Whos waiting for the ibasso d1.?
Oct 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #181 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, now that that's over, I received my tracking number too, although it looks nothing like a proper UPS tracking number. The e-mail I got says it's shipped but nothing's showing up for the tracking number. I'll check again Monday and see what happens. Hopefully I can get it before the end of next week.

By the way, do you think the D1 can drive 600 ohm Beyers?

There are two kinds of UPS tracking numbers, the traditional 1Z number and the 'reference number' style which is used a lot by international shippers like iBasso. The 1Z style is a bit more user friendly because it is better supported by the UPS site. However once the reference number gets into the UPS system (24-48 hours) it works fine as a tracking number if you put it in to the UPS home page. If it isn't in the system then you won't get any information.

My experience has been that once the number gets into the UPS system things move pretty quickly. Maybe 48 hours to delivery.

I use one of my D1's to drive a pair of 250 ohm Beyers with an optical feed into the D1. It works ok for that, the volume knob is at 12 o'clock. I am guessing but I think 600 ohm will work under those conditions. You might have some difficulty with a 600 ohm Beyer if you are using the analog input. From what I have seen the gain is not as large under those circumstances.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #182 of 204
How are you guys listening to them at 12 o'clock...? I can't even go past 9 with my HD-650...

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #183 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two kinds of UPS tracking numbers, the traditional 1Z number and the 'reference number' style which is used a lot by international shippers like iBasso. The 1Z style is a bit more user friendly because it is better supported by the UPS site. However once the reference number gets into the UPS system (24-48 hours) it works fine as a tracking number if you put it in to the UPS home page. If it isn't in the system then you won't get any information.

My experience has been that once the number gets into the UPS system things move pretty quickly. Maybe 48 hours to delivery.

I use one of my D1's to drive a pair of 250 ohm Beyers with an optical feed into the D1. It works ok for that, the volume knob is at 12 o'clock. I am guessing but I think 600 ohm will work under those conditions. You might have some difficulty with a 600 ohm Beyer if you are using the analog input. From what I have seen the gain is not as large under those circumstances.

Re: UPS numbers - here is a link that peeps can insert your "M" number into at the end, and see the tracking result quicker than 48 hours. I've included an M number that isn't mine, just to show you how it works.

http://iship.com/track/trk.asp?t=MMF8GZUV43KSH

Re: Volume - if we use the DAC as the input, the volume out to the headphones will be greater than if we use analog input. But, here IS an opamp combination that HiFlight posted in the Jamato8 thread, where the gain and output can be higher via the analog input - it will even match the DAC's higher volume out. It may have included the AD746, not sure. I'd have to search myself.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #184 of 204
I'm planning to use the SPDIF coax out of my X-Fi breaker bay. That way I can get the best of both worlds: the DAC + amp audio quality of the iBasso, and the EAX effects for games from the X-Fi.

The iship.com tracking service doesn't work for me, it says service unavailable. I'll try again later, but I'm pretty sure it'll arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday if it shipped out already. I live in Hawaii and Shenzhen (where the iBasso's shipping from) is right next to Hong Kong.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #185 of 204
Just got the iBasso! It has a blue LED for power and the coaxial in is plugged rather than the trap door style. Also, the op amp and DAC were 'glued down' with a white paste, but a needle easily removed it (it came off like caulk). If you're using a brown dog adapter for the DAC, it's right in the middle of 2 rectangular yellow capacitors. The iBasso adapter has long legs that allow it to sit above the capacitors, but the brown dog one will not. All you have to do though is bend each capacitor slightly to the side and then it should fit in quite snugly.

One more thing, I know it's called a portable amp, but this thing is frickin' huge. It barely fits into one of my jean pockets, and I wear loose jeans. Also, the leather jacket around it is kind of crappy, where the velcro comes together, it juts out and looks pretty cheap. Fortunately, the iBasso itself has a nice machined look.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #187 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning to use the SPDIF coax out of my X-Fi breaker bay. That way I can get the best of both worlds: the DAC + amp audio quality of the iBasso, and the EAX effects for games from the X-Fi.

I heard that the SPDIF doesn't change the sound from straight out of USB. But I could be wrong.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #188 of 204
EAX is a positioning effect used by games and it's pre-processed before it hits the DAC. I'm not sure what you mean by the USB part though, although I've decided to use the optical out instead since the cable's shorter. Same difference though, since it's all digital.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #190 of 204
Unbiased,

Come back.

We haven't seen you in 3 days and I said I was sorry...
redface.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #191 of 204
For anyone else waiting for the new D1, I just got an email back from iBasso saying that the new 'version' will be out next weekend so it should be here the 3rd or 4th I guess. I know I'll be ordering one as soon as they list it.

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #192 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unbiased,

Come back.

We haven't seen you in 3 days and I said I was sorry...
redface.gif

I have been busy off on other things and did not have time to post... I also just received my iBasso D1 yesterday and have been playing it, burning it, so I was waiting to give my assessment of it. I also received before the iBasso D1 my other DAC/amp the model ZERO 24/192 and was tinkering around with that too. Initial reaction to the iBasso D1 sound straight out of the box was that it was a bit on the bright and harsh side for my tastes. I opened it up to try out some of the op amps I had handy. I hear the sound change from the stock setups but most of them all seem to have a bright edge to the sound. I did not try all of my op amp variations yet as I need time to solder the SOIC8 style chips to the Brown Dog adapters still.

Of the op amps I did try, I wound for now leavin in the OPA627 (x2) for the DAC amp, an OPA2134PA for the LR amp, and two OPA2111's for the two buffer sockets. It tamed the harsh edge or peak in the upper midrange or highs that I kept hearing and was knawing at me. I have more op amps ordered and coming too. So the fun begins
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, build quality seems to be solid and very good. But I find some weak spots that are not good. The external power supply causes audible hum in the audio. The hum changes loudness with the position of the volume control.
The hum seems to come and go with the movement of the power plug.

The power plug does not seem to have a solid tight fit to the power jack and the slightest movement of the unit or the power plug/cord causes the unit to blank out as it seems to reset due to the intermittent power surges on/off contact. I wonder if this is what the other D1 owners are experiencing when they say that the D1 cuts off and on when they move it?

Also, the optical input receiver is not as sensitive to the optical light feed as my other DAC/amp inputs. I used an optical line splitter to feed one source (my Sangean HDT-1x HD Radio tuner). The splitter allows you to share the optical digital output from one source split to feed two other input devices.
When the signal is split of course, there is some loss of light intensity. Well the iBasso D1 will not play with the lowered split optical signal. However my other Zero 24/192 DAC/amp picks it up and plays no problem. So I found that the D1 optical input sensitivity is quite low (or else I have a weak optical sensor in it). I wanted to split the feed to both DACs for A/B comparisons without delay having to have to swap input cables manually and lose my aural memory of the sounds. Oh well.

The D1 is still playing and I am listening to it with my op amp configuration at this time. Sounds very good with these op amps (listed above) but I am looking forward to trying out more combinations when I can. BTW, for anyone interested, that Zero 24/192 DAC/amp I bought off of ebay turned out to be a fantastic deal! It sounds great after a few hours burn-in. I hope the D1 gets much better after burnin. So of the two DAC/amps that I have I would rate them like this at this time:

1) Zero 24/192 DAC/amp
2) Ibasso D1 modded with my op amp choices above.
3) Ibasso D1 stock.

These of course are my early preliminary impressions of the only two DAC/amps that I have at this time. The ZERO 24/192 is a home unit, the D1 of course is a portable but can run from it's AC power supply too. I believe it can be improved by using a better power supply (to reduce the hum/noise).

Ahem, almost forgot, my unit came with the green LED on the back also. It is not bad. Also not sure if my D1 came with the usual stocl DAC op amp... my DAC op amp has odd markings. I think it says LT719 6234 on the op amp, the other op amps were as others have said, AD823 and two NE5532P op amps. I wonder...

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #193 of 204
Stock the D1 is a bit bright. I think that's why it synergized with my E500 and stock HD600 so well at the time. There was a big change by 70 hours and the caps and stuff need burn in too, not just the opamps. My D1 took 350 hours to fully burn in, and I posted about 5-7 updates in the other thread, if you search for my posts in that thread I think they will help you know what to expect over time.

Since I started with mine before all the opamp rolling was being sorted out, I burned it in with the stock opamps - the brightness/harshness really improves, but doesn't totally go away till you swap out the stock opamps.

However, the AD6234 (see other thread) is a good DAC opamp, and you'd do well to keep it there. HiFlight says it will be a little bright if you put the AD6234 in the LR. If you think it is still too bright in the DAC a 6643 will smooth it out.

The LR and buffers need most of the work since you got a good DAC chip. Using a 6643 or the 49720 as buffers will smooth out the sound, and then your spare OPA2111 can be used in the LR. If that is still too harsh/bright, a 6241HV with 6643 as buffers will give a nice "tube sound".

I have all these to try as soon as I am feeling better, then I'll dig into my D1 again. I haven't been well the past 2 months, and it's taking me longer to get the energy to get up and do anything.

I'd really like to keep the opamp rolling stuff to the other thread, but all of this is already in the other thread - I just memorized it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back