Who is "Your Band"
Aug 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #91 of 120

Led Zeppelin!       Classic 
LED ZEPPELIN!!!

I was born nearly nine years after Bonham died, but ever since my dad put on Zeppelin IV in the car when I was like 10, I've been totally obsessed.

Zeppelin is one of the few bands I have continued to love throughout all my rapidly changing musical tastes.

And in response to this:
Hot Fuss used to be one of my favorite albums, until my CD player in my car broke to where it could not eject CDs. So I was stuck with Hot Fuss for about a year and half as the only CD in my car lol. No matter how good of an album it is, believe me it can get old eventually.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #92 of 120

Quote:
LED ZEPPELIN!!!

I was born nearly nine years after Bonham died, but ever since my dad put on Zeppelin IV in the car when I was like 10, I've been totally obsessed.

Zeppelin is one of the few bands I have continued to love throughout all my rapidly changing musical tastes.

If I had to choose one favorite band, it would be Zep for me too. As a 15-yr-old sophomore in high school, I was listening to the Top 40 stuff, until the stoner next to me in Biology class answered my questions about all the band logos drawn all over his notebooks and let me start borrowing cassettes. Zep was the first of the bands he let me borrow that truly opened my ears to what music could be....and they helped me maintain a tenuous grip on sanity during the miserable last couple of years of high school. 

I don't pull them out and listen to them all the time now, but when I do, or if I hear them somewhere, I still enjoy them just as much now, 25 years later.
atsmile.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #93 of 120
Tool and associated side projects/earlier bands of all members.

Mushroomhead and again, associated side projects and earlier/later bands of members.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #94 of 120
It is nice to see Zep  moving passed the generations on and becoming a part of younger peoples lives. They are truly a lifestyle choice. There is so much to get into. I was able to get my first Zep tape in 72 when I was 10 years old. I had a pink tape of album 4 which I played every morning before school. My little brother would look out from his room and see and hear this music and he has become truly in love with rock. He now goes to about 8 concerts a month!

I posted Black Sabbath in this thread as my band but Zep would be second, that's for sure. The remastered movie sound track for The Song Remains The Same sounds great.Any Zep fan has to have it! We are so lucky Jimmy Page had a hand in remastering something so grand!

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #95 of 120

Quote:
Me too LOL.  I remember being pretty excited when Meteora came out.  I was bummed that it had copy protection and I couldn't rip it to my computer.  It was the first time I had ran into that and probably why I remember it.

You guys should check out A Thousand Suns - I have never been a fan of Linkin Park, but that is a solid album.  I checked it out because I generally like Rick Rubin's production results, and I have been pretty impressed by this release.  It's a concept album - definitely has its faults, but it's a lot better than their normal radio hits, IMO.  

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #96 of 120

Quote:
You guys should check out A Thousand Suns - I have never been a fan of Linkin Park, but that is a solid album.  I checked it out because I generally like Rick Rubin's production results, and I have been pretty impressed by this release.  It's a concept album - definitely has its faults, but it's a lot better than their normal radio hits, IMO.  

You cannot be serious. Rick Rubin is considered to be the father of the loudness war. The enemy of all audiophiles. The killer of modern mastering.

I'm not going to soapbox, instead I'll suggest you read this article. It's a bit long, but our hate is pure, and entirely justified.

I will check out their new album. I owe it to the twelve year old in me. edit: halfway through the album. meh.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #97 of 120
I know pretty much of these groups songs. Even my wife keeps wondering how can I sing them all along from memory 
blink.gif

• The Beatles
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Stone Temple Pilots

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #98 of 120
I know pretty much of these groups songs. Even my wife keeps wondering how can I sing them all along from memory 
blink.gif

• The Beatles
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Stone Temple Pilots

I definitely have the same with the Beatles. They don't have much more than 200 songs in their main discography, but I know them all by heart. That is I know not only the lyrics, but also who sings them, all the instruments and a good part of the small details (like someone shouting on the background very softly, the stuff only us audiophiles are allowed to hear due to our expensive gear).
God yes, I love them Beatles. And they are definitely 'My Band' if anyone.
As a matter of fact I like them so much that over the past 16 or so months I have listened to them close to an hour per day.
Using Last.FM playcount of the Beatles:
Then calculating the average song length of their main discography:
225 songs / 615.253min (10:15:15) = 2.734min per track.
Calculating the total time listened:
10,045 * 2.73446 = 27,467.65 min
Calculating the total amount of days since I 25 Feb 2010:
544 days
Dividing total time listened by amount of days:
27,463.0 / 544 = 50.49 min = 50:30

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #99 of 120
blink.gif

• The Beatles
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Stone Temple Pilots

I definitely have the same with the Beatles. They don't have much more than 200 songs in their main discography, but I know them all by heart. That is I know not only the lyrics, but also who sings them, all the instruments and a good part of the small details (like someone shouting on the background very softly, the stuff only us audiophiles are allowed to hear due to our expensive gear).
God yes, I love them Beatles. And they are definitely 'My Band' if anyone.
As a matter of fact I like them so much that over the past 16 or so months I have listened to them close to an hour per day.
Using Last.FM playcount of the Beatles:
Then calculating the average song length of their main discography:
225 songs / 615.253min (10:15:15) = 2.734min per track.
Calculating the total time listened:
10,045 * 2.73446 = 27,467.65 min
Calculating the total amount of days since I 25 Feb 2010:
544 days
Dividing total time listened by amount of days:
27,463.0 / 544 = 50.49 min = 50:30

I'm pretty sure that The Beatles are a band that every music lover and musician respects and loves at some point in their life. They are the most important single band in the history of recorded music and Im doubtful anyone would dispute that.

Artists as far reaching as Nirvana, Justin Timberlake, Pat Metheny, Philip Glass, Otis Redding, Keith Jarrett and Stevie Wonder, Ozzy Osbourne, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Phll Collins, George Benson, Paul Westerberg,Andrew Lloyd Webber, Neil young etc. have all named the Beatles as one their favorite artists in the history of music, and for many listed - they cite the Beatles as their greatest influence.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #100 of 120

Quote:
You cannot be serious. Rick Rubin is considered to be the father of the loudness war. The enemy of all audiophiles. The killer of modern mastering.

I'm not going to soapbox, instead I'll suggest you read this article. It's a bit long, but our hate is pure, and entirely justified.

I will check out their new album. I owe it to the twelve year old in me. edit: halfway through the album. meh.

I am more of a fan of what he does for bands, i.e. strips them down to their roots to help them not make bloated "studio" albums that will never sound good live.   

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #101 of 120
The loudness war I think owes its greatest debt to radio stations, whom have been compressing the dynamic range of the music for years. 

I worked with Roy Cicala years ago (of John Lennon production fame and owner of Record Plant) and he said back in the 70s, the record labels would fight over who's song would sound the loudest on the radio.  And they used to record their masters at 15RPM instead of 30 because it was believed that it made the recording sound slightly louder.  Radio Stations compress the bejeeezus out of the music they play and apparently listeners often get disappointed if the CD has any type of dynamic variety when compared with the radio. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #102 of 120

Quote:
It is nice to see Zep  moving passed the generations on and becoming a part of younger peoples lives. They are truly a lifestyle choice. There is so much to get into. I was able to get my first Zep tape in 72 when I was 10 years old. I had a pink tape of album 4 which I played every morning before school. My little brother would look out from his room and see and hear this music and he has become truly in love with rock. He now goes to about 8 concerts a month!

I posted Black Sabbath in this thread as my band but Zep would be second, that's for sure. The remastered movie sound track for The Song Remains The Same sounds great.Any Zep fan has to have it! We are so lucky Jimmy Page had a hand in remastering something so grand!

"How the West Was Won" sounds fantastic as well, and I think it's a better performance.  If you don't have it, I'd highly recommend it.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #104 of 120

Quote:
Alright, I can understand that.

Yeah, I didn't really think about how that last Metallica album turned out before I mentioned his name... I do like that LP disc, though.  At least they're trying to evolve.  My favorite producer as far as actually enjoying the sound of a record is probably Brendan O'Brien - always such a warm, rounded-edge feel to his stuff.  I particularly enjoy his work with heavier bands (RATM, Mastodon, etc.)

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #105 of 120

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't really think about how that last Metallica album turned out before I mentioned his name... I do like that LP disc, though.  At least they're trying to evolve.  My favorite producer as far as actually enjoying the sound of a record is probably Brendan O'Brien - always such a warm, rounded-edge feel to his stuff.  I particularly enjoy his work with heavier bands (RATM, Mastodon, etc.)

After 12 hours of work my brain was a little fried and I thought you were saying Rick Rubin produced Mastodon's work and I almost did a triple take and was about to defend "Crack the Skye" :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back