Who is "Your Band"
Sep 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #106 of 120

Quote:
After 12 hours of work my brain was a little fried and I thought you were saying Rick Rubin produced Mastodon's work and I almost did a triple take and was about to defend "Crack the Skye" :wink:

lol noooooo!!!  That wouldn't have helped that album at all!  Although I may have enjoyed it if Rubin would have cranked up the bass synth on "Quintessence" a little bit more...  :wink:

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #108 of 120
My first band of choice was Rush and they occupied the top spot for about 25 years. Along about 2005 they were displaced by Porcupine Tree. There are some other bands like Tool and Steely Dan who can be temporarily numero uno depending on my mood.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #109 of 120
The only band I came close to being obsessive about was Silver Sun. This may be because it is easier to obsess about bands that nobody has ever heard of. It's easier to corner the market.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #110 of 120

Quote:
The only band I came close to being obsessive about was Silver Sun. This may be because it is easier to obsess about bands that nobody has ever heard of. It's easier to corner the market.

This is true for me to some extent.  I get hooked on tiny metal bands that open for small metal bands (ie: Mushroomhead) and then go to YouTube to try and link my friends some sample music, find only one song with 950 views, then check the "most viewed" and see Justin Bieber and Lada Gaga combining their top song each for over 1 BILLION views.  Makes me a sad panda.

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #111 of 120

Quote:
Who is your one artist or band that you have followed and devoted to? The one band you will carry thru your life as your favorite, know every lyric to every song? 

For me it would have to be Depeche Mode, I think since the early days of "People are People" in the early 80's they have just been a part of my life and when I first saw them live and saw the fans and the interaction of the music and the band, wow that was a big moment for me. The lyrics have always been about love and religion and I think this has affected me as well. 

I think other band came close NIN, Radiohead... but for me DM just fit. I never hit it off on U2, and am just now getting into Pink Floyd and wow they might be a close second for me...

Curious what others people think? Cheers.

I dont obssess over bands anymore like i used to back in the 1970s thru the 1990s. Might be due to seeing alot rehash of styles being very similar. I found it quite amusing when the other month enjoying the available radio stations the first time in ages with my recently purchased Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever i came across a christian music station which was playing music by christian artists who were blatenly taking a certain sound from alot of rock and goth groups. It was pretty odd hearing a U2 or Echo And The Bunnymen music style being played with christian lyrics
confused_face_2.gif
o2smile.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Groups i obssessed about in the past and are still my favorites are:

David Bowie
Gary Numan
John Foxx (Ultravox)
Echo And The Bunnymen
Marilyn Manson
The Doors
Metallica
Cathedral
Wumpscut
The Ray Connif Singers.....

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #112 of 120
I don't have whole bands but rather specific tracks that I can never get tired of. These include work by Saki Kaskas, AlienHand, Asura, Solar Fields, Cell, Chicane, Carbon Based Lifeforms, etc. I've been listening to them every day for years and still can't get enough.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #113 of 120
The only artist for me would be Bruce Springsteen. Not that I can say I followed his whole career or anything, given it started long before I was born, but it's a familial thing for me, and I love damn near everything he has done. There are so many bands that I could list as a tie for second, and I guess that's why it has to be Springsteen for me, as he's the only one who is ahead of the rest. I only realized recently how important his music was to me when someone asked me my favorite song and I immediately said Racing in the Street by Springsteen, then they asked me to list a few more of my top songs, and I had nothing. There are tons and tons of songs I love, but I think that Racing in the Street is the greatest song composed in the past 50 years.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #114 of 120

Quote:
My first band of choice was Rush and they occupied the top spot for about 25 years. Along about 2005 they were displaced by Porcupine Tree. There are some other bands like Tool and Steely Dan who can be temporarily numero uno depending on my mood.

mine was Nightwish for probably 3 years.  Then I decided I disliked Nightwish and Porcupine Tree became my love.  It still is, though Opeth sometimes gets to me.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #115 of 120
Frank Black / Pixies

I buy every album he comes out with and I've yet to be disappointed. I think his music and songwriting continued to mature which makes him a great imho. I don't listen to him as much as I used to, but it always feels like home when I got some FB tunes playing.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #116 of 120
My band is Pink Floyd.  Got into them around 1994.  It was after their Division Bell album, and then it was game on.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #117 of 120
Phish

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #119 of 120
I resist choosing absolutes, but it's probably either Sly and the Family Stone or Parliament-Funkadelic…

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #120 of 120
I've been listening to The Most Serene Republic since their debut album in 2005--I was 15 at the time. Their music continues to both astound me musically and touch me emotionally. I've never heard anything else quite like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back