Who's The Greatest NHL Player Of All Time: Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky..?
May 10, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #17 of 54
For me, it's Wayne Gretzky without a doubt. He was a great ambassador for the game. Gretzky had all the numbers, and was a great leader for his team. Perhaps Crosby can make a run at this list?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really couldn't resist. Wade Belak is easily the most underrated player in professional hockey. That he remains a 4th (or 5th) liner is a tragedy of epic proportions.
icon10.gif

He does have a great sense of humour when it comes to his skills though. TSN did a 15 minute mock-tribute to Belak, claiming he was finally getting his due as a first-liner. Belak himself contributed to some of the funniest self-depricating madness ever seen in the history of professional sports journalism.

If you can give credit where it's due, it's that Wade Belak knows he sucks crap.

Why Wade Belak diserves to be on the first line

Wade Belak closing in on a Leaf Record

May 10, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 54
Wayne Gretzky - by far.

It's like asking who the best ever basketball player is ----

May 10, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 54
By the way, I've read somewhere that:

Losing Bobby Orr was the biggest blow
the NHL has ever suffered

Some say that Bobby Orr was the greatest NHL hockey player!
Of course some say that Mario Lemieux is the greatest.

It's not only about stats. It's about player's vision on ice,
hockey intuition, brilliant moves, speed, power,
and so on ... and so on.

blink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I've read somewhere that:

Losing Bobby Orr was the biggest blow
the NHL has ever suffered

Some say that Bobby Orr was the greatest NHL hockey player!
Of course some say that Mario Lemieux is the greatest.

It's not only about stats. It's about player's vision on ice,
hockey intuition, brilliant moves, speed, power,
and so on ... and so on.

blink.gif

The debate may rage on but look at the poll results ha ha.

May 10, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #22 of 54
When one person's stats are so ridiculously higher than everyone else's, it makes the answer pretty clear. Of course, Orr was a defenseman, which makes the comparison a bit unfair. Really, you should only be saying who was the best forward, defenseman, and goalie, respectively.

May 10, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 54
(80-81) I watched Gretz ring up Mike Liut for 5 goals. The last was behind the net on a full speed sweep with a backhand, off Liut's back knee, maybe 5-6 inch gap to the post. Liut was tight to the post otherwise. (That's a weakness of tall goalies, that bend behind the knee) As far as seeing the ice, nobody was better than Gretz. He made the game play to him. He would make a play that would cause the other team to react as he wanted so he could finish the feed to the best available shot. When the team needed him, he could score like only one other....

I seen Mario put up 5 or 6 goals at the all-star game in StL. Individual skills, Mario was the greatest. He had a fast stick and a wing span that would move a puck from fore to backhand about twenty feet. How could a goalie stop that? If not for his health....... (part of the game)

Each has a different game. Gretz was a team general, Mario was a star.

I'll get back with the (all-time) team. I am having a hard time determining value for physical game. Gordie was soo intimidating. Gash Howe deserved his rep. The Jet and his son Bret are hard to decide between. Bobby had grit, Bret has grin. Both could light up the light differently. Bobby was a great team mate, Bret was a prima. with a laser snap shot.

Bobby Orr is the best dman for offense. He played in a small era for physical d.(not that he couldn't play tough) Today's Dmen are in another league for the position. Big, fast, tough. Bobby had a shot maybe equaled by Al Mac Innis or Al Iafrate but Bobby had a better game and wheels than them.

Goalie wise, Patty Roy or Billy Smith.

May 11, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevie Y. He exemplifies all aspects of the game. Offense, defense, leadership, perseverance. You name it, he had it.

x2.

In Detroit, there is only SY, and Gordie Howe.

Props to all others on the list, while they may be better then the above 2, we worship SY & GH here.

May 11, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2.

In Detroit, there is only SY, and Gordie Howe.

Props to all others on the list, while they may be better then the above 2, we worship SY & GH here.

Agreed. I think Joe Sakic will be in the same league as Steve Y once he retires.

I still can't believe the Leafs passed up Joe Sakic for Luke Richardson in their draft year.

May 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 54
IMO, it's difficult to compare the modern players to the older ones who played in the days of the original six teams. Since so much has changed such as number of teams/players, number of games, rules, equipment, etc., etc., you can't really just go by stats. Unfortunately, unless you actually witnessed the older players playing in their era, it's hard not to assume that today's players are better based on their stats. In addition, today's players are pampered (not just in hockey, but all sports ) with better training, medical care, equipment, and transportation. When I was a kid my father used to have a part time job in a butcher shop and Eddie Shack, a popular and well-known Maple Leaf player, used to work there with him as a butcher in the off-season just to make ends meet. This is back in the days when the Leafs were winning Stanley Cups. You can't compare one era's players to the other.

May 11, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, it's difficult to compare the modern players to the older ones who played in the days of the original six teams. Since so much has changed such as number of teams/players, number of games, rules, equipment, etc., etc., you can't really just go by stats. Unfortunately, unless you actually witnessed the older players playing in their era, it's hard not to assume that today's players are better based on their stats. In addition, today's players are pampered (not just in hockey, but all sports ) with better training, medical care, equipment, and transportation. When I was a kid my father used to have a part time job in a butcher shop and Eddie Shack, a popular and well-known Maple Leaf player, used to work there with him as a butcher in the off-season just to make ends meet. This is back in the days when the Leafs were winning Stanley Cups. You can't compare one era's players to the other.

Thanks. Obviously it is very difficult, if not impossible, to compare players from different periods etc.
but there are people who do it.

Here is one sample: List and Another Look

Note the comments after the second view of the same list.

Comments:
Actually, I am a fan of your list. I would only reverse Mario with Bobby.
Others who criticize either do not know the sport or has a favourite.
I have followed each of these players the last 40 years.

Note what the guy says:

'... I have followed each of these players the last 40 years. '

We all could learn from this hockey fan couldn't we?
Anyway, there are many people who like such lists and I belong to this group.

blink.gif

May 12, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevie Y. He exemplifies all aspects of the game. Offense, defense, leadership, perseverance. You name it, he had it.

I agree with everything he said, and I'm from Detroit, Stevie Y is a god here, but hes not close to the best ever. Still, I would rank him at about number 40 in history, which is pretty damned impressive. Out of thousands no less.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back