Who's your favorite philosopher(s)?
Mar 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #466 of 483
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be that "Life Sucks" carries as much Phil O. Sophical weight as a thick tome published by some university press. Or, what's the philosophical equivalent of "$hit Happens"? I might have a go at expressing it in philosophical language, but I haven't finished my coffee yet. Most everything has to wait for coffee, even Phil O. Sophy...
wink.gif

Laz

It definitely does - the first Noble Truth of the Buddha!

Four Noble Truths:

1. Life sucks
2. Get used to it
3. Get over it
4. Get with it

beyersmile.png
L3000.gif
tongue_smile.gif
devil_face.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #468 of 483
Life does suck, but not forever, and there are good lessons along the way.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #470 of 483
Life is Hell, punctuated by Heavenly moments.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #471 of 483
David Foster Wallace:

"There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says "Morning, boys. How's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes "What the hell is water?"

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #472 of 483
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Judges are not like pigs, hunting for truffles buried in briefs." - Richard Posner

That reminds me of an awesome quote, but I forget who said it:

The poor have access to the courts in the same sense that Christians had access to the lions.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #473 of 483
I wonder how much we are affected by this....

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[size=x-small][1][/size] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[size=x-small][2][/size]
The Dunning–Kruger effect was put forward by Justin Kruger and David Dunning. Similar notions have been expressed – albeit less scientifically – for some time. Dunning and Kruger themselves quote Charles Darwin ("Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge")[size=x-small][3][/size] and Bertrand Russell ("One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."[size=x-small][4][/size][size=x-small][5][/size]). W.B. Yeats put it concisely thus: "The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity." The Dunning–Kruger effect is not, however, concerned narrowly with high-order cognitive skills (much less their application in the political realm during a particular era, which is what Russell was talking about.[size=x-small][6][/size]) Nor is it specifically limited to the observation that ignorance of a topic is conducive to overconfident assertions about it, which is what Darwin was saying.[size=x-small][7][/size] Indeed, Dunning et al. cite a study saying that 94% of college professors rank their work as "above average" (relative to their peers), to underscore that the highly intelligent and informed are hardly exempt.[size=x-small][4][/size] Rather, the effect is about paradoxical defects in perception of skill, in oneself and others, regardless of the particular skill and its intellectual demands, whether it is chess, playing golf[size=x-small][8][/size] or driving a car.[size=x-small][4][/size] 

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #474 of 483
Re: Dunning–Kruger effect

Since my teens I've been trying to understand the Universe.  The more I learn, the more questions arise and the less certain I become about what I think I know.  That's not to say that I'm ignorant or that I'm not careful with my epistemic habits.  From my perspective, people with a great deal of certainty, particularly ideological certainty, are definitely a curiosity (which leads to a discussion about topics which are not on the menu here...).   

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #475 of 483
A case of a finite mind trying to understand the infinite?
The more you learn, the more questions there are.....

And this is without secular science which expects me to provide proof for my beliefs with either empirical evidence or falsifiability - and expect me to believe secular science which cannot provide me with the same....

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #476 of 483

Quote:
A case of a finite mind trying to understand the infinite?
The more you learn, the more questions there are.....

And this is without secular science which expects me to provide proof for my beliefs with either empirical evidence or falsifiability - and expect me to believe secular science which cannot provide me with the same....

Science does provide a mountain of evidence for its various propositions.  However, the search for truth has no end and some questions remain presently unanswerable.  Humility suggests that a rational mind will accept that epistemic limitations exist, regardless of one's desire for certain knowledge.  Recognition of the finite nature of our knowledge gathering abilities is one step toward accepting reality as it is.  Speculation in areas where no knowledge is possible is a fool's gambit. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #477 of 483
And that is why it's very reasonable to accept that just because one cannot explain something, they should not accept another's explanation as true.

Why is it that the ones who know much are so unsure of everything and the ones who know little are firm in their beliefs.  One of my favorite ideas by far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #478 of 483

Quote:
What does it all mean?
I mean, I'm not mean when it comes to meaning well.
Does philosophy really have any meaning except in the mind of the philosopher?
Can a philosophical viewpoint be transmitted by words accurately enough to another philosopher so as to make that second philosopher fully understand your point of view?
Or is close enough good enough?
Do we colour what we hear/read with our loads of philosophical baggage to the point of negating any real understanding of another's point of view.
As an intuitive and disenfranchised and aggrieved person once said to someone who had loads of sympathy for him, but very little empathy:-
To get where I'm going to you have to be where I've been, you see where I'm at?
Does this make philosophical sense?

I hope not!

This happens to be my viewpoint on philosophy.

Also, I realize this post is old. It doesn't matter.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #480 of 483

Quote:
Why is it that the ones who know much are so unsure of everything and the ones who know little are firm in their beliefs.

That's not entirely true.

As you know more, this opens greater vistas of explorable knowledge which raises more questions.

The sum is you know more certainties than before, but there is more that you are not sure of that you didn't know existed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back