Who wants to follow my diet/excercise?
May 26, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 24
I'm fat and need to do something about it. I want to lose fat but gain/maintain my muscle mass, any suggestions? Eat loads and do cardio 24/7? I'm not into the loading/shredding phases, unless that's the only way.

May 26, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I'm fat and need to do something about it. I want to lose fat but gain/maintain my muscle mass, any suggestions? Eat loads and do cardio 24/7? I'm not into the loading/shredding phases, unless that's the only way.

That will most definitely eat away at your muscle mass. Your body operates on a use-it-or-lose-it basis, aerobic exercise is not the best stimulus to keep muscle mass around (look at the build of long-distance runners). To provide proper stimulus, you need to lift weights.

May 26, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
I think daily reports on what a person is eating, how he is exercising, what TV shows he's watching, how many times he takes a dump, etc. are a little over the top for a headphone forum.

Man, that was funny!
biggrin.gif

I do think, however, that it's quite helpful for those who are knowledgable about such matters to talk about how to establish and maintain a proper diet, exercise routine, sleep pattern, etc. For one, it helps those of us who may otherwise be lacking in knowledge or motivation. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it allows those who wish to chat about such things to do so. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Head-Fi as a community is the fact that there are so many people here with different interests than my own, and it's cool when they can share their excitement about whatever excites them (within reason of course).

May 26, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 24
I could make a super long laundry list of tips regarding diet. Here are some to start with:

- Drink at least two full glasses of water every day (8 is usually recommended but it's more important just to get water in your body every day, even if it's not that much).

- Don't eat cheese. Request it out of everything you order, and don't add it to anything you make yourself. It's not that hard to cut cheese out of everything, it just takes some awareness of what has cheese. Don't eat pizza, cheesy pasta sauce, etc. If you like Italian cuisine, don't eat Italian.
tongue.gif
(Will be hard to do but if you're set on losing weight, you have to make some sacrifices!)

- If you eat bread, make sure it is whole wheat with at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.

- Don't eat too much meat (read: pork or beef) too often. Meats contribute to cholesterol and fat. Eat fish or grilled chicken as a substitute.

- Have at least one piece of fruit and one vegetable every day.

Exercise:

- Take the stairs whenever possible, wherever you go.

- Walk everywhere you go as well. If you drive somewhere, park a little further away to get some extra walking distance in.

May 27, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren

could you elaborate on this High Intensity Interval Training? i've done cardio on those cross trainers, burning 1,000 calories in an hour, 3 times a day. i'm no expert on this, so i'm wondering what HIIT is all about. thanks.

I believe HIIT cardio helps increase VO2max (I could be wrong.)

Many people like to do it on a fasted state first thing in the morning with some protein shake but I've tried it felt I lost too much muscle.

5 min warm up
30 sec jog (40%)
30 sec sprint
repeat jogging and sprinting for a 10-15 minutes.

5 min cool down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
I think daily reports on what a person is eating, how he is exercising, what TV shows he's watching, how many times he takes a dump, etc. are a little over the top for a headphone forum.

I guess you're right. This isn't a place for such things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas
Are you counting calories as well? Just curious. Right now the fiance and I are on a 40-40-20 diet to prep for our honeymoon in August.

Anyway, what kind of results have you had in the past with the CKD? I've been considering going to that for the last 4-6 weeks of training to get cut up after this "gaining" phase. Does it generally get you super ripped in a short amount of time?

Bulk: ~3,200 kcal, 40/40/40 (Carbs, Protein, Fats)
Cut (CKD): ~ 2,800 0/40/60

I like CKD more than other carb cycling diets as I feel it's easier for me to take in NO carbs rather than measure how many carbs I need. It's also much more efficient and I'm losing alot of fat while retaining muscle and strength in Lifts.

It's the best way for me to lose weight without using substances yet I wouldn't consider it a miracle diet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I've gotten to 8% BF in the past. It was hell.

I hate you. I'm an endomorph so getting below ~10% is hard for my body and maybe even unhealthy.

Quote:

People often think you need to do an enormous amount of excercise to get the body you want but that's not the case. If you can spare 35 mins X 3 Days a week you can do it. Keep your diet clean and watch yourself lose the fat and retain the muscle mass. If you continue to injest bad calories yet work out ALOT your body will get scared and catabolize the muscle while storing the fat.

Quote:

So no cardio? Just lift weights a lot?

I do cardio 3-4 days a week, 25-30 mins. HIIT style
smily_headphones1.gif

My thought: Alot of people think that they are insomniac while the real case is that they do not have a proper sleeping cycle. I used to go to bed at 10:30 and lay there for 2 hours before sleeping but now as soon as a hit th bed I fall asleep and wake up 5 mins before 5:30 am on the dot without the alarm.

If anyone want to know why I eat grapefruit:
http://www.diet-supplement-review.com/naringin.html

Why Fiberous Carbs a Good!
http://controlledlabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9

Carb Cycling
http://controlledlabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8

May 27, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
I hate you. I'm an endomorph so getting below ~10% is hard for my body and maybe even unhealthy.

I'm an ecto-meso and honestly it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The amount of will-power to maintain the blandest diet of oatmeal, peanut butter, skinless boneless chicken breast, fat free CC, brocolli, fat free jam, etc takes a heavy toll mentally. I logged very calorie I ingested into fitday and it got to the point where I obsessed over every little detail.
Was seeing a defined 6-pack and veins running down my abdomen worth it? I don't know. Honestly it was traumatizing.

May 27, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 24
this is totally the wrong place for this. Anyway, i'm, into discussing it I guess.

I'm mostly into powerlifting type excercises and strength. I'm no 10% body fat, but I'm probablly around 16. I'm more interested in the quality and weight of my lifts before how I look p hysically. One thing most amateurs don't really know is proper form, that's what I spent most of my time this year working on... Doing full squats and not buckling your legs or roudning your back was hard for me to get down. What i'd really like to learn about maybe later this year is how to lift with bands.

edit in:

you eat broccili for breakfest? ew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back