Who's your least favorite musical artist?
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #661 of 1,005

Quote:
NOT!…don't watch Big Bang Theory much, but the episodes I've seen are cool enough. On the other hand, I think the Black Eyed Peas are a drag…never understood their popularity at all.

"Hate" is such a strong word that I have a hard time with this question. But did, say, Master P's music have any redeeming qualities? I didn't waste enough time on it to actually hate it.

Frankly i think Chuck Lorre is the antichrist who lowered the standard of TV beyond what i though was possible. Bill Hicks had it wrong.. This isnt the thread on worst TV so i wont go further why these show sucks.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #663 of 1,005
"it's friday friday, gonna get down on Friday!" 
confused_face.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #664 of 1,005
And to think she made millions for that song....
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #665 of 1,005

Quote:
First of all, making music is something else than reproducing music. In my opinion, making music is creating something new, reproducing is reading a sheet of music and playing it. I reckon that reproducing music is actually a lot less difficult then making it, because it's not like you are doing much of the creative work. Claiming that all electronic music is made to appeal to the masses is plain ignorance, it started out as sound experiments in the early 1960's, like this:

If you deeply respect classical music, you have to understand that electronic music evolved from classical music. There is no reason to like one genre but hate the other.

Of course there is a lot of worthless electronic music around. But like in every genre, there are gems as well, meant for listening, not for dancing. This happens when someone uses a computer correctly, not to correct mistakes, not to make things easier, but to do things that he or she could have never done without it. The nonsense about lyrics just shows a lack of understanding of electronic music, because most electronic music doesn't have a singer on it and the praise goes to the producer. You're hating on chart pop music, not on electronic music.

Another important difference is between a producer and a DJ. Whilst most electronic artists do both, they aren't necisarily connected. A person could be a great producer, but a terrible DJ (felix da housecat for example) or vice versa. I've never heard a set from deadmau5, mainly because I dislike electro. What I do like though is mixed music (mainly techno), and I do believe that there is a artistical value in DJ'ing. Of course, a DJ uses the work of another person, but a good DJ makes it his own. Like Ritchie Hawtin constantly using 3 to 4 different songs at a time.

I really don't mind someone not liking electronic music. But claiming something is "not music" is plain ignorance. If someone makes sounds, and claims that it is music, it is.

Very good point my friend. Although it actually started in the 1930's with the composer Varese and shortly followed by John Cage. Stockhausen usually gets the credit though...  

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #666 of 1,005
I hate Take That.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #670 of 1,005
CC for the win!

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #671 of 1,005
The one thing that helped me understand the type of style Kontaktes' 1960s party movement was to see this movie....................................................................................................................................................http://thisisquietcool.blogspot.com/2009/11/jess-francos-succubus-necronomicon-1968.html.............................................................................................................................................
Quote:
First of all, making music is something else than reproducing music. In my opinion, making music is creating something new, reproducing is reading a sheet of music and playing it. I reckon that reproducing music is actually a lot less difficult then making it, because it's not like you are doing much of the creative work. Claiming that all electronic music is made to appeal to the masses is plain ignorance, it started out as sound experiments in the early 1960's, like this:

If you deeply respect classical music, you have to understand that electronic music evolved from classical music. There is no reason to like one genre but hate the other.

Of course there is a lot of worthless electronic music around. But like in every genre, there are gems as well, meant for listening, not for dancing. This happens when someone uses a computer correctly, not to correct mistakes, not to make things easier, but to do things that he or she could have never done without it. The nonsense about lyrics just shows a lack of understanding of electronic music, because most electronic music doesn't have a singer on it and the praise goes to the producer. You're hating on chart pop music, not on electronic music.

Another important difference is between a producer and a DJ. Whilst most electronic artists do both, they aren't necisarily connected. A person could be a great producer, but a terrible DJ (felix da housecat for example) or vice versa. I've never heard a set from deadmau5, mainly because I dislike electro. What I do like though is mixed music (mainly techno), and I do believe that there is a artistical value in DJ'ing. Of course, a DJ uses the work of another person, but a good DJ makes it his own. Like Ritchie Hawtin constantly using 3 to 4 different songs at a time.

I really don't mind someone not liking electronic music. But claiming something is "not music" is plain ignorance. If someone makes sounds, and claims that it is music, it is.

Succubus takes place in the mid sixties where they drop L at a party with Stockhausen playing. The first pop music which he is known for is Hymn which is the direct inspiration for Revolution (9) by The Beatles. If you read Julian Copes' book The Kraut rock sampler you will learn that the whole movement was from the inspiration of Stockhausen! We would not have Can,Neu,Tangerine Dream,Faust,and the music of Neu was a huge impact on Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols. So you can write if off if you were not there when it was going down, you can not resist the change it made to pop music of the 70s.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #672 of 1,005
I'm sorry, you just don't have any idea what you're talking about. 

Quote:
sorry but making beats with a computer is not as hard as playing guitar drums and bass all at once synchronized with the rest of the band. i don't hate electronic music i just don't consider it music as all you need is a computer with certain specs and equipment to make beats. music needs to be made with instruments to be classified as music. making noises with a computer is more of just plain dancing entertainment that appeals to the masses. and most of that main stream stuff doesn't even have good lyrics either. no thought is put into making anything as all the products produced was put together by the producer and all the musician does is let the producer record and change his/her voice. the producer should get the recognition not the musician. but i do enjoy electronic every once in a while but most of my music consists of metal and rock. i also enjoy some folk music and jazz is alright to and i have deep respect for classical music. and if you do please explain how techno/electronic is a genre of music. there is a mainstream techno artist that came to my town called deadmaus or something and all he did was sit there spinning discs he pre recorded. sorry bad thats a sad excuse for music.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #673 of 1,005
Actually I used to think like him, that is until I met someone who is a trance artist. Changed my perspective on it. Making a looping beat on a drum machine is not hard, I'll grant him that, but that is mostly done in party type music (ie: house, techno) and rap. Trance and other forms of electronic music don't do that. Then you have to deal with all the electric sounds possible from the computer, all the different synthed instruments, then you can write in real instruments and perform with those live (ie drums, violins, guitars are just a few that I have seen perform live with a trance artist). It is actually harder if you consider that. Electronic music is todays classical music. It has many of the same principles, just that instead of controlling people the DJ is controlling synth instruments. There is the matter of if sampling is creative or not though, but I won't get into that debate.

Quote:
I'm sorry, you just don't have any idea what you're talking about. 

Quote:
sorry but making beats with a computer is not as hard as playing guitar drums and bass all at once synchronized with the rest of the band. i don't hate electronic music i just don't consider it music as all you need is a computer with certain specs and equipment to make beats. music needs to be made with instruments to be classified as music. making noises with a computer is more of just plain dancing entertainment that appeals to the masses. and most of that main stream stuff doesn't even have good lyrics either. no thought is put into making anything as all the products produced was put together by the producer and all the musician does is let the producer record and change his/her voice. the producer should get the recognition not the musician. but i do enjoy electronic every once in a while but most of my music consists of metal and rock. i also enjoy some folk music and jazz is alright to and i have deep respect for classical music. and if you do please explain how techno/electronic is a genre of music. there is a mainstream techno artist that came to my town called deadmaus or something and all he did was sit there spinning discs he pre recorded. sorry bad thats a sad excuse for music.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #675 of 1,005
I would have to say anything that sounds Country. You know when you're a little kid and you hate a certain vegetable (i.e. tomatoes) and then later in life you hatred turns to a love.  Well,  I thought at some time in my life this would happen with country, but every time I give it a try, my hatred becomes more and more.
Guess i'll never like country which is completely fine by me. I think I would rather get kicked square in the music box then have to listen to a country song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back