Who will remember: Queen: No Synths?
Jan 27, 2007 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nelamvr6

Headphoneus Supremus
I guess that listening to some Queen boots made me feel a little nostalgic.

It suddenly occurred to me, just who will remember Queens anti-synth stance? I can stilll remember reading "And nobody played synths" on Queens debut album. Now it seems rather quaint, not a heroic stance against what the band perceived as a legitimate threat to musical integrity.

But I at least remember what at one time was driving this position, what will future generations of CD buyers think? Will they even notice? Will they even bother to listen to Queen CD's in the first place?

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 18
Insane!

You should be put inside. You're a sewer rat decaying in a cesspool of pride. Should be made unemployed. Make yourself null and void. Make me feel good. I feel good.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 18
I still think that for the most part, sythesizers have done more harm than good to the quality of music. At least rock music.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think that for the most part, sythesizers have done more harm than good to the quality of music. At least rock music.

The synthesizer is just another instrument. It's up to the musicians to decide what to do with it.

Why not blame PRS and Mesa Boogie for the descent of radio rock into the abysmal state it's in now? Is it their fault people make crappy nu-metal with their guitars and amps?

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 18
Really... Ive never heard that about them. I'm sure if Freddy Mercury played a synth keyboard thingie it would have been just as artistic and expressive as any of his piano pieces.

Their musicianship, showmanship and artistic abilities, are what attracts fans.... not their gear preferences. Although IMHO, Brians red special is a big part of his unique style.

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 18
I'm going to add further to the opinion part of this thread later (good topic, by the way), but Rage Against the Machine took a similar stance, ensuring their "no-synth" creed was on the liner notes, just like Queen.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really... Ive never heard that about them. I'm sure if Freddy Mercury played a synth keyboard thingie it would have been just as artistic and expressive as any of his piano pieces.

Their musicianship, showmanship and artistic abilities, are what attracts fans.... not their gear preferences. Although IMHO, Brians red special is a big part of his unique style.

Word.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 18
I always thought it was just to make it clear that Brian May was doing all those weird noises with just a guitar.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 18
Actually their first seven albums were "synthesizer free".

Queen started using one with the album "The Game" (a Oberheim OBX by the way), as they even mentioned in the liner notes.

I mean it should be pretty obvious, that they used it heavely afterwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree at least when it comes to The Who....

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 18
I remember reading that they (to begin with) never used synthesizers but I always thought that was because they never believed that the synthesizers were anywhere near as good as the real thing. Of course as they became better they started to use them for some effects and the like.

Personally I think they are just another instrument - if they are used right then they can enhance a piece of music or song but if not then they can help to ruin it. It's all down to how the person/group want to use them.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. I loved them pre and post synth. Didn't matter to me.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Yeah, I was way into them. They were at their best for the first 5 albums or so. After that they became sloppy live and just didn't write great music from then on.
You need to get ahold of the early live concerts from round 73 - 79 to know what i am talking about.
If you are not familiar with Queen you should start from album 1 and work your way through 18 or whatever the # is.
Not including the 15 greatest hits ones. Rolls Eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back