Who is your favorite violinist?
Jul 28, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #46 of 85
I did think, when listening to Heifetz, that the sound was somewhat thin. But being inexperienced with solo violin in general, I have no clue whether that's a Heifetz trait or a trait of violins in general (as opposed to say cello).

But for sure it's very dubious to claim that he sucks. It seems to be popular in classical music threads or forums to denounce everyone but your personal heroes as sucking, and to interpret your taste as being the primary factor in quality. Thus, Heifetz, Brendel, Uchida, Ashkenazy, etc. etc. all suck. Heck, people even say Mozart sucks and is a series of cheap tricks.

But when you think about it from a less overwrought standpoint that doesn't really make sense at all. For example, apparently Perlman thought Heifetz was godlike. So if you think Heifetz sucks then it follows that Perlman has no taste. Similarly, Rubinstein was Heifetz's piano trio partner, so if Heifetz sucks then Rubinstein either didn't care about his chamber music or else he's not a discerning pianist. And so on and so forth.

Can't we just say that there are many skillful players and they play in different ways that may or may not be to everyone's tastes? I'm amazed by even a mediocre player in how fast they can move their fingers around, and thus even more by the well-known players. Do we really need to go on about how people are washed up, soulless, nonmusical, over-Romantic, boring, plain, don't care about the composer's intention, bastardize the music, over-interpret, just play the notes as written, etc. etc. etc.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #48 of 85
I also have to mention Hillary Hahn -- pretty much anything she performs instantly becomes my default rendition.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Pinchas Zukerman,

Wow, didn't think I'd see that one here. He was with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra when I was in junior high and high school and my parents usually had season tickets. I've never heard a recording of him but I've heard him live several times, and I always thought he was very good. Someday I have to give that CD he and Perlman did together a listen...

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
Gidon Kremer and Andrew Manze for me - faultless technique wedded to restless intelligence and interpretive flair.

Ahhh yes... Both are excellent players. I like Manze's Mozart Violin Concertos. Gidon Kremer also does them perfectly too.

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #53 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
to me, perlman has as good technique as heifetz but is so much more musical.... (listen to his wieniawski concerti)

Hard to say because there are so many greats. I like Heifitz because of his calculated playing. It may be less musical but very uniform and fits classical in that way.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #56 of 85
I'd have to say...

Arthur Grumiaux

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #59 of 85
The ones I listen to are Kyung Wha Chung and Sarah Chang, maybe it's because I'm Korean also that I find them good, but yeah... they're amazing.

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #60 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Bond

You sure about that?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back