Who's your least favorite musical artist?
Sep 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #211 of 1,005
Marilyn Monroe
wink.gif
...but only as a musician/singer
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #213 of 1,005
I was listening to my local classic rock FM station a few days a go, and I heard Supertramp's "Logical Song." Roger Hadgson has, without a doubt, the whiniest, most grating voice I have ever heard. I'm not particularly fond of Sting's singing voice, but I can tolerate it, especially considering his other talents as a songwriter and musician. Neil Youn'g voice has some of the same qualities, and I actually like it.

Supertramp makes me want to pull my ears off.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #214 of 1,005
This is the worst possible thread i could have ever come across. I love music but hate top 40 and what MTV tells us is good. Why has anyone ever heard of bright eyes?

DrBenway, find At Vance's cover of Logical song 100x better.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #215 of 1,005
Some random ones: U2, Beastie Boys, Slipknot, Linkin Park, any Emo band, any Christian "rock," Yes.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #218 of 1,005
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Penut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
punk must be viewed as more than just music; it is akin to sizing an iceberg with what you can on the surface alone. step fully into the water, then judge
wink.gif

I agree that punk is a lot more than music; much like hip-hop, it's a culture, an ethos, and a world view. But I don't think it "must" be viewed on that scale.

Simply as music, early punk turned rock music on its head. At the same time, it returned rock to the musical values that had spawned it 25 years earlier.

I already loved rock music by the time I first heard the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, but for the first time I felt that I was listening to music that could only have come from my generation (I turned 17 in 1977). Oh, and pun intended, BTW.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #219 of 1,005
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why has anyone ever heard of bright eyes?

<emo kid voice>Because he's this generation's Bob Dylan and his lyrics and music speak to us on so many different levels</emo kid voice>

<person with taste in music voice>He cries into the microphone and calls it music.</person with taste in music voice>

Oh, and if you can't tell, I despise Bright Eyes.

Oh yes, I almost forgot: I may be in the minority of the "intellectual" crowd, but I hate Joanna Newsome with a passion. Her music might sound good as poetry and as instrumental harp music, but her voice is like a cat in a blender.

Sep 23, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #220 of 1,005
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't get worse than this:

417K1DE738L._AA240_.jpg

I have the two CD's he released. The backup band is killer, especially the horns. The music is fun and he's a great harmonica player. Just my opinion. You certainly have a right to yours.
eggosmile.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #221 of 1,005
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um. That is a Kiss avatar right?

I actually did LOL.
icon10.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #222 of 1,005
Every time a Jeff Buckley or a Michael Hedges dies, I think the same thought: "And yet Brian Adams is still alive."

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #224 of 1,005
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the two CD's he released. The backup band is killer, especially the horns. The music is fun and he's a great harmonica player. Just my opinion. You certainly have a right to yours.
eggosmile.gif

I remember when his first CD came out. Jimmy Gutterman, reviewing it in Rolling Stone, hit the nail on the head; he dismissed it for what it was: a celebrity vanity project. C'mon! This thread is supposed to be about musical artists. I'll slam Michael Boltin all day, but I can't deny that he is at least a competent musician. Bruce Willis? Actor. I could have posted William Shatner here, but everyone knows that he isn't a musician.

P.S. Just want to reiterate what you said. This is just my opinion. We are all friends here...friends with a monkey, errr, headphones on our backs...errr, ears...

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #225 of 1,005
I've never understood why we need to put people in one category. Why can't he be a musician and an actor? Certainly he wouldn't be the first. He may not be a great vocalist, but he is a great harmonica player.

Just my opinion, again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back