Who'll be first to try bone induction headphones?!?!?
Jun 28, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm down...

3 more...I'm really curious as to how these sound. I'm sure a lot of it is just gimmick and that it won't sound as good as conventional headphones, but I'm still intrigued...

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 55
This hesitation makes me wonder if anyone has bought these. I've seen them on Audiocubes for a long time and so far no head-fier (the craziest headphone risk-takers in all the land) has bought one! Maybe they've only been popular in Japan, etc, where people will buy such oddities as USB-powered warm gloves.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 55
Are these good for deaf people? Instead of using their eardrums to listen, the sound is transmitted through the skull?

I have a feeling they might be marketed to those groups of people...

If I was deaf, I would definitely be in, but for a pure head-fi experience, Im not so sure.

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$500? Might be worth trying just for kicks if I can manage to sell off the AKGs I don't use.

Please try them!

Ya know... I was mostly thinking this would be kinda gimmicky....

But I *do* remember these handles for lollipops that would, obviously hold lollipops, but they also held a battery and had a button. When you pressed the button, you could hear sound ONLY if you were biting on the sucker!!

It was the neatest thing ever... that was prolly the only "toy" of mine that got a bigger O-face
basshead.gif
than the KSC75 -- EVER.

I bet it's legit... and prolly does work a lot better than IEMs and such.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 55
Evidently people with certain kinds of hearing problems (middle-ear) can still hear bone-induction headphones the same as anybody else, because they bypass that part of the ear and are heard directly in the inner ear. Or something like that-- read it in a post by Tyll in another bone induction thread. So if you go deaf, they might be the only way to still listen to your music. We'd all pay $500 for that, I think.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 55
My wife has been using a bone conducting "earphone" for about a year while she swims, called the SwiMP3 player. The sound is terrible on land, like a transistor radio, but when your head is underwater, the quality is better, although still not great. The water seems to improve the conduction. I wonder if these HiFi earphones are able to overcome that.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 55
There is a particular version of hearing loss called conductive hearing loss whereby the sound vibrations fail to conduct through your ear properly. This might be an issue with wax build up, ear drum damage or damage to the bones of the middle ear. Bone conductance will not be affected by these things whereas normal hearing would be.

For sensorineural hearing loss (neuron damage basically) bone conductors do nothing to improve hearing. Bone conductors are used to diagnose hearing problems as well as in research as two "different" ways to deliver sound to the participant.

This is why however I am doubtful of the claim that these are for the person who likes to listen to their music loud as some way to try and bypass hearing damage. This is a claim made there in the add. However since the damage done by loud sounds tends towards neural damage, I would believe that this technology would pose the same hazard. Despite my looking around however I have yet to find anyone thats used this in an attempt to deafen a chinchilla. However I have yet to see any real evidence that it wont cause hearing damage, and I back my basis with some anatomical knowledge that anyone can find.

My main point is seeing that in their add makes me very hesitant about any claims they make otherwise. Anyone know of any reasearch done btw that does prove these won't damage your hearing? Id love the chance to peruse over the articles if they know of them.

A kind of post note, the chinchillas thing wasn't meant to be a joke, they are useful for hearing studies. Most likely because they closely model the human hearing system.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Please try them!

It depends on if I can build up enough cash in my toy budget by selling some things. I already spent too much lately out of my regular money buying headphones from Germany and France. If I get enough in my toy budget though, I will seriously consider trying them.

Quote:

Uh, wow, Fitz... that's quite a collection of AKGs there. Heh... didn't even notice how many you had. Again, wow!

It is a good start, don't you think?

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #27 of 55
I suspect these are really for persons with non-neural hearing loss. Even though there are 2 earphones I don't think you would get much stereo since the bone conduction from both phones would travel through the skull to the opposite ear.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect these are really for persons with non-neural hearing loss. Even though there are 2 earphones I don't think you would get much stereo since the bone conduction from both phones would travel through the skull to the opposite ear.

Automatic crossfeed. Or the most open sound possible from the furthest possible principal from open. But if the phones cost $500, how much more will it cost us for a chinchilla to test them on?

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if the phones cost $500, how much more will it cost us for a chinchilla to test them on?

Chinchilla-fi?

http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/...mnum=867457036

http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/...mnum=867455031

And when you look at them, how can you not want to strap a headphone at max volume to them. GL to whoever goes in on this, very least it will be an experience and who knows what will happen lol. Bad luck of course to the chinchilla
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back