who is Kevin Gilmore?
Sep 19, 2006 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

blargman

100+ Head-Fier
biggrin.gif
wikipedia is empty, someone should create one!

i see his name alot in amp design. alot being the 1 day i've been looking into amp design.

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 55
Dr. Kevin GIlmore is the designer of the Dynalo, Dynahi, KGSS, Dinatube, some of the best designs in headphone amplifiers.

there is much more to be said about him though...

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 55
He's synonomous with some very excellent sounding amplifiers
580smile.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 55
He was a lecturer at a university (was it stanford?) and a designer who produces some wonderfully musical however ludicrously inefficient amplifier design, and posts them on the board.

He does (did?) regularly visit this board, especially if you mention really high voltages or other dangerous or crazy projects.

He is responsible for the Dynalo, Dynamid (balanced dynalo), Dynahi, and Dynamight (balanced dynahi) designs, as well as having a ludicrous but so far untested Tube amplifier design.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by zbuddah
Actually I believe he was/is a physics professor at Northwestern University.

Chemistry. And he is still there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 55
sounds like one smart dude. I think I am going to try and build a dynamite. Are there parts still available to do this? is it dumb to try and make one as a newb? there aren't any problems with the design are there? Are all the current designs at http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/ ?

It may take me awhile to build, but i can't find an amp that i've heard more good things about or anyone has panned. well except Garbz saying its inefficient. but he isn't a newb like me and could probably redesign it. no way in hell i could
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

is it dumb to try and make one as a newb?

If you think you can handle troubleshooting a Dynamite if you mess it up then by all means go for it.
If not you may want to start with something that is more n00b friendly.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 55
For how very little I dealt with him, I think that Kevin is a honest person in an almost old-fashioned way.

Sep 20, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 55
Inefficiency is bound to creep in when you are skating along the bleeding edge. There are a lot of other designs that are good, and more efficient if that's a prerequisite. Like a car, the most efficient is not apt to be the best performing, so you get to pick your path.

Ask Kevin about his bird bath sometime. He builds other things, too.
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
If you think you can handle troubleshooting a Dynamite if you mess it up then by all means go for it.
If not you may want to start with something that is more n00b friendly.
wink.gif

ya therein lies the rub. the actual amp looks rather simple, the power supply looks a bit tricky tho. all in all tho I mean really the hardwork was really done already in designing the thing. as long as the reference design that available off the site i gave is reliable. all i should need is a good multimeter no?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm surprised no one's said yet "He's the hardest working man in show-business"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back