Who plays instruments on Head-Fi?
Jul 25, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #61 of 86
Bah! I just shove the little mouthpiece up or down the cork and we're good! I gave her a little overhaul a while ago and she plays gorgeous (and yes, in tune, hehe). But yep, my days of steppin' out with Cab Calloway (so to speak) are long gone, and if I want to gig out it's most likely solo under the Downtown "N" Train sign on Rector
frown.gif

Yep it's a curved soprano sax, a tiny lil treasure! I love the silver satin finish too, it's a nice smooth patina on her I'd never want to buff away.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #62 of 86
I started off on trumpet, switched to F horn for high school, and picked up trombone for jazz in high school.

Now it's all about the mello for college marching band. I've found that, for me, band is all about the people and the experience, so I doubt I'll play anything after college.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #63 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
I started off on trumpet, switched to F horn for high school, and picked up trombone for jazz in high school.

Now it's all about the mello for college marching band. I've found that, for me, band is all about the people and the experience, so I doubt I'll play anything after college.

Yeah, my last gig was at a fireman's ball, we were all so sad since we knew that would be it for quite a number of us. College was the last gasp for me as well.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Hi bperboy,
My violin is made by Bernard Simon Fendt back in 1830. My parents acquired the instrument a year ago for around $24,000. So yes, it is rather old! It has a wonderful tone. The violin itself is in wonderful condition. It has an attractive golden brown colour and most of the varnish intact. In my opinion, it isn't much of a soloists violin. Although the tone is strong, it isn't tremendously powerful like many other designs. However, it has a very beautiful, rich, warm and rather unique timbre. It is perfect for chamber works (eg. Mozart, Beethoven, Nielsen, Bartok, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn), violin sonatas (eg. Prokofiev, Brahms, Beethoven, Schumann, Strauss, Ysaye), classical period violin concertos (eg. Bach, Mozart) or orchestral playing at a professional level. For solo concertos, especially those of Brahms, Tchaikovsky and Sibelius, I would probably recommend a violin with more brute force. I don't see myself playing any large concerto with an orchestra ever
tongue.gif
, so this violin is perfect for the time being! I would, however, love to own a fine Italian or French violin such as those made by Vuillaume, Lupot, Gagliano, Guadagnini, Amati, or even a Strad or Guarneri!

I was browsing Samuel Shen's violins (thanks for the link!) and the SV1000 model looks very nice indeed! How do they play/sound? I really like the Italian design. It is very different from say, my English violin. Someone I know has a Turin-era Guadagnini (poor man's Strad!) and it sounds wonderful (also costs an awful lot - hundreds of thousands of dollars)! I also have a friend who has a nice Vuillaume and it too sounds out of the world. I don't know why Vuillaume violins are so popular, 'cus my violin teacher has one too! As a matter of fact, most Vuillaume violins look very similar to Italian violins because he was one of the most prominent Strad and Guarneri violin copiers of his time or even ever! They are probably the second most sought-after French violins after Lupot's. They are known as the 'poor-man's Italian violin': the same quality and sound for much less. However, you do have to be richer than poor: They still cost around a hundred to two hundred thousand dollars!

god damn violins are expensive. I would be happy with a 7ft Steinway and it's only 95K...
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #65 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
Took a quick picture of my 5.0 octave marimba, not a great picture, but you get the idea...

oooh, very nice... you a Ruth Underwood fan?

myself, i have a mid-70s Washburn Prairie Song dreadnaught, back when they were still handmade, a Flatiron Cadet mandolin and a Rickenbacker 620.

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

That's great! I don't know the Cleveland Opera well enough, but I trust that your teacher is very good! It is very difficult to become assistant concertmaster of any orchestra nowadays. The competition is very tough indeed. It's also brilliant that you've joined the NOYO. What have you been playing or played, both as a soloist yourself or with the orchestra?

Mostly just the annual recitals, but I have played in the Side-by-side program with the Firelands Symphony Orch. which is youth playing along with the regular orch. Also, I've played for church a lot, and school musicals.

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

I was browsing Samuel Shen's violins (thanks for the link!) and the SV1000 model looks very nice indeed! How do they play/sound? I really like the Italian design. It is very different from say, my English violin. Someone I know has a Turin-era Guadagnini (poor man's Strad!) and it sounds wonderful (also costs an awful lot - hundreds of thousands of dollars)! I also have a friend who has a nice Vuillaume and it too sounds out of the world. I don't know why Vuillaume violins are so popular, 'cus my violin teacher has one too! As a matter of fact, most Vuillaume violins look very similar to Italian violins because he was one of the most prominent Strad and Guarneri violin copiers of his time or even ever! They are probably the second most sought-after French violins after Lupot's. They are known as the 'poor-man's Italian violin': the same quality and sound for much less. However, you do have to be richer than poor: They still cost around a hundred to two hundred thousand dollars!

I'm not real good at describing tones and such, but compared to the last violin I had, it seems a lot mellower, and warmer. I probably could tell the difference very easily between the two, but I'm not real sure where it is! Its pretty easy to get a good tone out of it, but still nothing like what my teacher sounds like!
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #69 of 86
I attempt to play classical guitar and electric guitar. I think i enjoy modifying them more then I actually playing them.

One guitar I shoved together using a body(Fender Strat Deluxe) I bought off of Ebay. I bought the rest of the parts off of Carvin.

The next is an Ibanez Jet King. Which I bought off of Ebay years ago. The pickups were lacking the punch I required. So I purchased Dimarizio PAF Joe and Sonic Drop D. And installed them. Of course me being the intellegent being that I am, I Forgot to copy the wiring diagram before ripping out the inards. And of course the Jet King is the only model that Ibanez doesn't have wiring diagrams available for. Some how i was actually able to get it working, Coil Tapping and all.

Strat..
strat.jpg

The white pickup is a Fender '69 Jimmy Hendrix something something..don't remember. Put it in there for fun. It kind of screws the other pickups though.

Jet King...
jetk2.jpg

http://zerhyn.fileburst.com/pictures/Guitar/jetk1.jpg

As for amplifier. I am selling my only one. Line 6 Spider 212. It was a bit too big for me. Going to try and find something smaller. But also going to look into getting a tube amplifier. Mmmmm.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
Took a quick picture of my 5.0 octave marimba, not a great picture, but you get the idea...

Are you familiar with Doug Demorrow instruments? He was my music theory & percussion professor in college. I believe he now makes professional level marimbas, mallets & other percussion instruments full time. A really nice guy!

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #71 of 86
Eh, yeah, I'm a total band geek. I play at this point:

Bb Clarinet
Bass Clarinet
Alto Sax
Baritone Sax
The King of Instruments (a little)

But yeah, it's awesome. Main instruments are Bb clar and Bari sax, but organ is a recent hobby. Bari sax is awesome, though. I play in a blue band with my friends. Clarinet is just for regular school band. And organ is for church, because we have a II/20 or so Moller that nobody ever uses except me.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05

ha, I have a bach mello that I'm playing on right now while the F. Horn's in the shop. I was in marching band last year, but I can't march in time & play at the same time very well
tongue.gif
I'm the only one at our school who actually uses a trumpet mouthpiece with the mello; everyone else uses F. Horn adaptors. I don't know anything about F. Horn mouthpieces, but I play on a bach 10 for the trumpet. It gives a wonderful tone though it does sacrifice the upper range a bit.

Jul 26, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #73 of 86
In middle school I started off on the trumpet in concert band. In 7th grade I joined the Jazz band and played it through my junior year (we won state state year). I Also played my trumpet in all of my high school years for marching band. In my sophmore year i switched to french horn in concert band and was section leader; I also played in all sorts of windwind quintets and went to all state. The real fun I had though was in pep band. We had some real talent there and all of us music theory students would arange the craziest stuff. I usually played my french horn to be silly; but also picked up flute, clarrinet, contrabass clarinet, and tenor sax. Simply put I was a pretty hard core band nerd.

The only one of those that i actually own is my trusty trumpet. I get it out when i can. It was an 1951 Olds Ambassador. The lacquer was in horrible shape so i had that removed at some point. I love how dark it plays now. All the snobby kids with their brand new Bachs were so jellous.

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by sagekoala
In middle school I started off on the trumpet in concert band. In 7th grade I joined the Jazz band and played it through my junior year (we won state state year). I Also played my trumpet in all of my high school years for marching band. In my sophmore year i switched to french horn in concert band and was section leader; I also played in all sorts of windwind quintets and went to all state. The real fun I had though was in pep band. We had some real talent there and all of us music theory students would arange the craziest stuff. I usually played my french horn to be silly; but also picked up flute, clarrinet, contrabass clarinet, and tenor sax. Simply put I was a pretty hard core band nerd.

The only one of those that i actually own is my trusty trumpet. I get it out when i can. It was an 1951 Olds Ambassador. The lacquer was in horrible shape so i had that removed at some point. I love how dark it plays now. All the snobby kids with their brand new Bachs were so jellous.

The ambassador was a great student horn imo. I played on one before I got the super recording
smily_headphones1.gif
There's some company that I forgot the name of that uses ambassador valve sections in their professional trumpets.

IM003838.jpg

(I bought the horn bent. Yes, I did have it straightened. It was the only thing wrong with it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back