Who Just Bought The Latest RKV?
Jan 1, 2003 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering how the latest version of the RKV's are. I am having some problems securing a proper amp for my HD600's. Melos has turned into an "iffy at best", Earmax Pro and RKV are still in the running. But the slight price difference has me leaning towards the RKV again. Don't make me buy another MG Head!
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 33
I received my RKV from Jan Meier about a week ago. It arrived in perfect condition. It's the older version, though, where the toroidal transformer is mounted to the pcb, but Jan made me a deal I couldn't refuse. The thing is absolutely beautiful.................and sounds even better. Unfortunately, I've only been able to use it with my high impedance 'phones, as the Impedancer is still out there somewhere.
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Melos has turned into an "iffy at best",

What do you not like about the Melos/HD600 combo? If I recall, you purchased SIE's Melos Gold (or something like that).

Jan 1, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Melos has turned into an "iffy at best", Earmax Pro and RKV are still in the running.

Why is Melos "iffy"? The later Melos units suffered reliability issues, as Melos started to cut corners when they realized that they might not make it. However, earlier units, such as the SHA-1, are built like tanks, and still sound great. I believe there's one that's been sitting in the Gear for Sale area that's priced around $500 that hasn't been moving...that's almost criminal. At that price point, the SHA-1 has almost no competition.

Jan 1, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 33
Lextek
I don't know how to say this to you. I know the RKV isn't exactly cheap, but... I simply cannot imagine anyone liking the MG Head not loving the RKV.

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Just wondering how the latest version of the RKV's are. But the slight price difference has me leaning towards the RKV again.
cool.gif

I have one due any day now. Of course with the holidays, any day could be a week from now. I will let you know when it arrives and it has a chance to break in.

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Addict
I have one due any day now. Of course with the holidays, any day could be a week from now. I will let you know when it arrives and it has a chance to break in.

Wait till you see, and hear, this thing in person......major WOW factor!
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 33
To clear up some questions here and let everyone know what is going on, my Melos arrived in CT at Bob's house damaged and non-functioning. It left here working perfectly, was double boxed, and the wonderful USPS parcel post somehow damaged it without bashing the box up. That means Bob is out an amp, and I will more than likely eat the several hundered dollar repair job thanks to the package's treatment enroute. MAR will now get my busniess to repair it before I put it back up for sale as soon as I can get it repaired and back to me!! Bob has been patient and understanding through all of this, it's a bummer he had to go through the experience as this amp was incredible sounding with those Siemens tubes I sent with it!!!

Jan 2, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 33
I should be getting my new rkv fairly soon as well. I imagine my rkv is going thru customs right now as they are trying to figure out what the heck it is!

BTW I got a nice surprise recently from AudioValve when i opened a package from them that contained some replacement parts (2 caps) for my old rkv. Audiovalve also included in the package 4 pristine TELEFUNKEN pcl805 tubes!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I was expecting the standard polamp pcl805 tubes but Helmut of audiovalve didn't mention anything about sending me the telefunkens. wow, what a cool company!!

Jan 2, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Why is Melos "iffy"? The later Melos units suffered reliability issues, as Melos started to cut corners when they realized that they might not make it. However, earlier units, such as the SHA-1, are built like tanks, and still sound great. I believe there's one that's been sitting in the Gear for Sale area that's priced around $500 that hasn't been moving...that's almost criminal. At that price point, the SHA-1 has almost no competition.

Yeah, tell me about it, I've also been trying to sell one for $500 without takers. Hey, maybe lextek could buy it and get it modded by carlo
smily_headphones1.gif

- Wasif

Jan 2, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Yeah, tell me about it, I've also been trying to sell one for $500 without takers. Hey, maybe lextek could buy it and get it modded by carlo
smily_headphones1.gif

- Wasif

A year ago $500 was the Melos' asking price. Before that it was less. It's a bit like the stock market - if you don't want to lose money, you have to sell when the market's high and buy when it's low.
smily_headphones1.gif

(You can always just wait and pray that the Melos comes back into fashion.)

Jan 2, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 33
I think the last one to sell here went for $400 plus S&H. Proper shipping on those must be alot, though.

Jan 3, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 33
Well, now it's offical: I'm broke!!
biggrin.gif
I just sent Lextek his money in refund for the broken amp he got, now I have to pay MAR to repair it so I can sell it in the future.

On a positive note I just got my RKV MkII in the mail and I'll post some impressions soon to let you know how it sounds. It came with some Telefunken tubes, so I'll see if they make any difference. I won't hold my breath as teh stock tubes are suppsoed to be the best, but who knows!!!

Jan 3, 2003 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 33
Hi ServinginEcuador,

I can't wait to hear your impressions of your telefunkens versus the stock polamp pcl805 tubes in the rkv. I just got my rkv today and it was shipped with some japanese rca tubes but unfortunately one of the rca tubes went bad so i'm using the telefunkens right now.

Only one of my telefunken pcl805 tubes has the diamond logo on the base so i think the other 3 tubes may been made by other tube manufacturers and relabeled telefunken (a common practice by tube manufacturers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back