Who is the most talented musician alive?
May 17, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #107 of 124
you missed the anime thread by a bit
wink.gif

May 17, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #108 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because I have loved everything he has done, and he's a jack of all trades...Dave Grohl...

agreed

*runs away*

May 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #112 of 124
Buckethead is good ... he can play drums / bass too apparently ...Dave Grohl too, all that plus he manages to sing pretty well within that pop-rock context ...(seems to understand making pop rock with good hooks/etc too )
All 3 guys in the band Rush ...
All the living members of the band Yes ... Chris Squire especially ...
Trey Anastasio (Phish) ...
Joey DeFrancesco (jazz organ) ...
Joshua Bell (classical violinist - saw him play here live and was astounded ...)

May 20, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #113 of 124
Prince !!!

how could I forget his talents ... he plays every instrument , sings of course and produces and engineers his albums and live shows pretty much ...(not to mention his sense of showmanship and dazzle when they play live ...)

May 20, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #114 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most underrated guitarist and possible one of the finest musicians of this century is John Williams. Segovia set the stage in the beginning and mid 20th century, for this brilliant virtuosos.

If you have never seen or heard him play you really owe it your yourself to have a look at this.

YouTube - BWV - 1006 - Prelude from lute suite 4 - John Williams

John Williams seems to get a lot of attention, because his recordings are ubiquitous, but from my point of view Christopher Parkening is the best guitarist now that Segovia is not around. I like John and Christopher about equally as far as listening enjoyment, but Christopher (who I was fortunate enough to see live) comes closer to that perceived perfection goal.

However, one of the greatest experiences is when I throw on one of my many Segovia LPs and get lost in listening one of the most musical musician of all time.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #116 of 124
^A bit of a bump I see!

Not a bad thread to bring back, though.

Overall, although he's dead, I'd say that Frank Zappa was one of the most innovative, intelligent and creative artists I've ever heard. He could write the music for all the instruments in the band, was an excellent guitarist, pianist and composer who gave life to many young artists and created some beautiful music. Sad that he's dismissed by the ignorant as a parody or silly musician half of the time due to some of his music which has humorous lyrics or names. Michael Hedges was another one that came to mind, but is also deceased.

Currently, Roswell Rudd and Toumani Diabate have peaked my interest in the past few years as excellent composers and musicians who make very original sounding music with all the collaborations with other artists from different genres and ethnic groups. Eric Clapton is another favorite of mine, although he reinvents/covers a lot of old classic blues so I can't give him a lot of credit the composition department, but as an actual musician, very talented.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #117 of 124
Prince and Paul McCartney

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #119 of 124
As far as lyrics and music in general go, Bob Dylan's got everyone beat by a mile.

Greatest guitarist would be Joe Satriani.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back