Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jul 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #286 of 495
In a nutshell, I still believe that Spain are not using him properly and are not putting their faith in him. One may say that they have played him, but look at the tactics employed when playing him. e.g. before Llorente came on for him, he had to play out wide or even when he was in the centre, many times the ball was not passed to him for a quick break. But when Llorente came on, it's route 1 to him. That's what, for the lack of a better word, has disgusted me and led me to switch off the tv after his substitution for Fabregas. (yes, biased I know but it is a tad frustrating)

Prior to these two games, Torres acted as foil for Villa. In the first match (against the Swiss), they had no penetration whatsoever with Villa as the main and only striker. Did they score? Nope. The moment Torres came on, they created chances. The next two qualifying matches, albeit in one Torres missed a bunch of easy chances, Torres acted as foil for Villa.

At the end of the day, I still agree that Torres has been disappointing, but like I said above, they just don't look like they want to use Torres and the only player who has acknowledged Torres' presence in the team is Villa.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #288 of 495
Hectic semi's

A (somewhat lucky) but historic win of the Netherlands over Brazil. After two eliminations (1994, 1998) by Brazil, the dutch finally win and displayed some mental strength which seemed to be lacking in previous tournaments.
A crazy match between Ghana and Uruguay. With Suarez showing his volleyball skills and 'El loco' netting the final penalty 'Panenka' style.
Germany completely destroyed the Argentinians and continue to play attractive Football.
A surprisingly difficult win over Paraguay from Spain.

I don't dare to predict the final. Holland are strong favourites but anything can happen really. The Germany - Spain game will be intersting. Will Spain finally reach their potential? Can Germany keep playing attractive against stronger defences?

ps, go Holland
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #289 of 495
Germany may not have beat the best sides, but their speed and organization looks good enough to give anyone problems.  And Spain isn't the hardest team at the back.  Based on what I've seen of the Germany offense, in terms of movement, intelligent interplay, efficiency and strength, do I think Pique and Puyol are up to it?  No.  I think most people will look at how well Germany moves, how ponderous Spain is, and draw their conclusions.  I backed Spain initially, so I'd be more than happy to see better from them, but it just doesn't look likely.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #290 of 495
Netherlands vs Germany would be the ideal game now. The way Germany is playing is unbelievable, they are very efficient

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #292 of 495
That was an exciting few minutes to end Uruguay v Netherlands, I really believed Uruguay would score again to take it to extra time. Pity they didn't, but it was still a decent game.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #294 of 495
another team got slaughtered by the terrible side referee.
i think Puyol will have a heart attack in the middle of Spain vs Germany because of the incredible speed of the German players which obviously he cant keep up with.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #295 of 495
The Netherlands looked pretty lazy for stretches of the game. The ending was strange…still not sure what that last Von Bommel yellow card was for.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #296 of 495

Quote:
The Netherlands looked pretty lazy for stretches of the game. The ending was strange…still not sure what that last Von Bommel yellow card was for.

lol, altough he plays with the tough German mentality, it's still VAN Bommel
wink_face.gif

The Netherlands have not displayed great football this match, they haven't displayed it during the entire tournament. I Couldn't care less, 'we' are in the finals! Go Holland!

Looking forward to the match tomorrow. The Germans have displayed some great and fresh football while Spain still have the tremendous squad which won the euro's 08. I don't know which way it's gonna go but Holland will have a difficult time against both.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #300 of 495
Kinda feel sorry for van Persie, he's the odd man out.  He wasn't really celebrating with everyone else.  Isn't it funny how the best passer (or the only one who looks to pass the ball) of the front four is the tip of the spear?  I guess Kuyt tries to pass too, but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back