Who's The Greatest NHL Player Of All Time: Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky..?
May 12, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #31 of 54
As for the best ever, I have to cast my ballot for Bobby Orr. He literally changed the way hockey was played. No knock on Wayne, who was incredible, or Gordie, or the Rocket or anyone else, but Bobby Orr was in a different class.

JC

May 12, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #32 of 54
Bossy for me. 9 consecutive 50 goal seasons goals. Too bad he only played for 10 years.

May 12, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the best ever, I have to cast my ballot for Bobby Orr. He literally changed the way hockey was played. No knock on Wayne, who was incredible, or Gordie, or the Rocket or anyone else, but Bobby Orr was in a different class.

JC

As we see our opinions differ, but Bobby Orr is a winner on some lists.

Here is from the NHL site: Jean Beliveau

"There never was and never will be another hockey player like Jean Beliveau.
The 31 years since his retirement have proven that. .
"

Note that this is from the official NHL site!!!

See you on the Jean Beliveau's Side of the Moon

blink.gif

May 12, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But for me, Bobby Orr is it. He had speed, strength, a great shot, and was an all-around player. Defense and offense, he had it. You wanted to fight? He could battle with most anyone. I don't know of any other player who could do it all so well....

Agreed...he was, IMHO, the only player who truly revolutionized how the game was played at his position.

I like and respect Wayne Gretsky as a player. Having said that, as good as he was he was "only" a high-scoring forward. Granted, it was higher than those who preceeded him...but it wasn't all that revolutionary per se.

Bobby Orr, however, changed how the game was played from his position.

In 1970, he did something that no other defensemen had done before, or since - won the Norris Trophy (top defenseman) AND the Art Ross Trophy (led the league in scoring). Remember that he was a DEFENSEMAN - and damn good one too - who led the league in scoring. Oh, and he also won the Hart Trophy (regular season MVP) and Conn Smythe Trophy (playoff MVP) in that season too. That's the grand slam of hockey awards...by a defenseman.

He won 8 straight Norris Trophies, starting in 1968 (his second season in the NHL), was a Hart Trophy winner 3 times, won 2 Conn Smythe Trophies...remarkable. It's a pity that his career was cut short by injury. Had he played today, in an era where knee surgery is so much more advanced, IMHO there would be no question about who was the greatest player of all time.

Oh, and here's another little tidbit - There are only 3 players in the history of the league who have scored more points a game than Bobby Orr: Wayne Gretsky, Mario Lemieux, and Mike Bossy. Remember...he's a DEFENSEMAN!! Remarkable...

I must say that I'm surprised to see that Gordie Howe has only 3 votes. He was, without a doubt, THE man in hockey for a long time. Remember that they only had 6 teams back then too.

BTW - I once heard Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, and Wayne Gretsky refered to as the father, son, and holy ghost of hockey. Interesting...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and he's also responsible for what is IMHO the single greatest photo of a sporting event:

170px-Orr.jpg

May 12, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
Bobby Orr, however, changed how the game was played from his position.

In 1970, he did something that no other defensemen had done before, or since - won the Norris Trophy (top defenseman) AND the Art Ross Trophy (led the league in scoring). Remember that he was a DEFENSEMAN - and damn good one too - who led the league in scoring. Oh, and he also won the Hart Trophy (regular season MVP) and Conn Smythe Trophy (playoff MVP) in that season too. That's the grand slam of hockey awards...by a defenseman.

He won 8 straight Norris Trophies, starting in 1968 (his second season in the NHL), was a Hart Trophy winner 3 times, won 2 Conn Smythe Trophies...remarkable. It's a pity that his career was cut short by injury. Had he played today, in an era where knee surgery is so much more advanced, IMHO there would be no question about who was the greatest player of all time.

Oh, and here's another little tidbit - There are only 3 players in the history of the league who have scored more points a game than Bobby Orr: Wayne Gretsky, Mario Lemieux, and Mike Bossy. Remember...he's a DEFENSEMAN!! Remarkable...

I must say that I'm surprised to see that Gordie Howe has only 3 votes. He was, without a doubt, THE man in hockey for a long time. Remember that they only had 6 teams back then too.

BTW - I once heard Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, and Wayne Gretsky refered to as the father, son, and holy ghost of hockey. Interesting...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and he's also responsible for what is IMHO the single greatest photo of a sporting event:

170px-Orr.jpg

Man, that was F-ing eloquent!!! Thanks for that, from an "old man" fan - I was 7 when my dad let me stay up and watch the Bruins win the cup in 1972.

There is a tape, Best of Bobby Orr, in which some of the greats of old time pay homage to him. It's amazing to hear them talk, and amazing to see the video clips...that famous goal and mid-air jump gives me chills every time I see it!

May 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Man, that was F-ing eloquent!!! Thanks for that, from an "old man" fan - I was 7 when my dad let me stay up and watch the Bruins win the cup in 1972.

There is a tape, Best of Bobby Orr, in which some of the greats of old time pay homage to him. It's amazing to hear them talk, and amazing to see the video clips...that famous goal and mid-air jump gives me chills every time I see it!

I was a 10th grader in the St. Louis area when Plager tripped him after being beaten. What a heart breaker.
plainface.gif
That was the last time the Blues played for the cup. 35 years(and counting). This after going to the finals each of the first 4 years of existance.

Bobby had the same issue Mario had, health. So does the Rocket, Gordie and Gretz not get credit for longivity?

May 13, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #41 of 54
wayne gretzky.

May 13, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IS SOMEONE GONNA FIX MAURICE RICHARD'S NAME OR WHAT?!?!

Thanks! I did it.
When I was changing and updating this list many times I typed Richmond
for no apparent reason.
In the final version I did have written in capital letters RICHARD,
but again I did type Richmond in the poll version.
I have no access to the Poll. I guess that only Administrators can do this.

biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Yeah, he was phenomenal!!!
I've also seen some NHL video when they showed Bobby Orr in action.
When Bobby skated to the side of the rink after scoring a goal
(perhaps this famous goal, I don't remember) the fans were kissing him!!!
He was then 22 years old. The commentator called him "Kid".

I've also read that Bobby Orr was outsdanding when he payed in offence
but phenomenal when he played in defence.
(This must have been at the very beginning of his hockey career)
Note the two words: outstanding and phenomenal!!!

And they (the coach) put him in defence because he was phenomenal in there
instead of offence when he was merely outstanding!!! Ha, ha, ...
This is incredible just to read about this!

After reading all this I put him in the first place in the title of this thread before
Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky!

By the way his goal (mentioned above) is the most famous goal in the NHL history
as they commented on a DVD.

pix_thegoal.jpg

blink.gif

May 15, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #45 of 54
A few weeks ago I came across a book
"The Game I'll Never Forget. 100 Hockey Stars' Stories"
There is no Lemieux or Gretzky in this book.
Here is what Bobby Orr himself says about a game he'll never forget:

May 10, 1970 (So it was 37 years and 5 days ago)
This was the game when he scored the famous goal mentioned above
in OT of the Stanley Cup Finals.

"... I got off a shot just as a defensman tripped me up with his stick.
I was flying through the air - I thought I was going to leave the rink -
when the puck hit behind Hall in the cage.
We'd won the Stanley Cup."

1572435704.jpg

blink.gif

P.S.
Note that the text in the picture says " ... the Most Famous Shot in Stanley Cup History"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back