Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jun 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #181 of 495
Lol what hypothetical argument from my side?  I'm not the one saying that England could have won IF the goal counted.  Germany won and goes on, England goes home...end of argument.  No hypothetical argument there.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #182 of 495

Quote:
Lol what hypothetical argument from my side?  I'm not the one saying that England could have won IF the goal counted.  Germany won and goes on, England goes home...end of argument.  No hypothetical argument there.

read my initial post, I never said England could've won, in theory, I alluded to that, but I also stated that I thought England played like utter rubbish and deserved to lose. Your reaction stemmed from the fact that I called you out on being naive by saying England were not robbed and the scoreline would have been at most 4-2 (which is a hypothetical statement in itself seeing that it never happened), my stand is they were robbed of the goal and that changed the whole game period; and the score would likely not have been 4-2 because like you said you supposedly understood, momentum changes a game. The scoreline could have been anything from Germany thrashing England or Germany marginally winning England or vice versa. I just think you are ignorant to put it out there that the game would not have been different otherwise seeing that you acknowledged a supposed comprehension of momentum.

P.S. I agreed with everything else you said bar 4-2 so chill :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #185 of 495
I'm still worried 'bout Spain. Though Torres has not played well, they seem at their most threatening when he is actually on the pitch acting as foil for Villa. Once Villa is on his own, Spain just don't look the same in attack. So I'm hoping they come good soon :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #187 of 495
For the England no goal, momentum works both ways. England could have been aggressive and played strong after the call, which they did. But they couldn't keep up the pressure. Or, England could have been sad and gave up. The linesman is supposed to be by the last defender. It's not his fault that was 15 yards out when the shot was taken. A call is a call. And also, a re-tied match at half-time would not have worked well for England. They would have nothing to play for.

In the end, Germany played a much stronger game in general, and deserved the win, even though some calls went against England.

Update - Same thing happened in Mexico - Argentina. That was clearly offside, but it would've been a riot if they took away the goal. Bad linesman bad!

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #188 of 495

Quote:
For the England no goal, momentum works both ways. England could have been aggressive and played strong after the call, which they did. But they couldn't keep up the pressure. Or, England could have been sad and gave up. The linesman is supposed to be by the last defender. It's not his fault that was 15 yards out when the shot was taken. A call is a call. And also, a re-tied match at half-time would not have worked well for England. They would have nothing to play for.

In the end, Germany played a much stronger game in general, and deserved the win, even though some calls went against England.

Update - Same thing happened in Mexico - Argentina. That was clearly offside, but it would've been a riot if they took away the goal. Bad linesman bad!

so far, the referees have stolen the show in the world cup
wink_face.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #190 of 495
They are not allowed to use video to change their decision!

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #191 of 495

Quote:
so far, the referees have stolen the show in the world cup
wink_face.gif

This reminds me so much of the 2002 World Cup when it was very controversial the wins of Korea against Italy and Spain. Although with or without the referees help the better teams won today IMO.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #192 of 495

Quote:
This reminds me so much of the 2002 World Cup when it was very controversial the wins of Korea against Italy and Spain. Although with or without the referees help the better teams won today IMO.

I agree to the degree of football that was played over the course of the match, but one couldn't help but wonder what would've happened as the goals were allowed/disallowed at crucial points of the match which made it an issue I guess. It would be less of an issue had Argentina already been ahead by a few goals and dominating as Mexico were playing well right up to the goal. But overall, yup, the better teams won most definitely :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #193 of 495

Quote:
I agree to the degree of football that was played over the course of the match, but one couldn't help but wonder what would've happened as the goals were allowed/disallowed at crucial points of the match which made it an issue I guess. It would be less of an issue had Argentina already been ahead by a few goals and dominating as Mexico were playing well right up to the goal. But overall, yup, the better teams won most definitely :)

Yeah, one can always wonder, although in my mind the result is would have been similar, particularly the Argentina-Mexico. I think Germany would still have won, just 3-2 or something like that.

Also the Germany-Argentina match is going to be extremely interesting due to their very different styles, promises to be very exciting!

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #194 of 495

Quote:
Yeah, one can always wonder, although in my mind the result is would have been similar, particularly the Argentina-Mexico. I think Germany would still have won, just 3-2 or something like that.

Also the Germany-Argentina match is going to be extremely interesting due to their very different styles, promises to be very exciting!

yeah at the end of the day, all this is up in the air and what I really think should be done is to at least introduce some form of video technology that is acceptable to all parties concerned as some decisions, e.g. yesterday, really affect the game.

this year's world cup has looked lack luster and only a few teams have really gone hard since the get go.

I reckon Germany's counter could hurt Argentina as their defence still looks very very shaky; but I'm still secretly hoping for Spain to come good and for Torres to start waking up! lol.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #195 of 495
i must say,although i hate The English team,they were cheated and the match was stolen from them.They were definetly affected psychologically after the cancelled goal.
also why didnt Capillo change Rooney?he played like a retard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back