Who loves their current setup?
May 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #47 of 77
I'm another one of those guys who transitioned from headphones (five figures worth, along with lots of other gear) to speakers.

I'm incredibly happy with my current setup—far more so than any headphone system so far.

Alienware M11x R2 laptop PC ➜ Behringer UCA202 audio interface ➜ Schiit SYS passive preamp ➜ Behringer KM750 power amp ➜ Klipsch RP-250F passive floorstanding speakers

Before this, I used JBL LSR305 active compact studio monitors.

I experimented with DACs (from low- to high-end) and realized (especially with rapid volume-matched A/B testing) that the differences were miniscule compared to the massive improvement you can get from upgrading your transducers...so I'm just using a $30 audio interface as my DAC now. (Though I would like the best available eventually.)

I'm in a large house at the moment. If I move into an apartment again, I may have to get back into headphones.
Sweet setup
JBL Synthesis 4367 speakers being driven and controlled by a McIntosh MC462 amp and a McIntosh C53 preamp/dac.
Nice!

May 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #48 of 77
Probably not going to go further with headphone setup:

Lumin L1
Simaudio MOON 180 MiND
Burmester 052
Audio-GD Master 19
MrSpeakers ETHER Flow

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #49 of 77
Linn Klimax Renew DS
Beta 22 2-Channel 128-step relay volume
LCD-3 (pre fazor)

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #50 of 77
Chord Dave
Chord MScaler
XI Audio Formula S with Powerman
Abyss 1266TC

Loving this setup!

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #52 of 77
Can one ever be truly satisfied with their setup? I’m always seeing ways to improve. I guess if I had unlimited funds I could buy the best of the best (dCS separates, MSB dac, etc.) and be satisfied. But I’m sure with that I’d still be looking to improve in some way after a while. :thinking:

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #53 of 77
Probably not going to go further with headphone setup:

Lumin L1
Simaudio MOON 180 MiND
Burmester 052
Audio-GD Master 19
MrSpeakers ETHER Flow
Hey I made it over a year from this post :D. At least Solitaire P-SE didn't exist back then.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #54 of 77
Headphones can only take you so far. headphone setups used to represent a great value to speakers of 2-5x the price. But given the proliferation of $2k+ headphones, you may be better off sonically getting a pair of $6-10k speakers unless there are non audio reasons for choosing headphones.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #55 of 77
At my headphone endgame.
SMSL SU-8v2 -> Drop THX AAA 789 -> DCA Aeon RT Closed with balanced cable

Whole setup was only about $1k total but I genuinely can't find a single flaw. Havent touched any of my other full size headphones (hifiman he560, fostex tr-x00, focal Elegia, senn HD650) since getting the Aeon. They're that good.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #56 of 77
Found what I like and now I'm out of money! It has to be holographic amp with tubes headphone with bass and treble. DAC has to be tubes in it. Do not like balanced amp designs and DACs.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #57 of 77
I really love my current setup.
Still waiting on the Rockna Wavelight Server to complete it, but no other changes planned.

Thinking about a Woo Wa33 every now and then, but for now reason wins.

So depending on New releases I might keep this setup for a very long time

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #58 of 77
Yes, I do love my current system (see signature). I've also loved (at the time) pretty much all of my previous systems. Perhaps I was lucky that when younger that I didn't have enough money to be always upgrading equipment, which let me focus more on just enjoying music through whatever I did own. The great thing about audio is that if you do your research, you can put together highly musical systems at just about any price point.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #60 of 77
My current system: PS Audio Stellar P3 regenerator-dCS Rossini and Wordclock-Cavalli Liquid Gold/Woo WA33 EE-Audeze LCD-4.
The DSD was traded in on the Rossini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back