Who is your favorite violinist?
Aug 5, 2002 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
As some of you might have guessed, I am a fan of violin virtuosos. Other than me
biggrin.gif
, my favorite is Sarah Chang...because she is the first I have seriously listened to.

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 85
I'm sure someone will flame me for this, but
Nigel Kennedy is awesome! Or is it just KENNEDY?

...So is Gil Shaham!

Aug 5, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 85
I think Jascha Heifetz is pretty amazing as far as violinists go. I must have listened to his recording of the Tchaikovsky concerto for a month solidly whenever I first got it!
Andrew

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 85
I think Heifetz is legendary. Perlman's skill's one of the best in my generation. I was crazy about Kyung Wha Chung during her early years, until her second attempt on Tchaikovsky. I think Anne-Sophie Mutter's talented. Did I leave anyone out?
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 85
I dare someone to say Vanessa Mae
tongue.gif

I think shes turned into a pop-dress half-nude-provacative star
instead of a violin player. Well good for her. More cash will roll in

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 85
I love the playing of Isaac Stern -- don't know if he was a virtuoso in his early days, but his recording of the Brahms piano quartets with Yo-yo Ma on cello is one of my favorites.

Aug 14, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 85
Itzhak Perlman is mine for sure. I've only seen him perform live once, and in fact, it was what inspired me to subscribe to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra seats in the first place (just to hear him play and conduct).

Aug 14, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 85
favorite 5 are (in no particular order)

itzhak perlman
arthur grumiaux
hilary hahn
gil shaham
gidon kremer

i do prefer male violinists to female (despite my eye for young women with violins and short skirts
wink.gif
).

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 85
You mean, besides Heifetz?

Aug 24, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
You mean, besides Heifetz?

I think there's no doubt that Heifetz's one of the best violinists ever on record. However, some poeple do think he's a tad "cold" (emotionless). I don't totally agree with that, but I guess that's why some people don't put him on the "favorite" list.

Heifetz is one of my favorite (see my previous post), even so, once in a while, I'd like to listen to Kyung Wha Chung, not quite perfect skill, but a tad feminine touch to the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 85
The old giants. Heifetz, Oistrach, Menuhin, Milstein, Elman, Kreisler, Ysaye, and so forth. NOBODY today plays music so movingly and touchingly as they did. No, technically they were not perfect (with the exception of Heifetz) but they all played music for the sake of the music, not to show off their violinistic muscles. It's unfortunate that today, what many violinists strive for first and foremost is to play absolutely perfectly in tune and play with a cutting edge sound that projects to the very back of any hall in any hall that is thrown at them. Any piece of music that they play is merely a device to show off violin technique. I strongly believe that this is absolutely the WRONG way to approach violin playing and music making.

Back in the days of the greats I mentioned at the beginning, it was the other way around, as it should be. Violin technique is merely a device to allow one to freely communicate the wonderful music the composer wrote. When I go to a concert, I want to be moved to tears by Mr. Schubert or whomever, not be impressed by how in tune the violinist is playing. Of course it is important to have excellent technique, but it should not be the most important thing.

Unfortunately, perfect technique is first and foremost at most major international competitions, and often the violinist who made the more moving and better musically thought out performance that was hindered by a couple missed shifts will always lose to the one who played perfectly in tune, even if it the performance didn't capture the essence of the music, even if it was a much more boring interpretation.

In no other art form is such "cleanliness" absolutely mandatory, so why should it be in music?

Aug 25, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
I think there's no doubt that Heifetz's one of the best violinists ever on record. However, some poeple do think he's a tad "cold" (emotionless). I don't totally agree with that, but I guess that's why some people don't put him on the "favorite" list.

I don't at all agree with that. But everyone's entitled to their opinion...even when it's wrong.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back