Whoa - crazy K240 Sextett auction
Oct 12, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #16 of 47
Fitz has already convinced me tonight I want a pair of AKG 240 Sextetts. Damn you Fitz!

What's the difference between the AKG 240 Sextetts and AKG 240 S?

I actually just bought Koss UR-40s on eBay tonight for my girlfriend to replace her dying ones. She's hacking her old ones to pieces trying out some mods she found on here. It's fun to watch.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 47
In Germany you can still get a decent pair of used Sextetts for under 40 euros, and usually there are at least a few of them listed at any given time. So far, they command no premium over any other 240 in that market-- mainly because only a few Germans bother to keep up with this site, I imagine.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all your fault. Now, I can't find a descent pair below $100.
tongue.gif

This is why you must make a detour to ebay.de! I find so many wonderful headphones there for low prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz has already convinced me tonight I want a pair of AKG 240 Sextetts. Damn you Fitz!

What's the difference between the AKG 240 Sextetts and AKG 240 S?

I actually just bought Koss UR-40s on eBay tonight for my girlfriend to replace her dying ones. She's hacking her old ones to pieces trying out some mods she found on here. It's fun to watch.

Well the Sextetts are normally cheaper than the Studio, and according to my tests they sound 103.54 times better. Much more detailed and tuneful bass, smoother midrange, and less sibilant treble. The Sextett uses the older non-varimotion 32mm driver that was used in umpteen AKG headphones, and instead of a vented baffle like most AKGs, it uses six passive radiators in each earcup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Germany you can still get a decent pair of used Sextetts for under 40 euros, and usually there are at least a few of them listed at any given time. So far, they command no premium over any other 240 in that market-- mainly because only a few Germans bother to keep up with this site, I imagine.

But if the seller specifically states international shipping, takes PayPal, and writes a few sentences in English, they'll go for as much as they do here. Often more, once you factor in international shipping. This is why I like the ones where the seller doesn't say anything about shipping outside of DE or EU, and the only English is "NO PAYPAL!" Occasionally some idiot quotes you 40 euros for DHL Päckchen, but usually they are reasonable for shipping.

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if the seller specifically states international shipping, takes PayPal, and writes a few sentences in English, they'll go for as much as they do here. Often more, once you factor in international shipping. This is why I like the ones where the seller doesn't say anything about shipping outside of DE or EU, and the only English is "NO PAYPAL!" Occasionally some idiot quotes you 40 euros for DHL Päckchen, but usually they are reasonable for shipping.

So funny and so true. You're just as likely to get international shipping from a German seller who doesn't mention it as from one who does, and most Germans are able to cough up a quick email in English, if only with the help of their nephew. And anyway, it was the nephew who set them up with an ebay account in the first place. On the shipping issue one could talk to Wualta, who just had a run in like that on a DHL quote a few days ago.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

So funny and so true. You're just as likely to get international shipping from a German seller who doesn't mention it as from one who does, and most Germans are able to cough up a quick email in English, if only with the help of their nephew.

West germans at least.

Buying my HOK was like pulling teeth.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

So funny and so true. You're just as likely to get international shipping from a German seller who doesn't mention it as from one who does, and most Germans are able to cough up a quick email in English, if only with the help of their nephew. And anyway, it was the nephew who set them up with an ebay account in the first place. On the shipping issue one could talk to Wualta, who just had a run in like that on a DHL quote a few days ago.

I've had that experience more with Austrians than Germans, where even if I'm sending messages in German, a day or two later I'll get a response in very good English. As for the people who either try to rip you off on shipping, or just won't ship to the US, unless it's something I really want, I'm just going to leave it alone. If they don't want to make the extra money by having more bidders, then it's their loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good to know German... at least to ask for shipping quote...
tongue.gif

It's also good to be able to communicate with the seller after the shipping quote too. At a minimum I always let them know when I've sent the bank transfer, and that it'll take several days to clear from my bank. Being able to make random conversation is nice too. Most of the sellers I've bought AKG or other studio equipment from are really cool people to talk to, regardless of which country they're located in. It's also gotten me some deals on other stuff the person wanted to get rid of, but wasn't listed on ebay.

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 47
Another one just went for more than it should have. I have a couple pairs I was going to refurbish and sell, but as long as people are just throwing money at the first Sextett auction they see, then I'm going to hold onto them. The last thing I'd want is to sell a pair at a normal price, then have that person turn around and re-sell it at one of these elevated prices.

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another one just went for more than it should have. I have a couple pairs I was going to refurbish and sell, but as long as people are just throwing money at the first Sextett auction they see, then I'm going to hold onto them. The last thing I'd want is to sell a pair at a normal price, then have that person turn around and re-sell it at one of these elevated prices.

ill buy it from you. and in case i wanna resell, i always use head-fi. so the price will never inflate

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 47
yeah, but the demand is very limited.

They felt that the sextett was too expensive to manufacture 30 years ago. Not a freakin chance now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back