Who wants to sacrafice about $30?
Mar 23, 2010 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Pulse14

100+ Head-Fier
Haha, well the first "decent" headphones I got were a pair of Maxell DHPii (Digital High Performance 2) from a local music store in our mall. They came with a great bag, extension, and 1/4" adapter. But as for the important part, to my "analytical" listening, I cant seem to find a set that matches these in the full spectrum. Ive owned them for about 3 months now. Porta Pros (close in bass, but not controlled), HD 238 (close all around but not as "lively"), HD 280 pro (from a freind, just sounded bad to me?), and a random assortment of IEMs (I hate IEMS) have all fallen, in my opinion, short of these cans. Though my new HD 238s are very nice, they still seem less lively than these phones.

So my question is, anyone want to take the plunge and sacrafice 3 days' lunch money to get some of these and tell me what they think? C'mon, it isnt a pair of HD880s or Ed. 8s or nuthin
smily_headphones1.gif

Linky to google shopping:
maxell dhp-ii - Google Product Search

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 31
You'll save money in the long run by saving up for something a bit better than everything mentioned. $30 headphones probably have drivers that cost less than $10 each to produce. If you're an enthusiast (hang around here long enough and you won't have a choice), it's worth investing in a pair that will be enjoyable for months/years.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah sure, I'll 'sacrafice' some of my money in hopes of making you feel better about your purchase decisions.

Not really. $30 is a decent bottle of whiskey.

LOL!! I like a feller with priorities...
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 31
r u high?

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 31
i have been curious about these. i have tried a maxell hp-1000 and they are bloated and bassy

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 31
These seem to be very good sounding headphones that have very poor build quality. I glanced over at amazon and every review seems to be "sounds great, broke in a week."

Which could explain why they can sell for $30-$50 and sound pretty good.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah sure, I'll 'sacrafice' some of my money in hopes of making you feel better about your purchase decisions.

Not really. $30 is a decent bottle of whiskey.

or rum

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 31
Or rye. I am surprised that you are not satisfied with the Koss PortaPros. I have owned lots of upper mid-fi cans, and I still can't believe that my little PP rocks this hard!
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 31
Not to sound like a snob or anything, but I'd rather spend $30 on high def music.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 31
I'll do it when I get some spare cash. That may be a while because I'm getting married in a week and it's like a money sponge but I'll get a pair eventually. I'm always on the lookout for good phones that are off the radar.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 31
I guess I was misenterpreted (or just plain said it wrong). I meant that I own the phones, I was just wondering if anyone wanted to try them because, to me, they sound great. I was just wondering if I may have discovered a "new" Porta Pro or Marshmallow or RE0 or SR60 or D1001 or V6 (all in the sense of good budget buys).

fjrabon- I cannot complain of any build quality issues.

sampson- And yes, pp's are pretty good, but the mid/high bass is pushed to hard to me.

samson/congruency- I ordered MS1i's (new vrsion) sunday
smily_headphones1.gif

So I know hoping to convince somone to buy something is hard, but I just want to know if I've stumbled unto something, such as a new contender in the low-fi market.

And thanks olimoronio, I don't think youll be dissapointed in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back