Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #302 of 495
I think that Uruguay would've done better replacing a defender and keeping Forlan out. Unless Forlan was injured or something, cause he looked like he was in some pain, but I couldn't tell if it was the pain of losing or not. Hehe. Can't complain with the results still, since I still don't think they deserved to make it past Ghana.

^^ LOL yeah his hair is so bouncy. He scored a goal last game and took off the elastic and his hair was all over the place.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #306 of 495
Well, no matter who wins, I'd just like to see a great, suspenseful game, where Team Spain exhibits the winning qualities that other folks around here seem to expect from them given their personnel and Euro Cup victory. I haven't seen that yet, so to me it feels like it's gonna be a rout for Team Germany. (What fun is that?) It's like yesterday…I'm in it for the Orange because of my wife (I've said it before, she's from Amsterdam), but when the Dutch team got lazy again near the end yesterday, I kept thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if Team Uruguay pulled a rabbit out of a hat again, like they did against Team Ghana?" (Of course, I didn't say that aloud.
wink.gif
) Guess I'm in it for drama as well as masterful play.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #308 of 495
Oh, as much as I like the Dutch team - in fact I have a very soft spot for them since they unfairly lost to West Germany 2-1 in the World Cup final held in West Germany in 1974 and also lost the final against Argentina in Argentina in 1978 - I think they were VERY lucky to not have played against Ghana.

I know that most people in the USA, Canada and other English-speaking countries wish for a Holland - Germany final. The truth is that tonight's game, Spain- Germany, is the real final as both teams are definitely better/ stronger than the Dutch team.

Here's hoping Spain make it through to the final and win the World Cup for the first time ever and join the likes of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, France & England (whose only win in 1966 against the mighty West Germans is disputed to this very day)

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #309 of 495

Quote:
Oh, as much as I like the Dutch team - in fact I have a very soft spot for them since they lost to West Germany 2-1 in the World Cup final held in West Germany in 1974 and also lost the final against Argentina in Argentina in 1978 - I think they were VERY lucky to not have played against Ghana.

I know that most people in the USA, Canada and other English-speaking countries wish for a Holland - Germany final. The truth is that tonight's game, Spain- Germany, is the real final as both teams are definitely better/ stronger than the Dutch team.

Here's hoping Spain make it through to the final and win the World Cup for the first time ever and join the likes of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, France & England (whose only win in 1966 against the mighty West Germans is disputed to this very day)

On paper the Spanish team have the strongest squad left in the tournament, but they haven't been any better than Holland in the World Cup so far and both are way behind the Germans, who'll take some beating.  If the Spanish do decide to start playing tonight, then it should be a cracking match and I think the winner will win the whole thing.

As for the 1966 final, 4 - 2 was the result and even if the ball didn't cross the line, that's still 3 - 2, so that'll do fine for us, since we don't look like winning anything in the near future.
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #310 of 495
Alltough a holland - Germany game would be great. I'd like to see Spain progress to the final.

That way either Holland or Spain will take the cup, two teams that (IMO) deserve to win the world cup at least once.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #311 of 495

Quote:
On paper the Spanish team have the strongest squad left in the tournament, but they haven't been any better than Holland in the World Cup so far and both are way behind the Germans, who'll take some beating.  If the Spanish do decide to start playing tonight, then it should be a cracking match and I think the winner will win the whole thing.

As for the 1966 final, 4 - 2 was the result and even if the ball didn't cross the line, that's still 3 - 2, so that'll do fine for us, since we don't look like winning anything in the near future.
frown.gif

Glad you're an Arsenal fan and not a Chelsea or Man-Utd fan - I'm a Newcastle fan, BTW. However, we (all) know by now that England's 3rd goal was not such and the 4th England goal only came at the very last minute when the Germans were desperate to score an equaliser so circimstances were obviously quite different already (against the Germans), but England were indeed a great team then - no question about that!

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #314 of 495
No, that was a great setup and bound to happen. Spain have been outplaying Germany the entire match. Great passing, informed challenges, and great throughs. Germany may have power, but it comes at the expense of 'feel'. I can't see this ending well for them, no matter how hard I root for them.

And Torres is coming in...

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #315 of 495
It was well executed, it was just so damn fast. It was a great play. That said, the Germans do still have some of the best teamwork I've seen this cup - they truly work together extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back