who regrets skipping the journey by going to high end cans first
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #46 of 66
there is no path -- it's just a long journey with no end. oh yeah, the journey is lots of fun!

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #47 of 66
I started with a pair of KSC-35s straight out of a portable DAP. Have tried many, many headphones/amps/source combos since then, and sometimes I think the 35s are still the best. In a way, I started at the top and went downhill in different directions before realizing that I began at the top. Only recently have I found a setup that rivals the Koss phones straight out of a DAP (in terms of pure enjoyment), and it's cost me about $750. Talk about diminishing returns...

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #49 of 66
HD600 -> HD650 -> Sony Qualias -> R10... I regret nothing except selling my HD600. Laterally, er6is for ear buds.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #50 of 66
I certainly don't.
Went straight from Grado SR80 to the Stax SR-007, and have had no regrets what so ever. Since then I have bought five lower ranged Stax phones though, to hear how they compare to the "big brother".

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly don't.
Went straight from Grado SR80 to the Stax SR-007, and have had no regrets what so ever. Since then I have bought five lower ranged Stax phones though, to hear how they compare to the "big brother".

I did the same thing. I had a HD600 and then bought the SR-007 and now I have nearly 30 electrostats so I bet on the right horse. If you know what you want this is the way to go but it can be a very expensive lesson if you don't.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #52 of 66
I had the Sony V6 for about 7 years then found Head-Fi and a few weeks later was the owner of a new pair of R-10's. After three years I needed the money so I sold them for $1000 more than I bought them for. It was like someone paid me $1000 to let me listen to the R-10's for three years! How could you regret that?!

I then went to the Darth Beyers. A year later I added the L3000's. While I've aquired a few more since then, I'd be surprised if I could find something better than the L3000's.

A roller-coaster can be just as fun a journey as slowly climbing a mountain.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #53 of 66
Had my dad's speaker setup, and then went straight to where I am now. I guess I'm spoiled. I can tolerate bad sound, though, and really appreciate what's given me.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #54 of 66
Journey implies linearity perhaps even meandering towards better, no? Thanks to Clarke I received my Ultrasone HFI-2200ULE prize and I've been rapturously listening to them for much of the day in lieu of my beloved K501s but are they better, or better still, just enjoyably different?

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #55 of 66
I have always had the best that I could lay my hands on and I've yet to regret any of those purchases. Now I do tend to mull purchases over in my mind for quite some time before I pull the trigger, but when I haven't been able to hear the device in question, I read as much as I can about it and form a "sonic picture" in my mind's eye and figure out how it will fit into my existing system. Haven't umm... stepped on myself yet.
wink.gif

I also tend to keep what I have for a long time. I originally bought my amp (Hafler 220) 24 years ago and the new power supply and other mods (from Musical Concepts) in it are now coming up on 18 years old, as are the rest of my system :

Mod Squad (McCormack) Line Drive passive preamp and Phono Drive phono stage
ProAc Super Tablette
Entec LFX Sub
Sota Nova Table with Premiere FT-3 arm

I recently updated with the Mu-Fi triple threat (X-DAC v3, X-10 v3 (two), X-CAN v3 and X-PSU), and it's shocking how much life they brought to the system. I always had one crap headphone or another as a kid but the first high quality transducer I ever owned was the Stax Lambda with transformers. They were appallingly bright but I loved them for years. Unfortunately, I sat on them and broke the headband and was so disgusted by the replacement cost that they are still sitting in a box.

Enough rambling. My advice is buy the best you can, have a long and happy relationship, and you won't regret it.
280smile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #57 of 66
As long as you don't fall in to the trap of equating price tag with sound quality, and remain aware of the role that lump of fat between your ears plays in your perception, you'll have little to regret. Oh, and keep in mind it's all about THE MUSIC! Some of my most transcendental recorded material listening experiences were on positively neanderthal equipment.

Kerry M

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #58 of 66
I think you'll regret starting the "journey"...You think oh If I upgrade to "x" and spend $$$ I'll never have to upgrade again...WRONG.. Before you know it you feel like upgrading again and again and again except each time its more expensive or a different expensive headphone or a different amp etc... And then you realize your car speakers could be better and you spend about another grand on car audio..and then you're like "Hey I could use surround sound for my living room"...so then you buy some bose speakers (oh no not bose!) for your living room.. and then you think the journey is over right? NOPE. you feel like getting something new again like a new 100 gb apple player (even though you already have the 80 gb version) and a new 1000 dollar custom made iem...ahh does it ever end?? The answer is no..lol im just playin...
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same thing. I had a HD600 and then bought the SR-007 and now I have nearly 30 electrostats so I bet on the right horse. If you know what you want this is the way to go but it can be a very expensive lesson if you don't.

Sure, making these huge steps can be a very expensive lesson. But luckily it did not turn out that way for any of us!
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, making these huge steps can be a very expensive lesson. But luckily it did not turn out that way for any of us!
icon10.gif

We keep on buying new headphones even though we should be "done" so there must be something wrong.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back