Who is your favorite violinist?
Jan 20, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats a lot of people! Too bad none of them (aside from joshua bell) really comes to boston to play...

And he's my least favorite fiddler.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #77 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old giants. Heifetz, Oistrach, Menuhin, Milstein, Elman, Kreisler, Ysaye, and so forth. NOBODY today plays music so movingly and touchingly as they did. No, technically they were not perfect (with the exception of Heifetz) but they all played music for the sake of the music, not to show off their violinistic muscles. It's unfortunate that today, what many violinists strive for first and foremost is to play absolutely perfectly in tune and play with a cutting edge sound that projects to the very back of any hall in any hall that is thrown at them. Any piece of music that they play is merely a device to show off violin technique. I strongly believe that this is absolutely the WRONG way to approach violin playing and music making.

Back in the days of the greats I mentioned at the beginning, it was the other way around, as it should be. Violin technique is merely a device to allow one to freely communicate the wonderful music the composer wrote. When I go to a concert, I want to be moved to tears by Mr. Schubert or whomever, not be impressed by how in tune the violinist is playing. Of course it is important to have excellent technique, but it should not be the most important thing.

Unfortunately, perfect technique is first and foremost at most major international competitions, and often the violinist who made the more moving and better musically thought out performance that was hindered by a couple missed shifts will always lose to the one who played perfectly in tune, even if it the performance didn't capture the essence of the music, even if it was a much more boring interpretation.

In no other art form is such "cleanliness" absolutely mandatory, so why should it be in music?

I agree with you 150%! I wish there would be more musicians like you...and me,lol
eggosmile.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #78 of 85
I like Lisa Batiashvili a lot,from the modern ones.Tetzlaff is great too.From the old ones,Heifetz and Szeryng.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #80 of 85
What are your favorite recordings by Heifetz, Slayerming2? I just got the box set and I'm looking for where to start.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #81 of 85
What are your favorite recordings by Heifetz, Slayerming2? I just got the box set and I'm looking for where to start.

There a lot of great recording by Heifetz. My first and one of my favorite is the Heifetz Supreme. http://www.amazon.com/Heifetz-The-Supreme-Jascha/dp/B00003CWJU/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_3
This disc probably has the best value out of every CD I've ever bought. Honeslty it has so much for only $8. The Brhams, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Glazunov violin concertos. Plus it has the bach chaconne scottisch fantasy, and some Gershwin. All this for only $8. I honestly have no idea why it is so cheap! The sound quality isn't bad you just have to keep in mind a lot of his recordings were from 50 years ago.

Other great albums by Heifetz are Jascha Heifetz Plays Sonatas for Violin box set, Heifetz Collection, Vol. 21- Korngold: Concerto; Rózsa: Concerto; Tema con variazioni; Waxman: "Carmen" Fantasy, Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D / Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E Minor, and of course the famous Heifetz Last recital. These are just some of my favorite albums.

Though to be honest I wouldn't recommend Heifetz for the beethoven violin concerto. Though Heifetz is the greatest violinist, I'm not a fan of his interpretation for the beethoven violin concerto. I think the best recording was made by Christian Ferras with Herbert Von Karajan. So good!

But all the albums I listed would be a great start. Just out of curiosity what Heifetz box set did you get?

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #82 of 85
I got the complete box set. Everything on 104 CDs.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #83 of 85
I got the complete box set. Everything on 104 CDs.

Damn that must have costed a bit. Well me been a violinist I would start with his violin concertos of course(mendelson been my favorite) Go through the bach, beethoven, Brahms, Prokofiev, and so many others. Other than that the live concerts a delight and I hope you have a happy listening :)

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #84 of 85
I got it on eBay pretty cheap. It sells on Amazon for much more.

I've listened to the Bruch VC and it was great. Right now I'm listening to Vieuxtemps with Sargent. Wonderful stuff.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #85 of 85
Yann Tiersen is one of my favorite musicians period, but I love when he plays the violin. I went to one of his gigs and was sort of disappointed he only did one song with the violin. I also really enjoy Lindsey Sterling. It might be my inner geek, but listening to video game music in violin is pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back