Who plays instruments on Head-Fi?
Jul 24, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #31 of 86
Jul 24, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #33 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I'm a band director and my instrument is trumpet. I play a Bach 37 Bb, 229 C with a 25H lead pipe, and an MF301 Holton. The Bach are late 70s and the MF Horn is early 70s. I'd love to get a Mount Vernon Bach Strad, but they don't give them away.
I was just wondering how you liked the Kanstul. They've come on since I was out and about trying horns, but everything I read about them they're great.

Do you guys like your Bach's? My friend has a '70's Strad that plays pretty well, but quite honestly, my other friend's Conn Vintage One played better IMO. My Super Recording sounded GREAT for orchestra, but I feel it was too bright for wind ensemble. The Vintage One has modular valve weights and two different tuning slides so that it's able to go from smooth & dark to energetic and bright. I'd have to say that of the horns I've played, the Vintage One was my favorite for wind ensemble, followed by the Conn 52b, followed by my trumpet, followed by the multiple Strad's I've played. For orchestra, I liked my trumpet the most, followed by the V1, 52b, then the Strads and for Jazz, I really like the Strads, followed by V1, followed by my trumpet, followed by the 52b. I haven't played a Mount Vernon Strad, so I'll reserve judgement on that horn. My Marching Band line basically consists of my beat-to-hell Selmer. The valve's weren't smooth when I got it (student model), so I hand lapped them. They are sweet now
smily_headphones1.gif
I must admit, for being a student horn, it has a nice dark tone; it just doesn't play in tune.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 86
I'm in high school currently, and I currently play the violin (11 years). In the past, I have taken piano (couple of years) and also played in the middle school band (trumpet and french horn). The only instrument I regularly play is violin, which I am pretty proficient and a bit more than that.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Yup! Violin for 13 years (AssociateTCL). Piano for 2 years (ABRSM Grade 6).

gear800x6004bt.jpg

violin4fa.jpg

Ah, fellow violinist! Is that an inherited violin? It looks rather old... but maybe I'm mistaken. I have a Samuel Shen SV1000 (have to browse thru menus), and I'll try to post pics sometime!

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy
Ah, fellow violinist! Is that an inherited violin? It looks rather old... but maybe I'm mistaken. I have a Samuel Shen SV1000 (have to browse thru menus), and I'll try to post pics sometime!

Hi bperboy,
My violin is made by Bernard Simon Fendt back in 1830. My parents acquired the instrument a year ago for around $24,000. So yes, it is rather old! It has a wonderful tone. The violin itself is in wonderful condition. It has an attractive golden brown colour and most of the varnish intact. In my opinion, it isn't much of a soloists violin. Although the tone is strong, it isn't tremendously powerful like many other designs. However, it has a very beautiful, rich, warm and rather unique timbre. It is perfect for chamber works (eg. Mozart, Beethoven, Nielsen, Bartok, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn), violin sonatas (eg. Prokofiev, Brahms, Beethoven, Schumann, Strauss, Ysaye), classical period violin concertos (eg. Bach, Mozart) or orchestral playing at a professional level. For solo concertos, especially those of Brahms, Tchaikovsky and Sibelius, I would probably recommend a violin with more brute force. I don't see myself playing any large concerto with an orchestra ever
tongue.gif
, so this violin is perfect for the time being! I would, however, love to own a fine Italian or French violin such as those made by Vuillaume, Lupot, Gagliano, Guadagnini, Amati, or even a Strad or Guarneri!

I was browsing Samuel Shen's violins (thanks for the link!) and the SV1000 model looks very nice indeed! How do they play/sound? I really like the Italian design. It is very different from say, my English violin. Someone I know has a Turin-era Guadagnini (poor man's Strad!) and it sounds wonderful (also costs an awful lot - hundreds of thousands of dollars)! I also have a friend who has a nice Vuillaume and it too sounds out of the world. I don't know why Vuillaume violins are so popular, 'cus my violin teacher has one too! As a matter of fact, most Vuillaume violins look very similar to Italian violins because he was one of the most prominent Strad and Guarneri violin copiers of his time or even ever! They are probably the second most sought-after French violins after Lupot's. They are known as the 'poor-man's Italian violin': the same quality and sound for much less. However, you do have to be richer than poor: They still cost around a hundred to two hundred thousand dollars!

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #41 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I would, however, love to own a fine Italian or French violin such as those made by Vuillaume, Lupot, Gagliano, Guadagnini, Amati, or even a Strad or Guarneri!

Ha, as would I! Mine was only about 2K, so probably no where near the sound of yours, but I enjoy playing. Unfortunatly, there is no orch. at my school, so I've been mostly takin private lessons for the past couple of years. This year, I've joined the Northern Ohio Youth Orchestra, so that should be pretty kool! My teacher is the assistant concertma\ster for teh Cleveland Opera, so I've gotten really good instruction in the art!

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy
Ha, as would I! Mine was only about 2K, so probably no where near the sound of yours, but I enjoy playing. Unfortunatly, there is no orch. at my school, so I've been mostly takin private lessons for the past couple of years. This year, I've joined the Northern Ohio Youth Orchestra, so that should be pretty kool! My teacher is the assistant concertma\ster for teh Cleveland Opera, so I've gotten really good instruction in the art!

That's great! I don't know the Cleveland Opera well enough, but I trust that your teacher is very good! It is very difficult to become assistant concertmaster of any orchestra nowadays. The competition is very tough indeed. It's also brilliant that you've joined the NOYO. What have you been playing or played, both as a soloist yourself or with the orchestra?

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #43 of 86
Compared to professional grade music instruments this headphone hobby almost seems cheap!!
eek.gif
Thanks for all the pictures, especially that beautiful violin!

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #44 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
Compared to professional grade music instruments this headphone hobby almost seems cheap!!
eek.gif
Thanks for all the pictures, especially that beautiful violin!

No problem. Musical instruments aren't just expensive, they appreciate in value too. They're a sound investment (no pun intended
wink.gif
), much better than buying limited edition headphone
cool.gif
. An uncle of mine has a Bisiach (I don't know which Bisiach, because there were a couple, but they were all well known Italian luthiers), which he purchased for almost $60,000 a few years ago. Apparently, it appreciated by over 25% in one year! I can't begin to imagine how much it is worth now...

Here are some more pictures of my violin that I took a few months ago:
bridgestring800x6007pv.jpg

violin21ud.jpg

I bring a lot of stuff around with me! This picture is what I usually bring, minus all my music and some random rags and what-nots...
organised800x6006ps.jpg

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #45 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I'm a band director and my instrument is trumpet. I play a Bach 37 Bb, 229 C with a 25H lead pipe, and an MF301 Holton. The Bach are late 70s and the MF Horn is early 70s. I'd love to get a Mount Vernon Bach Strad, but they don't give them away.
I was just wondering how you liked the Kanstul. They've come on since I was out and about trying horns, but everything I read about them they're great.

Great to know other trumpet players on head-fi. I would love to get the Mount Vernon but i think it's not worth the cost. Metal deteriorates afterall. So i'm concentrating on getting a really good new one. Hope to visit the Bach factory one day to pick out an instrument.

The Kanstul is a very good all-rounder. It has a bigger bore than the Schilke P54. It sounds great for solo playing. The sound is warmer and bigger than the Schilke. It comes with 1st slide trigger and 3rd slide ring. Overall it is a great pic but i might also get a schilke for orchestra. Certain stuff like Goldenberg doesn't sound "right" with the Kanstul. I might be selling mine because i think i need the schilke to win a job
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back