. That's nonsense, void of all logic! Fourier is proven math. You either accept that 1+1=2, in which case there is no "secondary paradigm" or you don't accept that 1+1=2, in which case you can have whatever paradigm/philosophy you want but of course everyone will think you're nuts unless you've actually found a way to prove that 1+1≠2!
4. Here we go again, you don't know, therefore no one does. The whole thing is nonsense, because whatever the human brain does or does not do is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT! We are talking about the amount of data (bit depth and sample rate) required by a consumer distribution format to accurately reproduce an electric current. You ears cannot hear either digital data nor an electric current, so what has any of this to do with your ears and brain"??

G

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,347 of 3,525
You are talking about a multi speaker setup. Which is about as far away as you can get, form using headsets. While headsets would have few if none limits as to what may be achieved, speakers have a ton of limitations.
Headphones have limitations too.

That is a $350 microphone. Listed spec:
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 78 dB (IEC 651)* at 94 dB SPL S/N ratio is difference between 94 dB SPL and equivalent SPL of self– noise A-weighted
http://cdn.shure.com/specification_sheet/upload/228/sm81-specification-sheet-english.pdf

SN is also heavily dependent on the amp used. As for high floating point precision, sure, that is a thing these days. Signal processing is not my field of expertise.
Not really, the equivalent input noise on a mic pre is generally much lower than a mic. That is the goal of a good mic pre.
Thanks. I looked it up and had a quick look at the 50 first pages. Appears to be a purely positivistic work, yet not stating so at all. Not really stating any assumptions at all, like a lot of this type of work. A bit of warning though, a lot of the assumptions within the field of psychology, are really just that: Assumptions. Reading these works requires caution as to what tradition they are done within, as to trace the validity of their claims. I like to read the abstract first, then the conclusion, but that will have to wait til I get time for it, at the University.

It is also a bit strange to be faced with the general consensus as of decades, that I just wrote about. Knowing how equipment sensitive this is at the reproduction stage, I hope they rather did some real life experiments. Any results is beyond page 50, which is what Google shared. If they tested peopled that had a trained ear for this, it would be possible to reverse the calculation into bits and hz for sampling. If you know what the findings were, please share.
You asked for a recommendation, and you clearly can google...go nuts. I didn't ask for a book review.

People can handle five tasks at once, some up to 7. For any design work, there is a consensus at five tasks at the most.
With each task added proficiency drops significantly. People can typically only do one task well.
That is why we got harmonies.
Playing/singing harmony is a single task.
As for the need of stereo, no, that is a false statement. The gear having stereo output assumes regular stereo setup, which vector sound is not. Stereo output does neither fit into any 5.1 or similar scheme either. Yes, you will need a "channel" for every single sound, and no, that is not done in post processing like the Smyth. It is a form of presentation layer, that requires a form of computer. Like a smartphone or a PC. For music and static reproduction (not head spinning adjusted), the output might be processed once, and saved as regular stereo, for a given user-gear combo.

People seem to struggle with the fact that: No. There is no height to stereo. It is simply not there. Just as there is no stereo to mono. If you claim there is dept to stereo, please share with us, the physics at work. I used to think there was, until I got a fairly clean digital signal. That was an embarrassing moment, to say the least.

This focus on speakers is a bit misplaced. The room in which you listen is almost always the limiting factor, unless you pad every surface like nuts. Including the ceiling. Windows are a no go. Once you move into vector sound, speakers really start to struggle, no matter the room.
Any directional vector can be either simulated with heaphones or speakers or reproduce with the physical speaker at that vector. The simulation accuracy depends on an accurate HRTF, which, unfortunately, is highly individualized, making general HRTF
processing somewhat ambiguous.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,348 of 3,525
@gregorio in post: 13809060
You need to quote me properly, as not to falsify what you claim to be said. As in this post.

I have a little advice for you to help you participate in discussions better...

1) Listen to what people say and reply to the points people are making.

2) If someone is misquoting or misunderstanding your point, that is an invitation to you to make your point more clearly and to provide supporting arguments to make your case. It may be that you are being unclear because you aren't organizing your arguments into clear paragraphs with a clear opening statement, followed by supporting facts, and finishing up with a concise summation at the end.

3) If someone is deliberately mischaracterizing your points or engaging in ad hominem attacks, ignore them or speak past them to the lurkers, or address the people in the discussion who are debating fairly.

4) If you reply to someone by simply saying, "you are wrong and you're mischaracterizing what I say" without providing clarification and proofs to back up what you say, you might as well just concede defeat, because that's exactly what a post like that communicates to your readers. Especially if you end the post with "I'm out of here."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #2,349 of 3,525
You don't use a U87 for it's noise floor, though. There are far quieter LDCs.

The studios I work with have really good mic pres and noise gates on the vocal mics.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #2,350 of 3,525
The studios I work with have really good mic pres and noise gates on the vocal mics.
You certainly can use a noise gate, but they are tricky beasts. Better done in post, but a good quiet studio or vocal booth, they should not be necessary. A good quiet mic pre, quieter than any mic in the locker, should be no big deal. The ones I designed in 1980 are still quieter than any mic's self noise today, and I didn't do much that was "special".

The "Worlds Quietest Studio Mic"...according to Rode, is their NT1A, self noise at 5dBA and 132dB of total DR. It is, in fact, very quiet indeed. Yet, still the limiting factor (not the mic pre) because its output is very hot putting it's 5dBA self noise well above the equivalent input noise of any decent mic preamp. Of course, noise performance alone isn't mics are selected for use. The NT1A has it's points, but isn't really preferred over many noisier mics because of other factors.

But, using an NT1A and a good mic preamp will push the limits of any 24bit ADC today, none of which actually have true 24 bit noise performance (except for one).

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,351 of 3,525
I always used that mic when I was recording the Chipmunks. We used a gate because the noise would get VSO'ed up along with the voices and sound really nasty. It was all done on analogue tape even though it was a digital studio because the head guy didn't like digital VSO.

I don't remember what specific mic pres they were using, but I remember being told by the engineer that they were worth more than he was!

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,353 of 3,525
Ha! They work for peanuts!

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,354 of 3,525
Close mic'ed drum hits.
Room noise isn't specified as SPL, but there are 10dB studios in the world.
Yup, and it's not even a challenge.
You don't use a U87 for it's noise floor, though.

Except for the last quoted sentence, I feel you're ignoring the actual practicalities/reality. Yes, a close mic'ed snare drum rimshot for example might produce a very high level, there are very low noise floor studios in the world and in theory you might be able to exceed 96dB dynamic range with a violin (not sure it wouldn't be a challenge though). BUT, even if you did have an exceptionally low noise floor live room, it's not so low a noise floor once you put musicians in there. In the case of say a rimshot or drum hit, the noise floor picked-up by that close mic is effectively incredibly high because a drum hit/rimshot typically does not occur in complete isolation, there would be spill from other instruments in the drum kit and typically we never use just a close mic, because it doesn't give a desirable/aesthetically pleasing result. In the case of a violin, the only way I can imagine of potentially exceeding 96dB dynamic range would be to very close mic it but again, in practise that is very undesirable.

In theory I'm sure you know what you're talking about but I don't know in practise, I've never tried it because it's either not possible in practise or it's aesthetically undesirable. Mics are chosen for their sonic characteristics, noise floor is only one of those characteristics and typically not the characteristic of primary concern and the same is sometimes true of the mic pre-amp. In other words, if my only goal as a recording engineer were to achieve the highest possible dynamic range, then maybe 16bit would in some cases not be enough but that is not my only goal in reality, in fact, it's quite a long way down the list of goals.

G

EDIT: "none of which actually have true 24 bit noise performance (except for one)." - There's one which does, how is that possible? Can you let me know which one or give me a link please, I'd like to read up on it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,355 of 3,525
... You asked for a recommendation, and you clearly can google...go nuts. I didn't ask for a book review. ...

I asked for if people knew of any good research on a topic, that implies, at least in any scientific forum I know about, that you know what your recommend and find it good yourself. I actually tired to look it up, in multiple online research databases, and it is not available on those. Given that you seem to indicate you just googled the book, and is not a book you recommend based on your own knowledge of it, I will not spend more time on it. Seems like wasted time. As a researcher, this is pretty irritating waste of time.

But speakers do soundstage and directionality naturally. Headphones have to be processed into doing it. I understand what you're talking about, but that has never been a part of acoustic sound reproduction. Back in the days of the acoustic Victrola they recorded everything dry and used the horn in the phonograph to project the sound into the room to give it a natural presence. Room ambience helped make severely limited recordings sound so real and present they could make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Natural room ambience is an important part of the sound quality of a speaker system too. If you think that the ideal listening room is completely dry and dead, and all of the ambience should be baked into the mix, you're wrong about what makes a good speaker system. The acoustics of the room is as much a part of the sound quality as the acoustics of the speakers.

It sounds like you're theorizing about speakers the way people theorize about headphones. But they are quite different animals and have different goals, advantages and limitations. With headphones, you're removing the room from the
equation to make balanced frequency response and super low distortion easier to achieve. With speakers you are taking advantage of the room acoustics to give ambient space for the sound to exist in and you're adding a kinesthetic punch to the sound. Two totally different approaches- both equally valid- and both suited for their own purposes. You could design a listening room to mimic the advantages of headphones, but it wouldn't exploit the unique benefits of speaker sound. And you can probably synthesize speaker sound with headphones, but you'll lose the advantages headphones have. And it would be like a digital reverb hall ambience vs. a real concert hall ambience. Close but no cigar.

You might want to google information about room treatment theory. That might help you understand how speaker systems are implemented. You'll find out that the goal of room treatment isn't to remove all reflections. It's to remove *detrimental* reflections so the disadvantages are minimized and natural room ambience can help the sound bloom and exist in three dimensional space. Speaker systems are optimized to create something bigger and better than the recording alone. They aren't about clinically presenting the recording and nothing else. Recording booths are about isolation because you want to focus on just the sound you're trying to get down in the recording. But speakers use the room to* enhance* the recording.

Not many people have heard a surround system optimized for music listening. Most of them are optimized for home theater. But a really good speaker system in a really good room does things headphones can't. And headphones do things speakers can't. It's best to use each for what it does best and not try to make one into the other.

Sure. Bose in particular has been playing on this aspect for years now. The problem is the physics of it. What you speak of, is adding to the recording, which is a form of distortion. For speakers, there is plenty of distortions in any normal environment, and for most acoustics designs, making these as flattering as possible, is a stated goal. But when the speaker itself and the room acoustics becomes a part of the musical mix, clearly altering the presentation, do we need high res music for that? I have even attended lectures at conferences for recording industry, covering just room acoustics. Read books on the topics. Even books on speaker building, like the calculations done on the reflex volume, and its affect on the rendering. Speakers are not rendering exactly what the recording is.

But sure, some argue about this "dryness" whatever that is. If you mean that nothing is added to the recording, then I am all with you. Some speakers play just fine, without the need for much to be added, and without a great need for extra reflections. Typically a studio speaker.

Moving beyond 16bit, if distorting the rendering like a normal listening situation with speakers do, why do you need more than 16bit? If you do not play above 90db, in pure technical terms, it should be all there, at 16bit. If there is an audible difference, and sure, that might be the case, what is causing it? There is also a ton of added distortion, for non-"dry rooms". Why this need for this super accurate rendering then?

There have been decades of research on how humans perceive sound, and it's the reason why we've been able to get the necessary transparency bandwidth for audio data down to 128-256k! All that leans heavily on Fourier theory. Fine if you want to say "human hearing is complex", but that isn't proof that you need more bits or samples/second, which is of course the kind of thing people want to assume rather than prove.

I have no idea what you are talking about. A search in multiple science data bases return hits from the field of networking and on Google I get a lot of hits in the field of signal processing. A quick definition of the term, is not available, and not obtainable, without a considerable effort, even for me and the access I got through the University. I do not have the time for that. If this is vital info, please share.

Also, even though some theories and models have success at making the signal as imperfect as possible, yet still recognizable, it still is not The Explanation of how human hearing is working or what algorithms humans use. It perfectly well might be just a coincidence or a correlation. For all we know, there might be no universality to this at all.

And yet, I agree. That something is complex, is not proof of much. But if it is complex, then it is not simple. Also, if it is poorly understood, and there is limited knowledge, and universality is a huge unknown, what is known is really dependent on the epistemology applied. What is proof, depends on your epistemology and your ontology.

What is expected, currently, with the results at hand, is that positional accuracy, as done by hearing, will correlate with the findings of the bounds discovered thus far. But that is for the simple stuff. There might be combination of variables, or complexity, that suddenly reveals a different result, as a result of how the brain and senses work. Until that is a known, it will remain an unknown.

People also need to realize, that hardly any, if any, theory in physics is proven. They are just not proven false: Yet. The concept of knowledge is not a trivial one, and what constitutes a proof for anything, is a very blurry landscape. At least in science. That is why we, and at the risk of putting people of, we as in the science community, refer to the tradition we are a part of. It is essential.

Having seen and been taught some signal processing, what was constituted as a proof of no loss for image treatment, was not really my thing. I got great respect for what have been achieved, but no so much on what is considered proof for no loss on lossy compression. Particularly, when faced with proof that falsifies the results, the community answer is a huge letdown. Their math proofs usually holds up though, but as a tradition, it is flat out weak, if any subjectivity is introduced.

Except for the last quoted sentence, I feel you're ignoring the actual practicalities/reality. Yes, a close mic'ed snare drum rimshot for example might produce a very high level, there are very low noise floor studios in the world and in theory you might be able to exceed 96dB dynamic range with a violin (not sure it wouldn't be a challenge though). BUT, even if you did have an exceptionally low noise floor live room, it's not so low a noise floor once you put musicians in there. In the case of say a rimshot or drum hit, the noise floor picked-up by that close mic is effectively incredibly high because a drum hit/rimshot typically does not occur in complete isolation, there would be spill from other instruments in the drum kit and typically we never use just a close mic, because it doesn't give a desirable/aesthetically pleasing result. In the case of a violin, the only way I can imagine of potentially exceeding 96dB dynamic range would be to very close mic it but again, in practise that is very undesirable.

In theory I'm sure you know what you're talking about but I don't know in practise, I've never tried it because it's either not possible in practise or it's aesthetically undesirable. Mics are chosen for their sonic characteristics, noise floor is only one of those characteristics and typically not the characteristic of primary concern and the same is sometimes true of the mic pre-amp. In other words, if my only goal as a recording engineer were to achieve the highest possible dynamic range, then maybe 16bit would in some cases not be enough but that is not my only goal in reality, in fact, it's quite a long way down the list of goals.

G

EDIT: "none of which actually have true 24 bit noise performance (except for one)." - There's one which does, how is that possible? Can you let me know which one or give me a link please, I'd like to read up on it.

I really like this post. It falls inline with my impression of how musicians typically work. I know people who could probably say exactly the same, almost word for word, for a greater part of this post.

Noise Reduction is used in post, if a mic picks up too much noise. Many find this a non-issue. Sometimes mics are used, even knowing they produce a lot of noise, for multiple reasons. If you struggle with that, you need to listen to some Ed Sheeran tracks of late. Like "Supermarket Flowers". Just listen for it, and you will be able to pick it up all over the place, all over, as across the music industry. Just like in the old days, when Dolby C was used. If you know how that degraded the track, you can clearly hear the tell tale signs.

As for picking mics, there are a ton of videos on mics on the tube. The irony is that they are often picked for having a character opposite of what many audiophiles call for: They are often picked for how they distort the sound. For most musicians, it is more about expression. They sound expression they seek. Or what mic would fit a particular voice, as to make it sound great.

You will also find a lot of the bloggers or tubers posting on the gear they use. Almost any video using a mosquito, include some NR in post. The talk is more about the noise floor, and at least for portable gear, the mic amp is a huge factor as well.

I tried the high res on my portable recorder, and the result was worse than that of 16/44.1. Which is in line with the original claim of this thread. I found no benefit in post either, actually quite the opposite. Thing is, I have the exact same experience with my USB interface at home as well, which is a best selling USB interface for musicians. Sure, there is a difference, it is just for the worse.

As for math, high res recordings should sound as low res, but not in my case. To me, it is evident that something else is going on, like the interplay of gear, digital noise, or something.

It is not really that hard to tell a difference, but just because it comes with a label with a higher number, it is not necessarily better. I hear all these people speaking of their great high res experience, I just struggle to reproduce it.

Tidal introduced "Master" quality, using lossy (!) compression for high res. I just cannot get it to work, as with anything high res. Sure there is a difference. A difference for the worse. It even mess up the 16/44.1, which is supposed to be embedded, as it clearly is not lossless anymore. I would gladly pay for high res audio, but it better give me an improvement. That improvement is lost on me, on all my gear. I must be getting old or something.

Yet, the reported Tidal "improvements" is easy to achieve for 16/44.1 as well, just reduce the buffer to be as small, that it will produce a signal loss over USB, and a lot of the sonic traits are there. Sure, I can hear plenty of what is described as positive sonic traits, but these are what in my experience typically is followed by digital noise or signal loss. Also, a lot of other signs of noise, is present. There seem to be some improvement, but accompanied by a lot of negatives, making me even doubt if there is anything positives at all. What the real positives are, someone has yet to tell me.

I get an improvement from USB filtering and cables, but high res audio, it is still lost on me. Including when doing my own recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back