Who's The Greatest NHL Player Of All Time: Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky..?
May 10, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54
I wonder who is the greatest NHL player of all time?
What do you think?

Important Edit:
I made a mistake. It should be:

Maurice "Rocket" Richard

By the way, this is the NHL Dream Team of All Time
(accepted by almost all hockey experts):

Center: Wayne Gretzky
Left wing: Bobby Hull
Right wing: Gordie Howe
Defensmen: Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey
Goaltender: Patrick Roy

This poll contains names of centers, left and right wingers, defensmen and goaltenders.

Who would be your best center, left winger, right winger, defensmen and a goalie?
Whom would you put in your dream NHL tem of all time?

blink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 54
It's tough to compare "old tyme" hockey players (Old Tyme Hockey....yeah, like Eddie Shore) to more modern players.

It is also hard to compare a goalie to a defenseman to a forward, because of the differences in the style of game they play.

But for me, Bobby Orr is it. He had speed, strength, a great shot, and was an all-around player. Defense and offense, he had it. You wanted to fight? He could battle with most anyone. I don't know of any other player who could do it all so well....

May 10, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 54
Greatest defenceman of all time I would have to say is Tim Horton....dude played into his 40's and was still solid when he got killed. I can't see how you could pick anyone other than Gretzky for offense/

May 10, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 54
Gordie is the man. Played pro hockey in 5 decades. Never needed anyone to back him up, but still was a scoring machine. Back before hockey players had glass jaws.

May 10, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 54
Wayne Gretzky hands down, no questions asked.

Sports are based on your OWN stats, plain and simple. And if those stats, are too close to call, bring in other forms of debate, such as number of Stanley Cups, number of winning teams, etc etc.

but when you debate players, its based on player stats. And when you debate teams, its based on team stats

And because of that, Wayne for the win.
As morbid as this sounds, for what happened to Lemuix, "if you snooze you lose", as far as him not playing enough games to have the stats he should of.

Even still, lets take Mario's first 12 NHL seasons, add all his points up, then divide by 12, to give you 124 points. After his 12th, is when he stopped playing

Then, do the same for Wayne, and you have his first 12 seasons, adding upto 178 points, after you divide them. So, for both players, their PRIME 12 years, Wayne had over 50 MORE points each season. Pretty hard to agrue with that, even when you handi-cap it.

To me, Goridie was great, but when you have to play five generations to still trail behind someon in points, you have lost the "best overall spot" in my eyes. Thats not his fault by any means, I just think playing 5 generations is more of a "health and endurance" feat, like Cal Ripken JR.

May 10, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 54
The great one for me also...hands down. Dude has more assists than anyone else has total points. He's the only player to score more than 200 points in an NHL season, and did it 4 times and he also racked up the awards...
- 10 scoring titles
- 9 MVP awards
- 4 Stanley Cups
- 2 Conn Smythes

May 10, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 54
Gretzky is The great one. And he has the numbers.

If I had to pick one player "in his prime" it would be Mario Lemieux.

When the dust settles where will Sidney Crosby rank with the greats?

May 10, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 54
I'm surprised the Rocket hasn't gotten more votes... perhaps it's his last name?
wink.gif

Had to vote Guy LaFleur. I'm too young to remember him, but from all the highlights and games my dad subjected me to, there has never been a player that could bring the kind of excitement to the game that he did.

Never was a big Gretzky fan, I found him boring. If Lemieux didn't get sick, I believe he would have systematically walked over each and every one of Wayne's records, bar none.

May 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Center: Wade Belak
Left wing: Wade Belak
Right wing: Wade Belak
Defensmen: Wade Belak
Goaltender: Wade Belak

I really couldn't resist. Wade Belak is easily the most underrated player in professional hockey. That he remains a 4th (or 5th) liner is a tragedy of epic proportions.
icon10.gif

He does have a great sense of humour when it comes to his skills though. TSN did a 15 minute mock-tribute to Belak, claiming he was finally getting his due as a first-liner. Belak himself contributed to some of the funniest self-depricating madness ever seen in the history of professional sports journalism.

If you can give credit where it's due, it's that Wade Belak knows he sucks crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back