Who here is waiting for a Diablo?
Oct 4, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #32 of 50
Well done guys. Best of luck with what you're planning.

Many people have been watching the debacle, and I'm sure other would-be Larocco-type companies will think twice before pulling a stunt like this if they see that the community is willing and ready to act against unscrupulous businesses.

Keep us posted!

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #34 of 50
This guy may not be able to answer all emails, but he can at least post a NEW picture up of a unit. He owes his customers that much. I cannot believe he is fine leaving everyone in the dark. What a jerk.

Did anyone actually hear a demo unit back in the day? I hope everyone is not basing their anticipation solely on an innovative volume knob.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #35 of 50
I don't know if anyone has heard one. Most of us, I believe, bought the Diablo after owning another Larocco product and knowing both the quality of sound and build. The Headcode is reportedly a superb amp, but I've never heard it. The PRII, which I own, is an amazing little amp that many believe still sets the standard for quality sound in transportable amps, even though it's been out for quite a while now. I think we all have similar hopes for the Diablo, and because of that known excellence were willing to pay well, and wait and wait and...
frown.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #36 of 50
Speaking of the headcode, there is one in the FS section with pics. Looks pretty nice.

Yet I wonder if the declining salesmanship over at LA has spilled over into build quality. There is no evidence this has occured, but still, can anyone safely assume otherwise?

Has anyone received any LA amps such as PRII recently to vouch for them? Just something to take into consideration.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #37 of 50
It has spilled over. My PRII mk II was not as well made as the first PRII I had. The AC jack wasn't aligned right. I emailed Larry at Larocco repeatedly about fixing it, and he never replied. Unfortunately this was well after I had ordered a Diablo.

Boomana is right, we ordered Diablos with the idea that it would be Phil Larocco's state of the art. That ended up being the wonderful Lisa III. Phil Larocco licensed his designs to Larry Milligan at Larocco Audio, and then more recently to Brad Taylor at Triad Audio. Larry has done a poor job delivering those designs commercially, to put it mildly.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #38 of 50
Let me ask? If you folks don't light a fire under Larry's ass, where's his incentive to get these orders done? Or are you all afraid he'll go belly-up, and you'll all be out of your money for good? At least put some pressure on him, you guys have been way to passive!

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #39 of 50
Thats bad news, skylab
frown.gif

I actually was mildly interested in the Headcode, but would only purchase used here, if ever. Now I'd probably go with a GSX instead, if I were to pursue that style of amp somewhere down the line.

I really feel for you guys.
rolleyes.gif

I remember when the Diablo was taking preorders, the only thing that held me back was the style of battery. Guess I dodged a bullet.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #40 of 50
Here is some update on the production batch including pics posted in another forum.

I just clipped the content so those interested can go and have a look :-

Quote :-

Here's the pics and text:

http://ipastudio.com/photopost/data/...sembly-pcb.jpg
All non-alignment critical parts are assembled prior to final chassis assembly on the PCB. The final aligned control and interface components are installed in the chassis, tested, documented and shipped.

http://ipastudio.com/photopost/data/...embly-face.jpg
Every Chassis part is machined, Block finished by hand and anodized.

http://ipastudio.com/photopost/data/...stallation.jpg The Diablo chassis is more than just an enclosure to house the goodies. It is designed to be an armoured enclosure against outside forces that can cause damage to critical circuitry and controls. Everything is tucked into and against the superstructure to shrink the footprint and limit exposure to shock or impact damage.

http://ipastudio.com/photopost/data/...sttest-box.jpg The Diablo is covered under a 6 month Parts and Labor Warranty. All internal controls are sealed epoxy types and all discrete components and IC's are housed in a machined pocket under the PCB.

http://ipastudio.com/photopost/data/...ipped-inve.jpg Included AC Charger not in Photo

UnQuote.

F. Lo

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #42 of 50
as much as i hate how larry treated the customers, i have to admit, the DIABLO does look extremely good.

O_O Seriously, i think the long wait just for the looks alone is kinda....worth it?

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the threat of legal action started his engines.

I doubted. From the pictures, the volume of work involved to come to this state would mean it has started long before this thread turned up.

F. Lo

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #45 of 50
All I can say is when (fingers crossed) folks get these, they better sound damn, damn, damn good. As far as I am concerned, it better blow the PR II out of the water. If not, then this was all a huge waste of everyone's time and hard earned money. It doesn't even look that portable, more like transportable, ala Lisa III (which could already be better anyway). With that in mind, it should be compared to some home amps, not just the usual supermicro/hornet comparisons.

I will admit it does look fantastic. But personally I don't place that much importance on the thickness of the faceplates, and top, as others have. Metal tends to be fairly strong naturally, you don't have to have the Humvee mentality about it. Most people who bought this have very good headphones, and probably are not doing any physical activity that puts them in unreasonable danger. I think some of the delays were related to manufacturing these cases; if it were me, I would have requested a more common case and cut out about 1.5 years of wait time.

I predict some interesting activity in the For Sale forums in the coming months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back