Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jun 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #213 of 495
I wouldn't put it that way. Portugal didn't have "cojones" to play man for man or team for team. 
So spain won with off-side may be, but you know that it seems a team must have more than 11 on the pitch to win, lol

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #214 of 495
Yeah, Spain played very, very well. Congrats. But I still go for Brazil and Argentina - I think they are more technically capable than Spain. Spain has great passing skills and general team play, but not as much technique in individual players IMO, especially when compared with Brazil.

That being said, Spain shouldn't have too many problems beating Paraguay. They will have a really hard time against Brazil or Argentina though IMO. Germany and Netherlands will also be hard to beat if they go through. But good luck to Spain - they are doing better right now than they ever did before I think.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #215 of 495
It wasn´t offside!

Spain had more chances so looking at that it was fair... But oh man how I hate south european football that fall to the ground every time they feel somebody touching them anywhere! The referee did a great job not awarding such behaviour except for the awful red card in the end. Luckily the game was pretty much lost already at that point.

So well Spain is hopefully going out in the next game. Argentina also need to go out they are hardly any better. Germany-Brazil then from what I seen so far would be nice. None of the smaller teams seem to be able to match up. Portugal was the team that offered the hardest resistance as was expected.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #216 of 495
I thought the ref did a great job too; I was expecting a lot of cards to fly.  Spain are not hitting the highs that they did during the Euros, probably because of the formation.  Am I the only one who thinks they play like a featherweight Chelsea, packing the midfield?  With all the talent at their disposal, you think the coach would ease up; Spain should win with more flair and style, and not just count on David Villa to be some sort of Spanish Drogba.  Well, I guess that isn't fair, he does have Torres to work with.  Though they don't make much of a team.  Curious.
The Brazilian and Argentine offensive unit may have more technical ability, (which I don't necessarily agree with) but it is at the rear were Spain has the advantage over those pretenders
tongue.gif
.  I think they are a better balanced side; not leagues better, but a bit better defensively, in terms of quality.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #217 of 495
I think Spain plays like Barcelona. In this match it was rather Portugals tactics that was superior. They really locked Spain so they couldn´t get their ball rolling going. After the goal Portugal had to take more chances and it opened the door to spain. Was like opening a cork.

I hope Llorrentes played well enough to replace Torres now. He definiatly deserved it because he was utter brilliance and did everything right when he got in. Torres hasn´t impressed at all the whole tournament. Seem rusty.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #218 of 495
Expected a lot more from Portugal. They couldn't crack Spain's defense no matter how good their ball handling seemed. The Japan-Paraguay game bored me so much I stopped watching. Didn't know who won, but it didn't surprise me that it ended in a shootout. Those teams were just running up and down the field.

The teams that look strongest to me thus far are Germany, Brazil and the Netherlands, but I'm rooting for Maradona's Argentine aces…and Ghana's young, energetic team as a potential upsetter.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #219 of 495

Quote:
I think Spain plays like Barcelona. In this match it was rather Portugals tactics that was superior. They really locked Spain so they couldn´t get their ball rolling going. After the goal Portugal had to take more chances and it opened the door to spain. Was like opening a cork.

I hope Llorrentes played well enough to replace Torres now. He definiatly deserved it because he was utter brilliance and did everything right when he got in. Torres hasn´t impressed at all the whole tournament. Seem rusty.

agreed. Portugal moved forward every time Spain took a goal kick and didn't give Spain much time on the ball.

Llorrentes played well, but why they didn't play Torres in the middle for this match is utterly beyond me. Llorrentes came in and played in the middle and up front which is exactly what Torres has been doing in the prior matches which he didn't perform. But all the times that Villa has scored, he needed someone up front, e.g. Torres/Llorrentes to act as cover/foil. Without either, Spain look toothless. Just my personal observation.

I am disappointed with the way Torres has played as I am a huge fan of his (so I'm biased), a lot of it I would attribute to poor form, but I also think that tactics wise, Spain to some extent, have not put their full faith in him. I know it can be counter-argued that they continued to play with him despite his lack luster performances, but e.g. last night, he was played out of position (he really didn't take on players well though), and when he did play in the middle, the moment he missed a few, the Spanish players stopped passing him the ball (and he gets taken off way too early) and the only one who acknowledged him was Villa.

Villa as the main striker would not work for Spain, again personal opinion of course
smile_phones.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #220 of 495
No Football today! I don't even remember what I did between 16.00 and 23.30 before the WC
tongue_smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to Netherlands - Brasil and Argentina - Germany. Altough I would like to see the European sides to go to the semi's but I think the South Americans have the better cards.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #221 of 495
Well as you see villa too wide on the left, sometimes it is better for strikers to move out of their position to have more space, I think Torres and villa do it pretty well.
Torres is a bit far from what he can deliver. While villa is confident to go over a defendant, torres tries but trembles a bit.
Well Llorente was looking ENORMOUS last night. It is not easy to send Bruno Alves to the ground.
Portugal with a smarter coach, I believe there would be more goals in the match. But I don't mean portugal would win, just different things.
Here in portugal lots of people are accusing Ronaldo of being too selfish and not influent in the game, but mostly those are who don't understand football. Ronaldo is not this ball wonder like messi, xavi or fabregas. He doesn't set pace in a game. He is a forward that needs a team to support him and to give him balls in good condition like the ones he get in real madrid, or Man Utd. 
Portugal midfield with Meireles, Tiago, pepe and Simão was quite average when compared to spain, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso or even Busquets who manages the ball wonderfully.
Looking that way Spain is stronger and a team which has a mentality and a style proper for the quality and types of players they have.
One thing though is that I don't think they can win the World Cup for one reason: xavi, iniesta physically short, I mean they are not as strong as kaka or ozil or even messi who is not a monster but is much faster.
If they get brasil with melo and Gilberto silva, and probably dani Alves, they will stumble.

Like someone said spain is a bit of chelsea but lacking the monster physical Ballack, Obi mickel, Essien, or even malouda and lampard when compared to Xavi or Iniesta. 
I am sure time will judge me on this. But before that, spain may win easily or get a complicated match against paraguay. Paraguay may defend a bit better than Portugal and with more men.

Sorry for the long text. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back