Who's your least favorite musical artist?
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #244 of 1,005
Ah, the Black Eyed Peas. One of the all time great lyricists......

Just listen to these beautiful lyrics:

I gotta feeling,
that tonights gonna be a good night

And FallenAngel, I bet your IQ was 140 before liking the Black Eyed Peas.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #246 of 1,005
blink 182, the lead singer,errr I mean one half of the lead singer (s) is sooooo annoying and whiny...no wonder why they need the other half to back him up

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #247 of 1,005

I was in Top Dog once in Berkeley, and it was after a Cal Football game, some drunk guy walked in out of the rain, to a crowd of about twenty people inside and shouted, "EY, EY, CAN I GET A BEAT??" Someone else gave just a simple beatboxing beat, and the drunk guy sang, "I've gotta feeling! That the niiiiiiiiiiiiinnnerrrsss are gonnnnaaaaa WIIIIIIIIINNNN the SUuuuuuUUUUuuuPER BOoooooooowwLLLLllllllllll"

He was promptly booed out of the restaurant, not only was he in Oakland, but it was last year when the Niners were even worse than now. It was absolutely hilarious. I kind of like that ONE Black Eyed Peas song now though. 
Quote:
Ah, the Black Eyed Peas. One of the all time great lyricists......

Just listen to these beautiful lyrics:

I gotta feeling,

And FallenAngel, I bet your IQ was 140 before liking the Black Eyed Peas.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #248 of 1,005

Quote:
Does this count?
angry_face.gif

No, she's just one of the most annoying ****'s ever.  (fill in the stars)

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #249 of 1,005

I hate that everyone equates gangsta rap as crap and the worst of the worst. But in my opinion there are some great gangsta album out there that are just awesome like the first album by the Westside Connection, Infamous by Mobb Deep, Snoop Dogg Doggystyle and Dr. Dre's The Chronic. All great gangsta rap albums. But to each's own
redface.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget rock. Boogie Down Productions sampled AC/DC on "Dope Beat" from their classic Criminal Minded album twenty years ago. Even before that, Run DMC recorded "Rock Box" with blazing lead guitar from (I think) the guitarist from Quiet Riot. They also recorded a series of other rap/rock fusions, like "King of Rock." Public Enemy famously recorded a version of "Bring the Noise" with Anthrax. Don't forget LL Cool J's "Rock the Bells." Mos Def led a flat-out rock band for a while a couple of years ago, that included lead guitarist Dr. Know from the Bad Brains. More recently, Dizzee Rascal sampled Billy Squier for the drum loop in "Fix Up, Look Sharp" from his debut album in 2004. Nas just used a sample of the main riff from Iron Butterfly's "Ina Gadda Da Vida" on the title track of his most recent album "Hip Hop is Dead."

And on and on...

Point is, hip-hop and rock have passed a lot of sounds, ideas, and attitudes back and forth for decades.

People who dismiss hip-hop have no concept of the diversity of sources in the music, or of the variety of sounds it incorporates. Partly to blame for this, though, is the cookie-cutter sameness of a lot of corporate hip-hop pushed into the commercial market over the last few years.

The preponderant emphasis on gangsta posturing, to the exclusion of almost everything else, has not been a good thing. It's hard for an artist like, say, Lupe Fiasco, to get much traction under the circumstances.

Amen....it's a sore topic for me, because hip-hop encompases happy horns, drum and bass, lots of jazz influences....people do dismisship-hop as rap and gansta Crap, but fail to look back at the roots of hip hop like White Lines, Rappers Delight, and other soul music...it's a shame really, and it's own industry is to blame....

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #250 of 1,005
You forgot Hammer's Pumps in a Bump

Quote:
I hate that everyone equates gangsta rap as crap and the worst of the worst. But in my opinion there are some great gangsta album out there that are just awesome like the first album by the Westside Connection, Infamous by Mobb Deep, Snoop Dogg Doggystyle and Dr. Dre's The Chronic. All great gangsta rap albums. But to each's own
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #251 of 1,005
Hahahahaha I love sarcasm.

Quote:
You forgot Hammer's Pumps in a Bump

Quote:
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #252 of 1,005
Doggy Style is still one of my most favorite rap albums ever, but admittedly I too can't stand 98% of rap gangstuh or otherwise. And Punk. I'd rather snort powdered glass than listen to another Rancid album.

Quote:
redface.gif

~It ain't no fun if the homeys can't get none~

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #253 of 1,005
Great so see some love for that album. My favorite track from that album is "For all my N***** and B***** awesome song with a cool hook and intro.

Quote:
Doggy Style is still one of my most favorite rap albums ever, but admittedly I too can't stand 98% of rap gangstuh or otherwise. And Punk. I'd rather snort powdered glass than listen to another punk album.

Quote:
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #254 of 1,005
this thread is fascinating.. its so funny how nearly every genre of music and musical artist has been covered here.  not suprising, but funny. 

but come on.. dave matthews band!!?! 
tongue_smile.gif

the thing thats funny about DMB is i used to be the type of person who hated them purely on principal..  then i became a musician, and though they are one of those bands who have created more than a few horrible albums, They are all incredibly talented musicians, and a few of their albums, IMHO of course, are pure musical genius and have become staples in my rotation. 

now lets see.. hated.. hated... most of "main stream rap" and what passes for rap just disgusts me.  I love hip hop and rap when its done with skill and talent, but sadly, most  of what is popular is far from it.
"make em say uhhh .. uhhhh. na nah na naaaaah...:"  nuff said.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #255 of 1,005

Great song...I love the W-BALZ DJ, always puts a smile on my face. Funny story about that album- it was the first (and only as I recall) album that my parents actually took away from me as a kid because of its content. lol...must be why it's still dear to my heart today...
Quote:
Great so see some love for that album. My favorite track from that album is "For all my N***** and B***** awesome song with a cool hook and intro.

Quote:
Doggy Style is still one of my most favorite rap albums ever, but admittedly I too can't stand 98% of rap gangstuh or otherwise. And Punk. I'd rather snort powdered glass than listen to another punk album.

Quote:
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back