who regrets skipping the journey by going to high end cans first
Apr 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #61 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We keep on buying new headphones even though we should be "done" so there must be something wrong.
biggrin.gif

Are you "done" after you buy one great work of art? Are you done after you buy one great DVD movie? How about after you buy one great set of clothes? I've bought additional headphones after the L3000's, because I was curious, and I've found that different CD's sound better with different headphones and there's not one that does everything the best. Yes, I could easily live contentedly with only the L3000's, but I don't have to.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as the title says, who regrets going for the best headphone and skipping the in between ones. >< I kind of regret going straight to the dt880's from my ksc75's.

First serious can was the 595 then the 650.. Don't regret the jump at all..Just saves you money in the long run..

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #63 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you "done" after you buy one great work of art? Are you done after you buy one great DVD movie? How about after you buy one great set of clothes? I've bought additional headphones after the L3000's, because I was curious, and I've found that different CD's sound better with different headphones and there's not one that does everything the best. Yes, I could easily live contentedly with only the L3000's, but I don't have to.

I could live with only one set of phones, the SR-007, because they are simply better then any other phone I've ever heard by a mile. I buy the other ones as I'm a compulsive collector and as research because I'm designing my own stats' to beat the SR-007.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #64 of 66
I didn't skip very far I think, I started off with some speakers my dad made me for my 486 using ice cream tubs that were awfull. Then I got some cheap pc speakers which were about 1000x better even though they still sucked. Then I got some knackered old Hd430's which were just godlike at the time, over time the hd430's in there already borken slightly state continued to deteriorate until the sound was unacceptable, I think this was due to my ears depositing things on the paper covering the driver as the pads no longer protected it and the cable slowly coming apart (the sound intermittently went off to one phone). Btw if you think the HD650's are hard to drive they are at least twice as effeciant as the old hd430's. I then got some HD-650's as I liked the 430's and thought what the hell I may aswell get the best senhiser offer as I'm just going to lust after them if I don't. At first I wasn't too happy as they clamped my head and the sound seemed kind of muddy at the low end and harsh at the high compared tot he hd430's. After 2weeks of listening though this all cleaned up, I was suddenly a convert to headphone burn in as they had changed so drastically, very suprising. The end result was jaw droping when I went back and tried the 430's, The 650's utterly destroyed them in every aspect (apart from input impedance - the 430's never go below 500ohms :p ). I decided to upgrade my soundcard to a soundblaster over onboard and there was another huge improvement. Unfortunately sound blasters are crap and it refused to work with my new motherboard and I had to switch back to a Hercules card.
At the moment I'm experimenting with amplifiers... as I do have a high quality H-fi Cd player of my dads which I can borrow for testing. The journy is fun and the more you build yourself the more fun
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #65 of 66
I don't see the journey as a linear progression, so I can't say that I exactly skipped it.

EX51 -> E2c -> Sony clip-ons -> KSC-75 -> Portapro -> MDR-V6 -> Marshmallows

I downgrade and upgrade my stuff all the time. It's more of enjoying music through different cans with different sound signatures?! Having a bunch of low end stuff I'm not afraid to trash around is good too.

Minor regrets: EX51, Sony clip-ons

May 1, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #66 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sage words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back