Who is the better songwriter in your opinion....Dylan or Wilson
Jun 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 58
I have to go with Dylan. Some of Wilson's arrangements are wonderful, but Dylan is certainly the better songwriter.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 58
If you are talking about song writers doing their own work, I'd probably vote for Brian Wilson because I dislike Dylan's singing. But IMO, a lot of good song writers aren't good performers. A lot of other performs have done fantastic versions of Dylan songs. I'm sure there are covers of Wilson's songs, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I don't get Pet Sounds. It may be the only version I've heard of it wasn't that good. The SQ was so-so and most of the songs sound dated or maybe filler. I have this problem with a lot of 60s albums. I think a lot of 60s groups had problems writing a full album worth of songs in the time the labels allowed for them.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 58
Wow, for me it's no contest. Bob Dylan is a huge whiner. Brian Wilson wrote some of the greatest pop songs in history. Pet Sounds is a beautiful album with no filler at all. And smile, as he finally realized it with the wondermints a few years back is absolutely stunning. Someone should beat mike love for preventing the beach boys from finishing that originally.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say they both equally stink. Popularity and genre influence do not always equate to something being good. Look at all the imitators of Nirvana or Korn, for instances.

In what ways do they "stink", in your opinion?

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Nice!

As much as I respect all that Brian Wilson did (and is still doing, I suppose), it's just not a contest here... and yes, I do see why the question was asked because there's a lot more to a song than just the words. But still, Bob stands alone as compared to all other songwriters from 1960 onwards IMO.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #23 of 58
I grew up with Dylan and Beach Boys tunes, and fwiw I could never take the Beach Boys seriously. I didn't like most of the singing, though I realize others did. They were on the edge of bubble gum for the most part. Lyrics were entirely lacking inspiration or merit. It all sounded the same after a while. I never bought one of their albums. I got tired of seeing their photos in zines.
I learned to trust Dylan's voice early on. He and Baez introduced me to folk music, and to this day Dylan's records are in steady rotation here. He is a poet. His place in the musical pantheon is secure now and for generations to come. He was involved with the great issues of his time, and he was a catalyst for change. He and others akin to him provided the soundtrack for a generation. There are dozens of his songs that I sing from memory, which I couldn't say about Beach Boys fodder. Incomparably greater numbers of artists have covered Dylan's compositions.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Your opinion, who is the better songwriter....Bob Dylan or Brian Wilson. Yes I know Wilson rarely wrote words, and Dylan just constantly recycled the same chord patterns.......but putting that aside, who's songs do you relate to more.....who do you like better?

You nailed it. Dylan wrote better lyrics and Wilson wrote better melodies with amazing harmonies.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #26 of 58
Though I really like Pet Sounds and SMiLE, I gotta go with some other people here and say that earlier Beach Boys stuff just doesn't do it for me at all.

Dylan hands down.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 58
On a side note I have been listening to the remastered vinyl albums from Sundazed records and they are very nice.
I have around 15 from various artists, and all are good pressings.
the Dylans are very good.
I have greatest Hits, Blonde on Blonde, and Nashville Skyline.
Also have the 3Lp "Dennis" Wilson album Pacific Ocean Blue. very, very good recording. Also by Sundazed. Anyway anyone into Dylan or the other Wilson, that are into vinyl should check them out.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I really like Pet Sounds and SMiLE, I gotta go with some other people here and say that earlier Beach Boys stuff just doesn't do it for me at all.

Dylan hands down.

Pet Sounds has many nice tracks but the Beach Boys had already peeked by then. I like most all the tracks that Brian Wilson did lead vocals on and I am not a fan of Mike Love which includes most all of the car tunes. As a whole, most of the pre Pet Sounds albums are spotty but the best of these is Summer Days and Summer Nights which is their high water mark. The Beach Boys Today comes in as a close 2nd place after that. Dylan could probably be credited for writing the best lyrics in rock history but he didn't seem well gifted for writing melodies although there are exceptions.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You nailed it. Dylan wrote better lyrics and Wilson wrote better melodies with amazing harmonies.

x2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back